Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    What I find funny is that an excercise meant to force Notre dame into the big10 fold has split open a tenuous big12 involving the pac10.

I think at this point nobody knows what's going on... and I think further its possible that nobody will like the result... even those orchestrating the moves. This could end in a lumpy mess... and I've seen on person opine that instead of that magical "64" you could end up at an awkward "40something" leaving a lot of former major players and those who would be contenders sitting out of the whole mess.
    Nah, the major powers will keep a few small schools around...Goliath needs someone to beat up.

Comment

From USA Today: Pac-10 announces addition of Colorado.
      Still waiting to see what Nebraska does.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
        Even with PSU, that would have just kept the Big East in the same situation as the current Big XII finds itself - lopsided in favor of Texas (or PSU) and highly unstable.
        With Penn State in the fold, they probably have a better TV deal, which might have kept Miami, VT, and BC from leaving.
        HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Nah, the major powers will keep a few small schools around...Goliath needs someone to beat up.
          See... here's the thing... you assume that they're smart and rational (and since I'm at work I'll avoid the politics bit)... I assume that the people in the conferences think certain things... the people at the schools think certain things... and in the end there's some awkward mess. I could go into this in detail... but I don't think the end product of this "re-alignment" will be clean by any means... even for those for whom will be the "winners".

I think the smoke will clear... and a new reality will be carved out of this mess... but it won't be something ideal and it'll pose new challenges. This is all an awkward money game... a "multi-super conference" quasi-pro setup requires planning. This mess is the opposite of planning.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

See... here's the thing... you assume that they're smart and rational (and since I'm at work I'll avoid the politics bit)... I assume that the people in the conferences think certain things... the people at the schools think certain things... and in the end there's some awkward mess. I could go into this in detail... but I don't think the end product of this "re-alignment" will be clean by any means... even for those for whom will be the "winners".

I think the smoke will clear... and a new reality will be carved out of this mess... but it won't be something ideal and it'll pose new challenges. This is all an awkward money game... a "multi-super conference" quasi-pro setup requires planning. This mess is the opposite of planning.
            I think there are problems looming, but I think a few people at these schools have already done planning they're just being quiet about it. And no, not everything goes as planned and there are usually unforeseen circumstances, but I think when all is said and done it will be settled fairly equitably. There should be more than one Congresscritter who holds hearings to inquire about collusion.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
              If the Big Ten decides they want to go after SU and Pitt as well as Rutgers, then it's time to call it off. As of yet, no one has any idea what direction the Big Ten wants to go in.
              On these points I register no disagreement. Syracuse is perhaps the linchpin; it's the long-term rivalries that the BEB schools (particularly Nova, Gtown and the Johnnies) have built with Syracuse that they want to preserve.

If the Big East wants to fight though, re-grabbing BC and VaTech as well as UVA and Maryland might not be the worst idea. Let the Carolina schools, Georgia Tech and Miami go to the SEC and be done with it.
              It's not a crazy idea, but it's not one for which I am sanguine regarding its success, especially not in the face of the ACC getting a huge new contract with ESPN.

You overestimate how many people in NYC give a rats arse about Rutgers.
              It's less about the NYC television market and more about the increased subscriber fees that the BTN can get out of New Jersey (and presumably Philadelphia-area as well) cable companies.

Discussions of how best to get the NYC college football market begin with Notre Dame and follow with Penn State.
              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

This is a load of crap.

There's been plenty of planning and strategizing, it's all just been done behind the scenes.

Think of all the college hockey realignment proposals we've seen. How many of them end up massively screwing over a few teams? Even if those proposals are entirely rational and thought-out, you expect those schools to just roll over and take it?

No, the end product won't be clean, but that won't change with more 'planning.' That's not how systems like this evolve.
                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

There are at least 10 Notre Dame fans in the NY SMSA for every Rutgers fan. Maybe 20. Maybe even 50. They're the closest there is to a "home" football power in the NYC area, and that isn't saying much.

Nobody northeast of Happy Valley cares about college football.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So, if the college football powers opt out of the NCAA, does that mean USC can ignore the sanctions headed its way?
                    (I'm only half kidding here...dropping out of the NCAA would mean they can ignore their rules)

Comment

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I think it would be outstanding if Colorado and Nebraska left the Big XII, but the conference remained intact, and we ended up with a Twelve team Big Ten and a X team Big XII. Try explaining that to someone new to American college sports.
                      SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                      UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                      Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                      Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                      UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                      UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        There are at least 10 Notre Dame fans in the NY SMSA for every Rutgers fan. Maybe 20. Maybe even 50. They're the closest there is to a "home" football power in the NYC area, and that isn't saying much.

Nobody northeast of Happy Valley cares about college football.
                        Don't mention that in Chestnut Hill.

People in the northeast care about college football, we just have loyalty to a bunch of teams, not one unifying team.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Don't mention that in Chestnut Hill.
                          By northeast standards BC is the biggest we have, but they generate less interest than some Texas high school football teams. It's just qualitatively different in the entire south, most of the midwest and some parts of the west.

That is no knock on the northeast --but it isn't college football country. It doesn't have the massive state university rivalries of the west and the south -- nobody cares except the alumni and the local merchants, whereas if you go to Nebraska or West Virginia or Texas the entire effing state rides on every game, even (maybe even especially) people who have never been within ten miles of a college campus.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I won't argue that at all.

What I will say is that Rutgers is the excuse for the Big Ten Network to demand entry into NYC television markets (and all of the cable dollars that come with that).

Don't think this is about schools, or teams, or student-athletes.

This is about television markets and cable network money.

Rutgers --> NYC TV market --> money.
                            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 06-10-2010, 01:18 PM.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Should I believe the rumors about a WCHA Football Conference?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

As long as were talking rumors I just got this forwarded to me from a friend. He got it from the board on the local paper site.

I know a well placed source who is in CFB broadcasting and he has heard that Big 10 expansion will be as thus: Notre Dame, Nebraska, Pitt, Syracuse and, if you can believe it, Vanderbilt. Vandy isn't too much a stretch given that it is the only institution in the SEC that can call itself a legitimate academic university. People may be skeptical, but I think ND is a done deal and they're in.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X