Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    I think part of the problem for Kansas is that they are tied closely to Kansas State, kind of like how the Texas state schools are trying to go as a package (though A&M sounds like they could change this). I've read a place or two that Kansas won't likely move somewhere without Kansas State being in on the deal, probably due to state politics. I'm thinking Kansas is a more attractive target than Kansas State, but Kansas doesn't bring enough to the table to make a conference exited about a combined Kansas/Kansas State package.
    Yeah, that's certainly part of it.

Texas and A&M is different, as both have good academics, strong research, and good athletics - the poison pill in that deal would be Texas Tech and possibly Baylor (who gets added on via politics despite being a private school).

Kansas might want to ditch K-State, but maybe they can't. KU has a lot going for it, especially with close proximity to a decently large market in KC - it's just kinda stuck in the middle geographically. Nebraska has bolted to the North, CU to the west, and KU doesn't have an obvious place to go.
    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      I would joke about proposing a 'state' conference for also-rans like Kansas State, Iowa State, A&M, etc. But nothing would surprise me at this point.
      I wouldn't put A&M in the category with those other two. A&M is a rather appealing target, certainly much more than schools like Kansas State and Iowa State.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
        So USC basketball does something way worse than football and they get a slap on the wrist. USC football has one player and his family do something and they get the worst punishment in NCAA football history since SMU.
        And they had a coach on staff that knew everything that was going on and reported NONE of it. That's gross negligence.
        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          How would a 16 team football conference work? Two divisions of eight? Play each team in your division and then one crossover per year? A constant crossover? Or rotating?

I still think a 16 team football conference would be absolutely ridiculous.
          I don't think any of those details have been worked out yet, and it would depend on the conference. One idea would be to have Four 4-team pods, where 2 of them will form a division for a season, then they would rotate. You'd share a pod with your closest rivals.

The Big Ten is close to this right now with the designated rivals that never rotate off the schedule:

* Illinois: Indiana, Northwestern
          * Indiana: Illinois, Purdue
          * Purdue: Indiana, Northwestern
          * Northwestern: Illinois, Purdue

* Michigan: Michigan State, Ohio State
          * Michigan State: Michigan, Penn State
          * Ohio State: Michigan, Penn State
          * Penn State: Michigan State, Ohio State

* Wisconsin: Iowa, Minnesota
          * Iowa: Minnesota, Wisconsin
          * Minnesota: Iowa, Wisconsin

Of course, they could also completely do away with non-conference games and who knows what would happen then.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
            Sucks that slimeball Pete Carroll skipped town, and ordinarlly I'd feel sorry for his successor. But given who his successor is, I hope that they have a game scheduled with Tennesee in three years.
            Yeah, just too bad that Kiffen won't still be there to receive the beat down personally...
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
              And they had a coach on staff that knew everything that was going on and reported NONE of it. That's gross negligence.
              Bordering on conspiracy.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                Right, but that's not an equivalent number to show what a team's value to a conference would be. To have it make sense, a team would have to add as much value to the shared revenue pool as it would take out. For example, if the Big Ten hands out $22 million per team, that means that a new team must add at least that much value to the existing TV revenues in order for the new money to break even (since you're now dividing that pie by 12 teams instead of 11).

KU's higher revenue than ND could be (and probably is) solely attributable to larger crowds at Allen Fieldhouse. That's of no benefit to a conference, however, since that ticket revenue isn't shared amongst the conference.
                Right, but how is that relevant to what was being discussed. Again, dx threw out numbers, Craig disagreed so I showed the numbers. You are interjecting a whole different argument into this that isnt part of it at all.

I am not disputing what you are saying, I am saying your point is not part of what was being discussed as near as I can tell. You are hijacking it to make another point. This isnt about what school would be better, it is about whether KU brought in $3 million more than ND did as dx said. My numbers said they did...and they are the official numbers so I am going to trust them.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

(makes note to check tennessean.com sports section tomorrow morning)
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                    So USC basketball does something way worse than football and they get a slap on the wrist. USC football has one player and his family do something and they get the worst punishment in NCAA football history since SMU.
                    Yet another case of justice, NCAA style. Really, expecting anything remotely consistent or logical from the NCAA is quiet fanciful. Alabama, with the slap on the wrist they got recently, has to be laughing their heads off as they polish their BCS title trophy.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      How would a 16 team football conference work? Two divisions of eight? Play each team in your division and then one crossover per year? A constant crossover? Or rotating?

I still think a 16 team football conference would be absolutely ridiculous.
                      More than likely. Or two crossover games - one rotating and one "traditional" (try not to laugh) rival.

Another great thing about leaving the NCAA (and its rules) behind is that these mega-conferences can increase the schedule. Another home gate or two will only help add revenue (and extending the schedule would be great TV money!). Of course, the players union will never allow an expanded schedule...oh that's right...this is college...no union.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Right, but how is that relevant to what was being discussed. Again, dx threw out numbers, Craig disagreed so I showed the numbers. You are interjecting a whole different argument into this that isnt part of it at all.

I am not disputing what you are saying, I am saying your point is not part of what was being discussed as near as I can tell. You are hijacking it to make another point. This isnt about what school would be better, it is about whether KU brought in $3 million more than ND did as dx said. My numbers said they did...and they are the official numbers so I am going to trust them.
                        Because the entire conversation before then was using TV and shared revenue as the starting point - hence the $15 million figure for ND's deal with NBC and the $22 million figure for the Big Ten's annual payout to members.

Taking Craig's numbers, that's 21 million for ND in a good year (15 from NBC, 4 for a bowl game, and 2 from the Big East for hoops). By interjecting the idea that KU is $3m more valuable than ND, that implies that KU is worth ~$24m per year in shared revenue. That's certainly not the case.

Dx moved the goalposts.

my other blog

Comment

Does the $22 mil that the Big Ten pays out include the bowl game revenue?
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Yes and Craig challenged dx's numbers about AD revenue, not the previous conversation. Keep trying but you are still broadening out a post that needs no broadening. Craig wanted proof, I gave him proof end of friggin story. Just ignore it and make your conference arguments on their own, they arent wrong just irrelevent to why I posted those specific numbers.

If you tell me that you dont believe 2 + 2 = 4 and then I post proof that it does that is the end of it.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              Does the $22 mil that the Big Ten pays out include the bowl game revenue?
                              Yes.

That's supposed to be the sum of their ESPN/ABC football contract, their ESPN and CBS basketball contract, as well as the annual revenue from the BTN. The key is that each school gets 6 mil a year from BTN, plus the raw profits above and beyond that are split with Fox and the conference.

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Nice job by Pete Carroll there. Got out just in time.
                                Yeah...he and Jim Calipari are real winners

Why is it okay for scumbags like Carroll and Calipari to keep covienently "getting out just in time" before the program they leave goes to shambles and they move on to better jobs and more money?

It's a crock of horse$h!t and those two are everything that's wrong with college sports today.

When did the workplace start rewarding guys who lied, cheated, etc to get for money when average joe goes to work everyday and plays by the rules just so he can put food on the table for his family while those two get away with whatever they want and get rewarded for it.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X