Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    No, I mean similar.

The Integer gets about 22 million per school, total.

ND gets something like 15 million from NBC if rumors are to be believed. In a good year, we'll get at least 4 million in bowl money, and we get about 2 million from the Big East for non-football sports.
    The thing is that the Big Ten, with the BTN, is poised to grow that value a great deal. ND's deal with NBC is static and likely to shrink, particularly if ND finds itself on the outside looking in to a world of the Super Death Star Conference.
    "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Here are the numbers from 07-08 FWIW:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-tell-you.html

11th Kansas $86,009,257 Big 12
      14th Notre Dame $83,352,439 Independent

That seems to be total athletic budget.

edit to add:

20th Nebraska $75,492,884 Big 12
      That number doesn't tell you about shared revenue, though. That figure in relation to the Big Ten and Notre Dame is the stuff that's shared amongst schools, i.e. TV revenue, Bowl payouts, and the like. That total revenue includes ticket sales, merchandise sales, and other revenues that are not shared amongst the conference.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

my other blog

Comment

Here are the numbers from 07-08 FWIW:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-tell-you.html
        These revenues include generated revenue (such as proceeds from ticket sales and sponsorships) and allocated revenue (such as tuition waivers, money from student fees and direct institutional support.)
        Those figures include state support of university athletics.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

So USC basketball does something way worse than football and they get a slap on the wrist. USC football has one player and his family do something and they get the worst punishment in NCAA football history since SMU.
          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
            That number doesn't tell you about shared revenue, though. That figure in relation to the Big Ten and Notre Dame is the stuff that's shared amongst schools, i.e. TV revenue, Bowl payouts, and the like. That total revenue includes ticket sales, merchandise sales, and other revenues that are not shared amongst the conference.
            He was asking for proof of dx's numbers that Kansas brought in $3 million more than Notre Dame...those are the official athletic department revenues for those respective schools in that specific year. That was the point, if Craig wants it further broken down he has access to a computer he can do it himself.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
              So USC basketball does something way worse than football and they get a slap on the wrist. USC football has one player and his family do something and they get the worst punishment in NCAA football history since SMU.
              Part of it is the cumulative effect...the basketball program got the school put on probation. The football program broke the rules while the school was on probation.

Think of it as a card for cumulative fouls. The first one might have been way worse than the one that ultimately drew the card.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                Those figures include state support of university athletics.
                Yes I know, this isnt my arugument I am just offering some numbers since Craig doubted them so much. As someone who wants Notre Dame nowhere near the Big Ten I hope the numbers convince the Domers to stay away...I revel in their mediocrity
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                  Sucks that slimeball Pete Carroll skipped town, and ordinarlly I'd feel sorry for his successor. But given who his successor is, I hope that they have a game scheduled with Tennesee in three years.
                  Aren't you a Maine fan?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Part of it is the cumulative effect...the basketball program got the school put on probation. The football program broke the rules while the school was on probation.

Think of it as a card for cumulative fouls. The first one might have been way worse than the one that ultimately drew the card.
                    Exactly. USC has no grounds for any complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Exactly. USC has no grounds for any complaints.
                      Nice job by Pete Carroll there. Got out just in time.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

The stupidest part is USC self sanctioned the basketball team with a really lame sanction and the NCAA bought it.

The cumulative foul is actually for the USC diving team or swimming from 2001. Those idiots got the Florida State kind of academic help.

Comment

He was asking for proof of dx's numbers that Kansas brought in $3 million more than Notre Dame...those are the official athletic department revenues for those respective schools in that specific year. That was the point, if Craig wants it further broken down he has access to a computer he can do it himself.
                          Right, but that's not an equivalent number to show what a team's value to a conference would be. To have it make sense, a team would have to add as much value to the shared revenue pool as it would take out. For example, if the Big Ten hands out $22 million per team, that means that a new team must add at least that much value to the existing TV revenues in order for the new money to break even (since you're now dividing that pie by 12 teams instead of 11).

KU's higher revenue than ND could be (and probably is) solely attributable to larger crowds at Allen Fieldhouse. That's of no benefit to a conference, however, since that ticket revenue isn't shared amongst the conference.

my other blog

Comment

I think part of the problem for Kansas is that they are tied closely to Kansas State, kind of like how the Texas state schools are trying to go as a package (though A&M sounds like they could change this). I've read a place or two that Kansas won't likely move somewhere without Kansas State being in on the deal, probably due to state politics. I'm thinking Kansas is a more attractive target than Kansas State, but Kansas doesn't bring enough to the table to make a conference exited about a combined Kansas/Kansas State package.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I would joke about proposing a 'state' conference for also-rans like Kansas State, Iowa State, A&M, etc. But nothing would surprise me at this point.
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

How would a 16 team football conference work? Two divisions of eight? Play each team in your division and then one crossover per year? A constant crossover? Or rotating?

I still think a 16 team football conference would be absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X