Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Back in the days of the Southwest conference (when cheating was, shall we say, rampant) a Houston TV station did a series reporting on recruiting corruption. I'll never forget the young executive who was a TCU supporter saying the going rate for a top flight running back was 25-30,000 dollars! Texas CHRISTIAN University. Much later the Southern Baptist Convention's Baylor reached the bottom of the pit when a basketball player tapped a teammate behind the ear with a 9mm slug. And the then basketball coach reasoned that since the kid was dead, his reputation didn't matter any more, so he'd implicate the kid to divert suspicion from his own involvement in drugs and cheating and who knows what else?
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      South Carolina is in the SEC and it snows in Oregon, so of course they've never played.
      You forgot to mention that Jeff Jackson didn't win a title again this year.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
        You forgot to mention that Jeff Jackson didn't win a title again this year.
        I didn't see any reason to besmirch the basketball team at Furman. They're not exactly a national power.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I didn't see any reason to besmirch the basketball team at Furman. They're not exactly a national power.
          *Sigh*

I'll explain it. Jeff Jackson is utterly irrelevant to the conversation. Your shtick about regular season scheduling? Also irrelevant. SC played UConn and Iowa in bowl games, why not an equally random west coast team?

Anyway, digression over.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I assume they are taking book in Vegas on what teams end up in what conferences, right?
            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Something for USC to think about while they ponder their planned appeal... Joe McKnight didn't figure into this report. There might be a little bit of a Sword of Damocles hanging over the head of USC on that point right now.
              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                I assume they are taking book in Vegas on what teams end up in what conferences, right?
                I don't know about Vegas, but there might be a bookie at USC...

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  *Sigh*

I'll explain it. Jeff Jackson is utterly irrelevant to the conversation. Your shtick about regular season scheduling? Also irrelevant. SC played UConn and Iowa in bowl games, why not an equally random west coast team?

Anyway, digression over.
                  Oh, so the fact that they haven't played a cold weather game since the Kennedy Administration is irrelevant. Sorry. My bad.

Comment

Taking digs at the SEC's OOC scheduling is traditional in college football, Must we throw out everything in the race to the super-conferences?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                      Interesting. So they only passed legislation in 2007 that would allow them to take away BCS titles from teams that used ineligible players.

I love the arrogance of the NCAA. Who cares about ex post facto. We do what we want.
                      Weren't you the one whining and *****ing about the NCAA having nothing to do with the championship game?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
                        Taking digs at the SEC's OOC scheduling is traditional in college football, Must we throw out everything in the race to the super-conferences?
                        Many traditions are dying. The Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry that used to produce the Game of the Century of the Week is gone. USC is this close to the death penalty! Someone has to carry on some of the traditions.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Weren't you the one whining and *****ing about the NCAA having nothing to do with the championship game?
                        The NCAA was a great and wonderful organization until they dropped the hammer on a school he likes. Now they're evil incarnate.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Well he is at work and I am unemployed so I figured I would try and help him out a bit

I don't think Kansas would be a detriment either. They wont raise the amount each team makes like a Texas or Notre Dame will, but I dont think the member schools will lose anything should they join. JMHO though.
                          hahaha, thanks Handy.

regarding it being a groundless assertion, Craig, I think you're completely ignoring the basketball side of the equation. Kansas is one of the premier teams in the nation. The cash they bring in coupled with the football money is amazing.

And let's not forget, if the #11 team in terms of total revenue can't make the cut, the list gets ridiculously short from there. What would Notre Dame bring to the table? Not a whole lot of new households as the BTN already covers that market. Where does notre dame's extra revenue come from?

The other thing you're forgetting, is that with the addition of these teams, the conference can host a championship game that will bring in some serious revenue itself.

It's late, I'm tired, and this reply is probably only half coherent so I'll probably have to clean up the fallout in the morning.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No, I just said that the NCAA doesn't actually regulate any of the bowl games or the BCS and they're not considered NCAA games. I don't actually know the NCAA legislation that allows them to ban teams from the postseason. I figure they have some deal with the bowls themselves that prevent bowls from inviting teams that are banned from participating.

I've always hated the NCAA, even if they got something right with Maine hockey they messed up here. Not just because it was my team...look at the punishments over the year for what happened. If you look at the other punishments, they're making an example of USC, and I never like that crap.

We've also never had a situation like this exactly.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

The other thing you're forgetting, is that with the addition of these teams, the conference can host a championship game that will bring in some serious revenue itself.
                              I'm not forgetting that at all. But that only applies for team #12 (the one that gets the Integer over the hump to having a championship game). It doesn't apply to team #13 and team #14.

As far as ND goes... I'm fairly certain we'd raise the value of the ESPN/ABC contract, because that would now have ND's home games in addition to just about all of ND's away games. I don't know that we'd give the BTN the eastern seaboard, but I'd bet we'd go farther to getting them a nice payday in NYC than Rutgers or Syracuse football. Would it be enough to pay for ourselves? I couldn't say, but it's more to the table than KU has. I really think you're overestimating how much basketball matters, but maybe the Big East just hasn't done a good job of selling themselves there.
                              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                                I'm not forgetting that at all. But that only applies for team #12 (the one that gets the Integer over the hump to having a championship game). It doesn't apply to team #13 and team #14.

As far as ND goes... I'm fairly certain we'd raise the value of the ESPN/ABC contract, because that would now have ND's home games in addition to just about all of ND's away games. I don't know that we'd give the BTN the eastern seaboard, but I'd bet we'd go farther to getting them a nice payday in NYC than Rutgers or Syracuse football. Would it be enough to pay for ourselves? I couldn't say, but it's more to the table than KU has. I really think you're overestimating how much basketball matters, but maybe the Big East just hasn't done a good job of selling themselves there.
                                Honestly, I don't think the Big Ten will automatically have a championship game, nor do I think championship games are automatic revenue machines. The ACC's certainly hasn't been one, and the SEC's big game still doesn't produce that much revenue once you split it 12 ways.

But yes, you're absolutely right that football is the key. KU's basketball program makes them a decent plan B for the Pac-16 if they don't get one of the schools they want.
                                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                                X