Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    If I were SEC commissioner, there's no way I would take Va Tech over Miami. Sure, Va Tech has had the stronger program recently, but you'll get a massive ratings and revenue boost by adding Miami (the city) to the SEC footprint. The booming metropolis of Blacksburg? Well, not so much...
    How about all of DC and NoVa? The Hokies bring that, too.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      How about all of DC and NoVa? The Hokies bring that, too.
      Well, you would certainly know better than I, but I've assumed that DC was UMD/UVA territory (not to mention Redskins/Wizards/Nationals/Capitals). With all that local competition, do the DC sports masses really follow a team 4.5 hours away all that closely?
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Well, you would certainly know better than I, but I've assumed that DC was UMD/UVA territory (not to mention Redskins/Wizards/Nationals/Capitals). With all that local competition, do the DC sports masses really follow a team 4.5 hours away all that closely?
        When VT is good, maybe they get some attention, but UVA still has the edge by default, and UMD recent success in basketball and even the winning seasons in football gives them a little bit of headway too.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Lets talk B10 Championship game...

Naturally, here in SE MI, they all think Ford Field is the best choice, and while the facility is good, IMHO, the B10 needs to be unique.

Lets have the December championship game OUTSIDE!

Soldier Field.

None of this pansy climate controlled championship stuff.

(this coming from an Idaho Vandal Marching Band member who played outdoors probably only 4-5 times over the course of 5 seasons... )

Comment

First of all, if we expand the topic to include the pros, then this whole area belongs to the Redskins, forever.

But if we're just talking college, there's immense support for Tech because they've been winning for a decade. NoVa is dotted with IT and engineering firms and you can't swing a dead terrapin without hitting an alumnus. The Hokies have also played at FedEx a couple times to stir the pot.

UVa is far from DC and doesn't have much of a "home team" feel in the WMA -- though ostensibly the "state university" it's a pretty elite place, it's more William & Mary than West Virginia. Maryland certainly dominates eastern MD, but they have the long ACC history and they really belong in that conference. Navy also has a fair amount of local area interest though of course their admission requirements mean they could never compete.

VaTech has been the king at least for the 6 years I have lived here. Also, DC is one of those cities (NY, Chicago) with a truly cosmopolitan mix of alumni, so a B10 beachhead here would come with ready-made "visitor" interest.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-12-2010, 09:39 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Lets talk B10 Championship game...

Naturally, here in SE MI, they all think Ford Field is the best choice, and while the facility is good, IMHO, the B10 needs to be unique.

Soldier Field.

Excellent idea.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Soldier Field.

Leather helmets.
                Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                  Excellent idea.
                  I second this motion
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Excellent idea.
                    well at least UT knows now.... "hello pac 10!!"

(AP) - Today, monday, the PAC 10 reached a deal to hold their newly created PAC10 Football Conference Championship Game in the new Cowboys Stadium located in Arlington TX.

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

VaTech has been the king at least for the 6 years I have lived here. Also, DC is one of those cities (NY, Chicago) with a truly cosmopolitan mix of alumni, so a B10 beachhead here would come with ready-made "visitor" interest.
                      And honestly, they're all over the place. My work has a ton of people from Michigan. There's a ton of Penn State around the area... and then you get the rest in some degree or another around the city. Its definitely an ACC/B10 split around here.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        well at least UT knows now.... "hello pac 10!!"

(AP) - Today, monday, the PAC 10 reached a deal to hold their newly created PAC10 Football Conference Championship Game in the new Cowboys Stadium located in Arlington TX.

Here is the University of Texas proposal for Pac10 alignment:

West:
                        Washington
                        WSU
                        Oregon
                        OSU
                        Cal
                        Stanford
                        USC
                        UCLA
                        AZ
                        ASU
                        Texas Tech
                        A&M
                        Colorado

East:
                        Texas
                        Baylor

Winner of each division will play in the conference championship game.
                        Last edited by Greyeagle; 06-12-2010, 12:57 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Excellent idea.
                          Indeed. That's the sort of thing you need to do to open the door down the road to a nice SEC-Big Ten matchup at Soldier field in a future playoff.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

First of all, if we expand the topic to include the pros, then this whole area belongs to the Redskins, forever.

But if we're just talking college, there's immense support for Tech because they've been winning for a decade. NoVa is dotted with IT and engineering firms and you can't swing a dead terrapin without hitting an alumnus. The Hokies have also played at FedEx a couple times to stir the pot.

UVa is far from DC and doesn't have much of a "home team" feel in the WMA -- though ostensibly the "state university" it's a pretty elite place, it's more William & Mary than West Virginia. Maryland certainly dominates eastern MD, but they have the long ACC history and they really belong in that conference. Navy also has a fair amount of local area interest though of course their admission requirements mean they could never compete.

VT is also a much larger school than UVA in terms of student enrollment - I want to say their undergrad enrollment in nearly double that of UVA.
                            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Conflicting reports. Texas may have been convinced to stay in the Big 12 (Big 10? Whatever they are now) instead of leading the charge to the Pac-10 (Pac-11, Pac-whatever) which would mean the other mass exodus of team would stop. It would be interesting if conference expansion stops here...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Conflicting reports. Texas may have been convinced to stay in the Big 12 (Big 10? Whatever they are now) instead of leading the charge to the Pac-10 (Pac-11, Pac-whatever) which would mean the other mass exodus of team would stop. It would be interesting if conference expansion stops here...
                                One GUY, this Chip Brown guy from orangebloods.net or something like that, has said that Texas is staying. One source. A source that's been wrong quite frequently before.
                                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X