Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new/rented movies: DEVASTATOR!!!!!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    See, and I'm more a Dial "M", Vertigo kind of guy.
    Dial M is one of the next movies on my queue. 4 or 5
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo Swoon is in season.
    Originally posted by Husky Fan Roy If this turns out to be correct: Big Pieps > Kevin Allenspach

Comment

So I was thinking back and I remembered that Nathan and Scooby were very excited for the new Megan Fox movie that was written by Diablo Cody...did either of you see it before it was yanked out of the theaters previous to its second showing? I mean you both said it was going to be awesome because Cody wrote Juno which was great and no one who has ever written one good story could suck ever again...just want to see if that held to be true
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        So I was thinking back and I remembered that Nathan and Scooby were very excited for the new Megan Fox movie that was written by Diablo Cody...did either of you see it before it was yanked out of the theaters previous to its second showing? I mean you both said it was going to be awesome because Cody wrote Juno which was great and no one who has ever written one good story could suck ever again...just want to see if that held to be true
        I unfortunately did not get to the theater to see it. Very disappointed in that but it happens to me occasionally. I'm sure I'll be renting it.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Saw "Confidence" last night. Great modern film noir flick with Edward Burns and Rachel Weisz and Dustin Hoffman as the bad guy.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
            Saw "Confidence" last night. Great modern film noir flick with Edward Burns and Rachel Weisz and Dustin Hoffman as the bad guy.
            Hoffman was classic in that movie.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah....Transformers 2 was bad. Real bad.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo Swoon is in season.
              Originally posted by Husky Fan Roy If this turns out to be correct: Big Pieps > Kevin Allenspach

Comment

Originally posted by BigPieps View Post
                Yeah....Transformers 2 was bad. Real bad.
                But it had so many wonderful additions to the first movie! Blaxploitation-bots, the roommate, conveniently placed wrecking balls, John Turturro's butt, an even more non-sensical plot, robot Heaven...

edit: This is one of those movies where I enjoyed it in the theater, probably because it's a spectacle-type movie and the giant screen and sound make it seem better, then I like it less and less as time goes by.
                Last edited by The Paragon of Virtue; 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Also, going from yesterday's conversation, I was looking at what was on TCM in the coming week or two and saw that next Wednesday they'll be showing Vertigo and North by Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                    Also, going from yesterday's conversation, I was looking at what was on TCM in the coming week or two and saw that next Wednesday they'll be showing Vertigo and North by Northwest.
                    Hitchcock FTW
                    I never tire of watching those two, or most of his other films

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                      Hitchcock FTW
                      I never tire of watching those two, or most of his other films
                      This is my Top 21 can't miss Hitchcock List.

The 39 Steps
                      The Lady Vanishes
                      Foreign Correspondent
                      Rebecca
                      Suspicion
                      Saboteur
                      Shadow of a Doubt
                      Lifeboat
                      Spellbound
                      Notorious
                      Rope
                      Strangers on a Train
                      Dial "M" for Murder
                      Rear Window
                      To Catch a Thief
                      The Man Who Knew Too Much
                      Vertigo
                      North by Northwest
                      Psycho
                      The Birds
                      Frenzy
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I got one of those "50 Classic Horror Movie" collections for 6 bucks at Best Buy -- the kind where only 8 of the 50 movies are any good at all -- and was amazed that there were something like a dozen of Hitch's silents on it. They're all great. Also, they're pre-code, and much more interesting and mature about sexuality than anything that's been produced since.

Heard a radio play of "The Birds" on XM a month ago -- I never realized that the movie, as fun as it is, really cut the guts out of the story in favor of the love interest.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BigPieps View Post
                          I liked it.

Woody Allen fans will too.
                          Not all of us. I love Woody but Hannah and Her Sisters, Manhattan and Annie Hall are unwatchable. Maybe it's I hate Diane Keaton that much (can we edit all the Kay scenes out of the Godfather?), or I grew up with those people. In any case, ew.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Saw a couple over the weekend/tonight:

3:10 To Yuma (Bale/Crowe version): pretty good. I thought Crowe was great, and the story was solid. One might expect a little more action in this type of movie, and there wasn't, it was more character-driven, and that part of it was great. Left some questions unanswered, which I always enjoy. In hindsight, any decent actor could have taken Bale's place, and that's not something I say too often. He's not OMGBBQFTW!!!11!!! in my book, but he is a great actor.

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29: Great documentary. Showed more game coverage than I thought they would, but it definitely added to what the interviews were describing, etc. Even the "side-stories" (the politics/war/etc at the time) did not distract from the main point of what was happening on the field. In fact, I'd say it added to it.

For the football fans, it was also interesting to see how different the game was then, as far as tackles, playcalls, and even the quarterbacks (Dowling/Champi) scrambling for as long as they did before getting sacked/just winging it. I definitely recommend this one. A nice piece of history.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Netflix was in the mail and The Good Wife was a repeat so I found I had nothing to watch last night. So, I watched Dial M for Murder again. The villain is so deliciously cold in that movie and the dialogue is perfect.

#2 Hitch for me, right behind Vertigo.Vertigo first viewing for me shocked the hell out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                So, I watched Dial M for Murder again. The villain is so deliciously cold in that movie and the dialogue is perfect.

#2 Hitch for me, right behind Vertigo.Vertigo first viewing for me shocked the hell out of me.
                                Vertigo has grown on me -- the first few times I saw it I didn't like it much. Now I think it is the most "beautiful" of all the Hitch films, nosing out Spellbound, to Catch a Thief, and NNW. It's also interesting because it is the most explicit working out of Hitchcock's own personal bizarre fantasies/phobias about women.

My favorite of all AH is The Lady Vanishes, which I think is a perfect film, but goodness, they're almost all masterpieces.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X