Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

That and the sliding scale revenue sharing. Pretty much the only schools that received money were the major players (texas, oklahoma, etc.) and the rest of the teams got what amounts to a yearly beatdown in football and nothing to show for it.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
      If Rutgers is the only team to leave the Big East, we should say our hallelujahs that they took the least useful of the 8 football schools.
      The Big 10 wants a New Jersey school because New Jersey is maybe the best football recruiting state in the northeast. What they'd lack in pizazz they'd make up for by building a pipeline into New Jersey.
      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
        The Big 10 wants a New Jersey school because New Jersey is maybe the best football recruiting state in the northeast. What they'd lack in pizazz they'd make up for by building a pipeline into New Jersey.
        Brian Cushing agrees.
        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

That's great for the Big 10, and probably great for Rutgers. Well, except Penn State already has a pretty good pipeline into New Jersey established...

On the Big East side of the ledger...Rutgers is a warm body.
          UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
            Brian Cushing agrees.
            His bacne does all the talking for him.

Comment

That's great for the Big 10, and probably great for Rutgers. Well, except Penn State already has a pretty good pipeline into New Jersey established...

On the Big East side of the ledger...Rutgers is a warm body.
              The Big East dropped the ball by not being more aggressive sooner. That said, considering the ACC is going to get picked apart by the SEC, perhaps the Big East should take back what was once theirs and thensome.

Comment

The Big East dropped the ball by not being more aggressive sooner. That said, considering the ACC is going to get picked apart by the SEC, perhaps the Big East should take back what was once theirs and thensome.
                If by that you mean Boston College, then sure. But if VaTech (and Miami) have a chance to go to the SEC, what could the Big East offer that would top it?

Tennessee needs a new rival anyway, now that they're firmly in tier-2 status.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Yeah, that's the key. If the ACC goes down, then maybe the Big East can survive as more of a merger between what's left of the ACC and the BE.

At the same time, that opens the door for the Big Ten to pick off some of the more lucrative schools from the ACC for an eastern presence - instead of just picking from the Big East. Maryland gets thrown around a lot - they had a long history with Penn State back in the days of PSU independence. They've certainly got the academic chops for the Big Ten and bring a large market(s) with DC and Baltimore. I've seen thoughts of packaging them with Rutgers, or even packaging them with UVA.
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Not sure what the BE could have done to be aggressive, outside of the bad decision in the early 80's to vote PSU down for membership.
                    HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Aggressive in what direction, and to what purpose? About the only aggressive offer the Big East could've made would've been "all in or all out" on Notre Dame. Nobody was gonna come to the Big East that would make the league better, and nobody that the Big East can get would be worth a ****.

The Big East's only options, post-2004, were "hope that nobody noticed us" or "be picked apart like a zebra carcass on the Serengeti".

Right now, it seems to be looking like the former is closer to what's going to happen. When the Big Ten started their talk, it seemed like the latter was inevitable.
                      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by RMUColonials View Post
                        Not sure what the BE could have done to be aggressive, outside of the bad decision in the early 80's to vote PSU down for membership.
                        Even with PSU, that would have just kept the Big East in the same situation as the current Big XII finds itself - lopsided in favor of Texas (or PSU) and highly unstable.
                        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

What I find funny is that an excercise meant to force Notre dame into the big10 fold has split open a tenuous big12 involving the pac10.

I think at this point nobody knows what's going on... and I think further its possible that nobody will like the result... even those orchestrating the moves. This could end in a lumpy mess... and I've seen on person opine that instead of that magical "64" you could end up at an awkward "40something" leaving a lot of former major players and those who would be contenders sitting out of the whole mess.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I'll go with NYC television market as my guess instead.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Aggressive in what direction, and to what purpose? About the only aggressive offer the Big East could've made would've been "all in or all out" on Notre Dame. Nobody was gonna come to the Big East that would make the league better, and nobody that the Big East can get would be worth a ****.

The Big East's only options, post-2004, were "hope that nobody noticed us" or "be picked apart like a zebra carcass on the Serengeti".

Right now, it seems to be looking like the former is closer to what's going to happen. When the Big Ten started their talk, it seemed like the latter was inevitable.
                              If the Big Ten decides they want to go after SU and Pitt as well as Rutgers, then it's time to call it off. As of yet, no one has any idea what direction the Big Ten wants to go in. Digging into western PA they've already done with Penn State and grabbing Pitt seems like a no-brainer. Getting the only real college football program in New York State as well as the only program in New Jersey seem like logical steps to draw the line between themselves and the SEC. Re-draw a Mason-Dixon line so to speak and then wait and see how much the ACC folds up the tents.

If the Big East wants to fight though, re-grabbing BC and VaTech as well as UVA and Maryland might not be the worst idea. Let the Carolina schools, Georgia Tech and Miami go to the SEC and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                I'll go with NYC television market as my guess instead.
                                You overestimate how many people in NYC give a rats arse about Rutgers.

Comment

Working...
                                X