Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Pretty sure this was already brought up awhile back. I think the feeling was that, for awhile at least, they need to be more picky about who they play as they move from being a small team to large team. Once they have established the ability to get big games they can go back to playing Idaho.

It has little to do with Idaho and everything to do with the broken BCS system.
    Knockout blow in this argument. Given the overall crappiness of the WAC (and then the MWC) compared to the "bigger" conferences, Boise State can't be wasting their non-conference games on teams that aren't going to help them reach the title game, even if it means having to give up a rivalry game. They've twice gone undefeated without even having the opportunity to play for a national championship. If Frank Beamer were as big of a pansy as most of the other big school coaches, this year would have been a good chance at being number three, it still could be number three in the end.
    Last edited by Red Cloud; 09-07-2010, 08:12 AM.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Remember when they played the "nobody wants to play us" card? B12 schools would not do a home/home exchange, but would be happy to host BSU? And everyone thought BSU was getting the short end?
      Which isn't entirely true, either.

Nebraska would have accepted a home and home, but Boise State wanted 1)a buy game and 2)$1million+ for doing so because that'd make them more money than they'd get from a home game. Nebraska balked at the million dollar price tag, not the game itself.

Comment

at the end of the day it is about money and BCS points...schools have had to give up a lot of rivalry games to succeed in today's ncaa...in isolation those decisions look to be cold and calculated...which means it is business, not personal...it sucks when PSU and Pitt stop playing, LSU drops Tulane etc. but to build the facilities, expand stadiums and pay coaches the decisions have to be about maximizing revenue, maintaining the BCS points and figuring out a balanced schedule and less about tradition and mutual benefit
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
          I was hoping they were throwbacks to 1975 when NMU beat Boise in the D-II Title game
          Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Wasn't the runner-up that year Western Kentucky?
          Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
          Yeah, you're right. We beat Boise sometime. The ball is in the dome "Hall of Fame" Im getting my D-II to D-I schools confused.

Edit...NCAA Quarter Final...NMU beat Boise
          Boise State never made it to the D2 championship game.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Reggie Bush will have the Heisman Trophy recalled later this month...

How does this retroactive stuff prove anything to a player/team??? I highly doubt that Reggie gives a flip about what he did at USC...
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              Knockout blow in this argument. Given the overall crappiness of the WAC (and then the MWC) compared to the "bigger" conferences, Boise State can't be wasting their non-conference games on teams that aren't going to help them reach the title game, even if it means having to give up a rivalry game. They've twice gone undefeated without even having the opportunity to play for a national championship. If Frank Beamer were as big of a pansy as most of the other big school coaches, this year would have been a good chance at being number three, it still could be number three in the end.
              They haven't played for a national championship because their non-conference schedule is usually something that a Big Ten team would put together. This year they've got Toledo and Wyoming in addition to Oregon State and Virginia Tech. Last year was Oregon, two MAC schools and a 1-AA. 2008- 1-AA, Southern Miss, Oregon, BGSU. 2007- 1-AA, Southern Miss, BGSU, Washington. Then they play New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, and Nevada instead of Iowa, Penn State and Wisconsin, and wonder why they're left out? Really?

1, maybe 2 tough games, and 10 that you're favored by 4 touchdowns. Nice gig if you can get it.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

1, maybe 2 tough games, and 10 that you're favored by 4 touchdowns. Nice gig if you can get it.
                And yet Pete Carroll failed at that almost every year.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  And yet Pete Carroll failed at that almost every year.
                  He was still good enough to humiliate the best of the Big 10 on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
                    He was still good enough to humiliate the best of the Big 10 on a regular basis.
                    That's the thing. His problem wasn't the one, maybe two tough games. His problem was that he was a ****ty coach that would rather scheme up his next prank to pull in practice than actually practice and he'd blow it against some joke of a team they should have beaten by four touchdowns.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      That's the thing. His problem wasn't the one, maybe two tough games. His problem was that he was a ****ty coach that would rather scheme up his next prank to pull in practice than actually practice and he'd blow it against some joke of a team they should have beaten by four touchdowns.
                      Some of those "joke" losses are inflated in hind sight. A number of them, including at least 2 to Oregon State, came up against teams that went 9-4 and finished in the top 25 and that loss usually came on the road in hostile environment. The only truly horrific loss I can recall the Stanford debacle at the Coliseum in the year of the upset.

Comment

Some of those "joke" losses are inflated in hind sight. A number of them, including at least 2 to Oregon State, came up against teams that went 9-4 and finished in the top 25 and that loss usually came on the road in hostile environment. The only truly horrific loss I can recall the Stanford debacle at the Coliseum in the year of the upset.
                        And that happened because Booty broke his finger and Carroll refused to pull him and go to the backup...Mark Sanchez.
                        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                          I see it as two different scenarios though. "Big" teams duck Boise because they're afraid of losing, I don't think Boise is ducking Idaho for the same reason.

whoosh. its actually the exact same thing. teams duck boise for the same reason boise is ducking idaho... no one cares when you win, people shun you when you lose.

i dont buy that boise is doing it to impove their OOC schedule. they wouldnt be playing wyoming this year if that was the case.
                          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                            whoosh. its actually the exact same thing. teams duck boise for the same reason boise is ducking idaho... no one cares when you win, people shun you when you lose.

i dont buy that boise is doing it to impove their OOC schedule. they wouldnt be playing wyoming this year if that was the case.
                            Sure they would, do you think this schedule was made last weekend? That game could of been scheduled 3 years ago. Plus Wyoming is a far bigger name then Idaho.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

2006 UCLA was pretty bad. Stanford was 2007. Those two years made the early reaction to OSU in 2008 "stop losing to ****ty teams" before anyone knew for sure what OSU was.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                2006 UCLA was pretty bad. Stanford was 2007. Those two years made the early reaction to OSU in 2008 "stop losing to ****ty teams" before anyone knew for sure what OSU was.
                                God the 2006 loss was the worst. A lot of the fanbase is STILL angry at Lane and Sark for the abysmal playcalling in that game.
                                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X