Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Baylor may be getting an invite to the Pac 10 after all.

Reports are that Texas A&M wants to seek membership to the SEC, while securing dates to play Texas every year to keep the 100 year old rivalry alive.
    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
    2006-2007: 15-24-2
    2007-2008: 20-20-4
    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Ok, I have a serious question: Why would texas be looking to go to the PAC-10 while A&M is looking at the SEC?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Ok, I have a serious question: Why would texas be looking to go to the PAC-10 while A&M is looking at the SEC?
        A&M seems to think they are a better fit for the SEC...from the Dallas Morning News:

"A Texas A&M move to the SEC would make sense on several levels for both parties. The Aggies are historical rivals with Arkansas and LSU and the association would be geographically less taxing than the Pac-10, which would presumably include trips to Washington state and/or Oregon even under a divisional format.
        For the SEC, adding a member in the state of Texas would make the league that much more attractive for its television partners, ESPN and CBS, and would further open Texas' fertile talent base to SEC recruiters."

Also interesting to note, A&M and Arkansas signed a 10 year deal to play in Cowboy stadium every year. Not sure what would happen with that deal since they'd be in the same conf.

Born a Black Bear
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
          A&M seems to think they are a better fit for the SEC...from the Dallas Morning News:

"A Texas A&M move to the SEC would make sense on several levels for both parties. The Aggies are historical rivals with Arkansas and LSU and the association would be geographically less taxing than the Pac-10, which would presumably include trips to Washington state and/or Oregon even under a divisional format.
          For the SEC, adding a member in the state of Texas would make the league that much more attractive for its television partners, ESPN and CBS, and would further open Texas' fertile talent base to SEC recruiters."

Also interesting to note, A&M and Arkansas signed a 10 year deal to play in Cowboy stadium every year. Not sure what would happen with that deal since they'd be in the same conf.
          I guess that does make a lot of sense. I suppose as long as they can schedule texas yearly (hey wisconsin, take note on SOS regarding NC games...) Playing texas every year as one of your NC takes some serious balls
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            As do the facts..

I am coming to realize that none of us here could run for political office as many of our posts could be used as campaign fodder.

Greed is good. D-I football and basketball are becoming more like a minor league than an co-curricular activity. The big 64 do not need the NCAA. The NCAA needs them.

The rest of D-1 is tagging along hoping for table scraps.
            My original post was sarcasm. UBC to the Pac 10 and then Phil Knight comes in with a check and a set of ugly uniforms and the P10(16?)HC is born!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
              My original post was sarcasm. UBC to the Pac 10 and then Phil Knight comes in with a check and a set of ugly uniforms and the P10(16?)HC is born!!!!!
              I am not putting up a running count for the P10HC... I suppose with Nebraska joining the Big Ten in lieu of Notre Dame, I should update the BTHC vs. College Hockey score.
              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I guess that does make a lot of sense. I suppose as long as they can schedule texas yearly (hey wisconsin, take note on SOS regarding NC games...) Playing texas every year as one of your NC takes some serious balls
                I mean, they've been playing for 100 years...and while its a rivalry, the Longhorns are very aware and so far have held talks and have been very helpful with the Aggies. From what I have read, the Aggies are very real about joining the SEC if they can play Texas every season. If the SEC were to add a team, Im sure they'd go for one more for an even number, most likely VA Tech or maybe even Miami. If A&M doesnt join, look for schools such as Baylor, Kansas, Utah to get invites from the Pac 10/11

Still think the Big East dodges a bullet still, but if the SEC raids some ACC teams, the Big East has to be aggressive in courting other ACC teams before the ACC turns to UConn, 'Cuse, Cinci. The Big East should be eyeing Virginia, Maryland, Boston College IMO.

Born a Black Bear

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

I mean, they've been playing for 100 years...and while its a rivalry, the Longhorns are very aware and so far have held talks and have been very helpful with the Aggies. From what I have read, the Aggies are very real about joining the SEC if they can play Texas every season. If the SEC were to add a team, Im sure they'd go for one more for an even number, most likely VA Tech or maybe even Miami. If A&M doesnt join, look for schools such as Baylor, Kansas, Utah to get invites from the Pac 10/11

Still think the Big East dodges a bullet still, but if the SEC raids some ACC teams, the Big East has to be aggressive in courting other ACC teams before the ACC turns to UConn, 'Cuse, Cinci. The Big East should be eyeing Virginia, Maryland, Boston College IMO.
                  Psssh... 100 years? Minnesota Wisconsin has it by a full graduating class

But seriously. I hear ya. I think A&M fits in the Big Ten or the SEC. SEC has the historic rivalries and the overall geography. But I think the Big Ten would work out in the end (despite it not going to happen).
                  Code:

Comment

Still play the game in Cowboy Stadium, only now it counts in conference standings?

It's not unheard of for intraconference rivalry games to be played at neutral sites, and I can think of at least three current examples: OU-Texas, Florida-UGA, and Mizzou-KU.
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

• Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                      I've felt all along the Texas-A&M tether was not that strong. Whether or it actually gets severed remains to be seen.

Comment

ads on Nebraska TV : Big Ten Big East Big Red
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

True that! Simon Fraser is playing in the GNAC this fall, something I'm sure we'll go over a few times in the D2 football thread this fall.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Actually, I'm starting to think that it might be a better deal for the SEC to bring in Texas A&M and Baylor. That would give the SEC more of a foothold in recuiting Texas, and it keeps Baylor a major player in Texas, helping to make it harder for schools like Texas and a&m to recuit their own state. And would give the SEC more eyeballs watching them in Texas.

Plus, if you're more of an also ran in the SEC, it works because you're not bringing in another fanatical fan base of football fans, but a school that should improve them in other sports. Plus, right now Baylor is scared ****less about all that's going on and for them to get a life line from the SEC, hell, they're not going to mind too much if your team cheats a little.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Texas A & M is generally in first place when it comes to the smallest number of states represented on a roster. There have been a couple of years where the number is two: Texas and Louisiana.

For many years A & M had a deal with LSU which called for the Aggies to play in Baton Rouge EVERY year. However, I was in Tiger Stadium the night Emery Bellard brought his wish bone offense and a 260 pound freshman fullback named George Woodard to town and smacked the dog snot out of LSU.

I think it's unlikely the Aggies will wind up in the SEC unless they can get some assurances about the game with Texas, and even then I think it's a longshot.

But, if the Aggies do wind up in the SEC,it will help their recruiting. . .in Louisiana. But not necessarily at the expense of LSU. More likely at the expense of the other D-I programs in Louisiana.

Short of a major scandal, I don't see anything loosening Texas' grip on most of the most desireable recruits in Texas.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

From what I have read, the Aggies are very real about joining the SEC if they can play Texas every season. If the SEC were to add a team, Im sure they'd go for one more for an even number, most likely VA Tech or maybe even Miami.
                                If I were SEC commissioner, there's no way I would take Va Tech over Miami. Sure, Va Tech has had the stronger program recently, but you'll get a massive ratings and revenue boost by adding Miami (the city) to the SEC footprint. The booming metropolis of Blacksburg? Well, not so much...

Miami is a pretty small school for the SEC and has relatively modest attendance, but I think that would change once they started having conference games with the likes of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. This article points out the attendance bumps Miami already got when playing Florida and Tennessee. But of course, the real key is the TV ratings, and Blacksburg just can't compete in that area.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X