Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Just watched Observe and Report...what a colossal waste of time!
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

I recommend "A Tale of Two Sisters," a Korean suspense movie. Not exactly scary, but gorgeous and smart.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Saw Sweeney Todd last night. Was alright...not worth seeing again, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I recommend "A Tale of Two Sisters," a Korean suspense movie. Not exactly scary, but gorgeous and smart.
          IFC and Sundance have started showing a number of Korean flicks, mainly action/drama and horror. They tend to be very well done, and pretty engrossing overall.
          "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            Saw Sweeney Todd last night. Was alright...not worth seeing again, though.
            Opinions vary, I strongly disagree. Love Sondheim and was worried that Depp and especially Carter would not be up to it, but they nailed it. Very, very good adaptation.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Anybody heard anything about "Precious"? My mom mentioned it over the weekend and I saw an ad for it (first one).

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                Anybody heard anything about "Precious"? My mom mentioned it over the weekend and I saw an ad for it (first one).
                The NY Times Magazine had a cover story about the movie a couple weeks ago. I briefly skimmed it, but seem to recall there were concerns about stereotypes, etc. It looks like an interesting movie.
                "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                  The NY Times Magazine had a cover story about the movie a couple weeks ago. I briefly skimmed it, but seem to recall there were concerns about stereotypes, etc. It looks like an interesting movie.
                  Ooh - thanks. I'll have to look for the article (I did subscribe at one time)...

Comment

Rescue Dawn:

Wow. Solid from the first minute to the last. No super-highs, no lulls. Just an even keel throughout. Steve Zahn was excellent, as was Jeremy Davies. Bale of course was good, but the three together really made each other look great.

Zhan's 1000-yard-stare was dead on. I think that was one of the things of the movie that got me the most. That was rather chilling for me.

Definitely recommend.
                    Last edited by The Rube; 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Maxed Out: documentary on the credit card industry and credit card users. Lots of personal stories from people who are so far into debt they will never recover, interviews with collectors (who have bought debt from the CC companies), and various experts/professors/analysts/etc.

Some of the info is astounding, and you want to just blow up all the CC companies. Other times you want to smack some of the people upside the head (paraphrasing one quote, from a woman who might lose her house, she said that since the CC companies were offering her such high credit limits, they must think she could pay it back).

It's a solid documentary that should be shown to students (preferably H.S. students) about how the business works, and how credit can not only help, but really really hurt, too.

Definitely a should-see for everyone, though.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

High Noon.

Finally got to see it, and it exceeded all expectations I had for it. As is readily obvious, Gary Cooper is fantastic as Will Kane. The picture hung on his shoulders, and he made you feel the desperation and despair as he finds out just how alone he really is, but still has the courage to stay and do what he feels is right. I was also impressed by Grace Kelly for a role so early in her all-too brief career.

Setting a time limit and returning to certain shots and scenes (the clock, the depot, etc.) was such an effective tool, moreso than in a lot of later movies and TV shows that do the same thing. I'm watching my own clock at the same time in anticipation of the final standoff. And taking a more methodical approach, despite the short run-time, by not overdoing the action and letting the tension keep building, only served to punctuate this.

And there were so many great camera shots. The view of the train depot and down the tracks waiting for the train to come, every single closeup of Gary Cooper's face, and especially the high shot near the end showing Cooper completely alone in the street.

I feel like I could have watched it again the moment it ended.
                        Last edited by The Paragon of Virtue; 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                          High Noon.

Finally got to see it, and it exceeded all expectations I had for it. As is readily obvious, Gary Cooper is fantastic as Will Kane. The picture hung on his shoulders, and he made you feel the desperation and despair as he finds out just how alone he really is, but still has the courage to stay and do what he feels is right. I was also impressed by Grace Kelly for a role so early in her all-too brief career.

Setting a time limit and returning to certain shots and scenes (the clock, the depot, etc.) was such an effective tool, moreso than in a lot of later movies and TV shows that do the same thing. I'm watching my own clock at the same time in anticipation of the final standoff. And taking a more methodical approach, despite the short run-time, by not overdoing the action and letting the tension keep building, only served to punctuate this.

And there were so many great camera shots. The view of the train depot and down the tracks waiting for the train to come, every single closeup of Gary Cooper's face, and especially the high shot near the end showing Cooper completely alone in the street.

I feel like I could have watched it again the moment it ended.
                          And Grace Kelly is in it. That's enough right there.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Ooh - thanks. I'll have to look for the article (I did subscribe at one time)...
                            The Times gave it a very good review, but I think the movie may be pretty intense.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/11/06...ious.html?8dpc

sigpic

Comment

I'd rather be skinned alive.
                              BigPieps: Nathan > few million others
                              BigPieps: Once again, Nathan speaks the truth.
                              GreatLakerMohawk: Bill Smith is a ******.
                              GreatLakerMohawk: Why do you question Nathan? He knows what's up. F-cking listen already.
                              GreatLakerMohawk: Nathan appears to be the only smart one here. Again.

Join us for Wild Discussion at Hockey Wilderness.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                                I'd rather be skinned alive.
                                I think there's an App for that ...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X