Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

I think part of the USC deal is that the NCAA wants to make a firm statement that you can't look the otherway, say "La-la-la" really loudly while agents (who you invited into the locker room) cut deals with players behind your back, and then profess to be Shocked! that there is cheating going on here!

While the USC staff may have, for the most part, done no more than turn a blind eye to most of the problems, that blind eye is in itself a big problem. It fostered a culture that gave the Trojans an unfair advantage.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Going back into state politics again, would there be irritation from the Virginia government if Va Tech moved to the SEC 6 years after they strongarmed the Cavaliers into taking the Hokies over Syracuse?
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Oh, and since 2008, these are the only things that will allow for an appeal to overturn part of a punishment. Good luck with that, TBA.

• The ruling was clearly contrary to the evidence.

• The individual or school did not actually break NCAA rules.

• There was a procedural error that caused the COI to find a violation.

• The penalty is excessive AND is an abuse of discretion.

You *could* try the last one, but the fact that they investigated this long probably means they were making sure the punishments would stick.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
          Well the NCAA does think it has powers that our Founders didn't give to our Federal government or the State governments...
          There's no constitutional right to play DI sports, and the NCAA is not the government, and they don't have any obligation to conduct their own investigations in the same way that the government might. The NCAA's member institutions voluntarily agree to be bound by the NCAA's various rules and policies and its processes of enforcing those rules. If they don't like it, they can go play in whatever the west coast equivalent of the NESCAC is.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
            There's no constitutional right to play DI sports, and the NCAA is not the government, and they don't have any obligation to conduct their own investigations in the same way that the government might. The NCAA's member institutions voluntarily agree to be bound by the NCAA's various rules and policies and its processes of enforcing those rules. If they don't like it, they can go play in whatever the west coast equivalent of the NESCAC is.
            Blasphemy. There is only one NESCAC.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Going back into state politics again, would there be irritation from the Virginia government if Va Tech moved to the SEC 6 years after they strongarmed the Cavaliers into taking the Hokies over Syracuse?
              I don't know. UVA and its grads are pretty proud of their public ivy status bordering on insufferable at times. They're one of the few universities that might turn up their nose at a step down even with the increased revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                But this is USC we are talking about...USC!!!
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  The new SMU!!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

The Gamecocks?
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                      Of course I am, USC's coaches weren't actively cheating.
                      No, they just actively avoided doing anything about the cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        It's called capitalism, Hippie Johnny!
                        Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                        USA! USA! USA! USA!
                        Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Welcome to America!
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Welcome to Planet Earth. We hope you enjoy yourself.
                        Really? Are you new to the world?
                        Yeah and posts like these show how sad it is. The guys are crooks and we and the people in charge let get away with it because they'll bring us a few wins in the short term and totally destory the school/team etc's image for the future.

The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          The Gamecocks?
                          *****http://football.bowtiebetting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/south-carolina-cheerleaders.jpg******

Comment

Good news! USC has hired former FBI Director Louis Freeh to help protect their student (LOL) athletes from agents.

That'll help!

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                              *****http://football.bowtiebetting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/south-carolina-cheerleaders.jpg******
                              You know they love it.

Side note: have they ever played Oregon State? Just wonderin'
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                                Side note: have they ever played Oregon State? Just wonderin'
                                South Carolina is in the SEC and it snows in Oregon, so of course they've never played.

Comment

Working...
                                X