Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Five Guys

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
    It's not worth the money. The fries are good (but anyone in the Mass. area should know the best fries you'll ever have are at the Halfway Cafe) and yes the burgers are better than McD/BK/Wendy's, but it's not worth the price. I will pay $2 more for a good burger at a sit down joint than get a burger at Five Guys.
    Which sit down joint?

I've found that most burgers at sit down restaurants are not very good. While Five Guys and Lion's Tap around here that specialize in them are very good.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Which sit down joint?

I've found that most burgers at sit down restaurants are not very good. While Five Guys and Lion's Tap around here that specialize in them are very good.
      Around here I like the burgers at a place called Nelo's cafe (Ashland, MA); my wife likes the burgers at Cheesecake Factory, there's a place by my inlaw's (New Rochelle, NY) called the Piper's Kiln that has some really good burgers, places like that....
      Originally posted by Bakunin
      Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Fixed.
        Val's fries aren't that good. They put about 5 times more salt on them than they should. Don't get me wrong, I love salt, but when the fries are completely coated in salt, I can't get behind that. Just like everything else in St, Clooud, Val's sucks.

I've been to 5 guys twice, both times I was chased away by an employee because they didn't open for 2 more days. I'm not going out of my way to try to eat there again. Besides, I've heard they don't even have a Lucy.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I've been to 5 guys twice, both times I was chased away by an employee because they didn't open for 2 more days. I'm not going out of my way to try to eat there again. Besides, I've heard they don't even have a Lucy.
          So your complaint about it is that they wouldn't serve you while the restaurant was closed?
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            So your complaint about it is that they wouldn't serve you while the restaurant was closed?
            the "2 days" is interesting... was it the same restaurant that had planned to open and bbdl forgot he tried to get served the first time? or is he just the unluckiest sob ever and visited two different five guys that were two days away from opening
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Val's fries aren't that good. They put about 5 times more salt on them than they should. Don't get me wrong, I love salt, but when the fries are completely coated in salt, I can't get behind that. Just like everything else in St, Clooud, Val's sucks.
              I'll probably go back, but I wasn't that impressed by Val's either.

On the other hand, I had the best burger in months today - not a Lucy either, but Zakia Deli in northeast Minneapolis (south of 35W at New Brighton Blvd.) makes a darn good cheeseburger. Juicy patty, very good bun, fresh toppings, and your choice of cheese. Get it with the garlic spread, but tell them to go easy or you'll be breathing death all day. Also, skip the potato wedges and go for some of their Lebanese side dishes.
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

I've had Five Guys and In-N-Out once each. Both better than your average big brand name fast food joints. I give a narrow margin to Five Guys because of the fries--they taste more "potatoey" to me.

Years ago there was a hole in the wall burger place in Lake Charles, Louisiana (home of McNeese State University). Guy had a gushing National Observer review posted on his window. And the champion burger was the "old fashioned," which featured raw onions in the meat that ultimately became grilled onions. He also used Worchestershire sauce. Hands down, best burger I've ever had. Don't remember the name. Don't know if the joint is still in business, but yummy.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

The only good thing about Val's fries is that there's a lot of them. When I lived in St Cloud, being able to get a crapload of burgers and fries for cheap at half time of a Vikings game was gold for a college student. Once you get away from college and grow up there is nothing good about Val's except the nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGood2BTheKing View Post
                    The only good thing about Val's fries is that there's a lot of them. When I lived in St Cloud, being able to get a crapload of burgers and fries for cheap at half time of a Vikings game was gold for a college student. Once you get away from college and grow up there is nothing good about Val's except the nostalgia.
                    Enough disparaging about Val's fries. They are awesome. The rest? Yeah, meh. No arguments. But don't dis the fries. They are bottom of the barrel greasy goodness.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      the "2 days" is interesting... was it the same restaurant that had planned to open and bbdl forgot he tried to get served the first time? or is he just the unluckiest sob ever and visited two different five guys that were two days away from opening
                      I have the feeling that bbdl meant to write "2 hours" instead of "2 days".
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        ding ding ding

yeah, I showed up to 2 different places, probably about 6 months apart and they were both 2 days away from opening, both looked open from the street.
                        Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I have the feeling that bbdl meant to write "2 hours" instead of "2 days".
                        definitely 2 days.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

yeah, I showed up to 2 different places, probably about 6 months apart and they were both 2 days away from opening, both looked open from the street.
                          Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that a restaurant that is 2 days from opening probably doesn't look much different than it does when it actually opens. By that point, all of the work that is being done should be internal.

My take on them is that it's not worth going out of your way, but if you happen to be near one, and want a burger, give 'em a try.
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                            I'll probably go back, but I wasn't that impressed by Val's either.

On the other hand, I had the best burger in months today - not a Lucy either, but Zakia Deli in northeast Minneapolis (south of 35W at New Brighton Blvd.) makes a darn good cheeseburger. Juicy patty, very good bun, fresh toppings, and your choice of cheese. Get it with the garlic spread, but tell them to go easy or you'll be breathing death all day. Also, skip the potato wedges and go for some of their Lebanese side dishes.
                            This.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

and the most important note why chick-fil-a is better than five guys.

on thursday i stopped at the chick-fil-a at the nashua mall place and bought a bag of sangys. just threw one in the oven and ate it for lunch

can't very well do that with a burger
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X