Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This might be more a case of the Big East descending than Nova ascending.

In all seriousness, how does the Big East hold onto their BCS slot? Is it about the Philly and NYC markets?
    big east is not that much worse than the acc football wise. granted, miami and fsu can get back to what they were a decade ago at any time.. but since miami moved from the big east to the acc they've been lousy - and fsu has been right there with them.

what hurt the big east is wvu was primed to step up, and they fell flat after rodriguez jumped. while they were playing well, they were better than acc best (vtech).

but right now they are the bottom of the auto bids, though the pac10 could rival that at any time now that they've lost their meal ticket.

sec
    big12
    big10
    pac10
    acc
    big east
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Honestly... some sort of a merger between the MWC and the WAC would probably get it done, don't you think?
      You really expect a merger between two conferences that had previously split apart would actually happen?
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        though the pac10 could rival that at any time now that they've lost their meal ticket.
        Autzen called. I can't write what they said.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That "best" team in the Big East is really lighting it up against Marshall tonight.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I can't believe SJSU vs Wisconsin is the best ESPN could do tomorrow morning?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              This might be more a case of the Big East descending than Nova ascending.

In all seriousness, how does the Big East hold onto their BCS slot? Is it about the Philly and NYC markets?
              If Nova can move into the field Temple uses then I don't see a real problem... as long as Nova ACTUALLY wants to pour in the big time dollars..... every other league member right now is throwing the dollars into it... Rutty has expanded, UConn built 100 million in training facilities... I'd have to investigate to run down the others.

You also have to note that there other matters at play... i know a lot of people have talked about ditching the basketball schools. This would provide that 9th vote to beat the Catholic bloc.

I wouldn't consider this a bad thing if it comes to pass... its all a matter of what Villanova will bring to the table.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                True, personally I could see the Big East making plays for Marshall and Memphis, Marshall would give them a little more respectablity in football, while Memphis gives them another solid basketball program along with a football program. I still think the Big East would do well to squeeze Norte Dame a little as well, if nothing more than to get them to play Big East Teams a little more often. Even if they're all in South Bend, with ND's NBC contract, thats still good exposure for those programs.
                Marhshall does no such thing and adds another team in the middle nowhere.... same for Memphis... its just a bigger nowhere. I know people have talked about UCF to get a larger presence in Florida. I remember somebody mentioning TCU... but that one requires a strong giggle.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

I think any additions to the Big East in all sports would be predicated on losing one or more teams to raiding by another conference. But if that happens, you'd have to think, at this stage, it would involve something revolving around the collapse of the XII; following the dominoes, there are probably at least a couple of teams from that wreckage that would be more attractive to the Big East than one of the mid-major teams like Memphis or Marshall.
                  Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                  Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

The biggest prize left in the big XII after Texas, Texas A&M, and oklahoma split would be Kansas and Kansas State. Kinda hard to really see them wanting to make east coast trips all of the time.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Blame Boston College for all of this. They got greedy and left the easier path to a BCS bowl and ironically more money. Nothing about BC screams ACC. I could understand Miami and Va Tech, but not BC. The Eagles weren't even the first choice for the Boston market (no pun intended.) Holy Cross was. Imagine how insignificant BC would be if Dave Gavette decided to go ask BU or if HC accepted. And here I thought, the fathers said money was evil.

Also, I'm wondering if Georgetown will be coming soon after to get the DC market for the Big East.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        That "best" team in the Big East is really lighting it up against Marshall tonight.
                        Ooof. Marshall allows a 96 yard drive, and then a 98 yard drive to let WVU tie it at 21.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          The biggest prize left in the big XII after Texas, Texas A&M, and oklahoma split would be Kansas and Kansas State. Kinda hard to really see them wanting to make east coast trips all of the time.
                          In a vacuum, sure, but back when they were talking XII breakup, it looked like it was the Big East, MWC, or C-USA for them. None of those is obviously the best choice. C-USA is probably the most attractive geographically, the Big East athletically.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                            Blame Boston College for all of this.
                            You know, as fun as it is to kick them around... I'd like to square the VT legislature in the crotch... sure VTech is full of scumbags but it would have been a great deal to get Syracuse off of our hands.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              You know, as fun as it is to kick them around... I'd like to square the VT legislature in the crotch... sure VTech is full of scumbags but it would have been a great deal to get Syracuse off of our hands.

I don't see what those maple syrup slurping hippies have to do with any of this

Comment

Are we sure that field goal missed? What's the rule for passing right over the crossbar?

Comment

Working...
                                X