X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Twins 2010 Season Part III, {sigh}

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Edit: And no, I'm not thinking of liriano.
    If that's true, it's probably something that was promoted by idiots that value wins over all other stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
      If that's true, it's probably something that was promoted by idiots that value wins over all other stats.
      Could be. I wasn't really paying attention. I just caught the tail end of it.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Does Billy Smith have the sack to pull off the Slowey-Ramos-(insert mid-level prospect name here) for Cliff Lee trade?
        What trades has he made? Gomez for Hardy, Fail. Garza and I think someone else for Young and Harris and I think someone else, Fail. So no...He's just a cheaper version of Terry Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
          What trades has he made? Gomez for Hardy, Fail.
          Similarly bad OBP's with Gomez playing five more games than Hardy thus far = fail? Really? I'd call this trade a push.
          Garza and I think someone else for Young and Harris and I think someone else, Fail. So no...He's just a cheaper version of Terry Ryan.
          The "someone else" in this trade was Bartlett. He had a career year last season but is really struggling this year (hitting just .227 w/ an OBP of .322). If his struggles continue, this trade will basically become Garza for Young in the long-term with Harris and Bartlett both crapping the bed now.

Garza's good, but he's not ace caliber. His ERA+ typically runs in the 110-120 range with a WHIP of 1.2-1.3. That puts him squarely at #2-#3 in the rotation territory - even on the Twins' mediocre staff (his stats are worse than Liriano's). Thankfully, Young has improved considerably this season and looks to be an above average outfielder - so basically the organization gave up an above average pitcher for an above average outfielder.

While this trade has clearly been better for Tampa Bay thus far, over the long-term, it could end up being close to a push - particularly if MN holds onto Young for another 4-5 seasons as he enters his prime and hits for more power (he's on pace for roughly 20 HR's this season).

Comment

Similarly bad OBP's with Gomez playing five more games than Hardy thus far = fail? Really? I'd call this trade a push.
            That's a push but either of those guys (and whomever else the Twins received) for Santana is not so good.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

The "someone else" in this trade was Bartlett. He had a career year last season but is really struggling this year (hitting just .227 w/ an OBP of .322). If his struggles continue, this trade will basically become Garza for Young in the long-term with Harris and Bartlett both crapping the bed now.

Garza's good, but he's not ace caliber. His ERA+ typically runs in the 110-120 range with a WHIP of 1.2-1.3. That puts him squarely at #2-#3 in the rotation territory - even on the Twins' mediocre staff (his stats are worse than Liriano's). Thankfully, Young has improved considerably this season and looks to be an above average outfielder - so basically the organization gave up an above average pitcher for an above average outfielder.

While this trade has clearly been better for Tampa Bay thus far, over the long-term, it could end up being close to a push - particularly if MN holds onto Young for another 4-5 seasons as he enters his prime and hits for more power (he's on pace for roughly 20 HR's this season).
              I agree with pretty much everything in this post.

I'd even go so far to add that Terry Ryan is almost universally recognized (especially outside the "Zone of Whine" that encircles Minnesota) as a great GM.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

We had a shortstop, Orlando Cabrera. Hardy's doing the exact same thing he did last year with the Brewers...

The real issue with this team right now is they have no depth.
                Last edited by thebrain; 06-19-2010, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I agree with pretty much everything in this post.

I'd even go so far to add that Terry Ryan is almost universally recognized (especially outside the "Zone of Whine" that encircles Minnesota) as a great GM.
                  Yeah but that has more to do with his ability to make a farm system and make the team relevant. He is like Billy Bean...both are good at making teams good enough for a small market but nothing more. (Bean is overrated in my opinion but that is beside the point)

Ryan is better than Billy Smith though, I dont trust Smith to tie my shoes.
                  Last edited by Handyman; 06-19-2010, 11:02 AM.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Twins doing some nice work to blow a 1st inning lead in the 1st inning...

Slowey may not last longer than Blackburn.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      Slowey may not last longer than Blackburn.
                      And he doesn't as Shipman, err...Manship is in...

If it weren't for the Brewers series, the Twins could go winless on this roadtrip.

Comment

Well they didnt luck out and get to play Pittsburgh and Washington

That said the Mets don't inspire fear in me
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Mauer ties the game with 2 out in the 9th.

Would be nice if we didn't give up 9 runs two days in a row.
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

Would be nice if we didn't give up 9 runs two days in a row.
                            Oh come on now what do you want perfection
                            Last edited by Handyman; 06-19-2010, 06:23 PM.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That just happened. hahahahahaha
                              Code:

Comment

Wow.
                                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X