Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Or so Iowa State, Kansas, KSU and one other lucky member of the Big 12 are wondering.

Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Best...title...EVER!

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Baylor is likely that other team with an outside chance of Colorado.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Supposedly, Missouri's getting a "cold shoulder" from the Big 10 right now, since they so publically and obviously burned their Big 12 bridges while the B10 looks at Rutgers and then threatens Notre Dame again.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Double posting, but wanted to comment on the TV side. What major TV networks are consistantly showing non-BCS games on a cosistant basis? ESPN covers a handful of games, but the only network I can think of is CBS College Sports with their Conference USA.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
            Double posting, but wanted to comment on the TV side. What major TV networks are consistantly showing non-BCS games on a cosistant basis? ESPN covers a handful of games, but the only network I can think of is CBS College Sports with their Conference USA.
            Versus was doing a Mountain West game each weekend.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

I don't at all understand the Iowa State hate. In terms of academics, their US News and World report rank is 88th, only 17 spots behind Iowa, Michigan State and Indiana and ahead of (future Big Ten member) Nebraska as well as Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

Obviously the football team is one of the least successful in major college history,however, the Cyclones have won 19 total National Titles in other sports, 14 of those are NCAA titles. They have a decent basketball program, with a good fanbase. Their avg men's basketball attendance was 12,491, which was good for third in the Big XII and beat four Big Ten teams, including Iowa. Their women's basketball attendance was third in the nation at over 9,000 per game. Even their terrible football teams draw more than 40,000 per game (not including games vs. Iowa), which is, of course, more than Indiana and Northwestern. They have also beaten Iowa in the Cy-Hawk series (an all sports comp, much like the Minnesota-Wisconsin Border Battle and the OK-OK State Bedlam Series) 3 of the 6 years the competition has existed, including this past year.

The school has a reasonably large enrollment of nearly 28,000 and, despite its location, the campus is gorgeous. I see no reason why it wouldn't fit in the Big Ten any worse than any of the other schools being thrown around.
              Last edited by HumRsky; 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM.
              SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
              UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
              Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
              Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
              UMD Football: 2008, 2010
              UMD Men: 2011

Comment

How is this going to impact the Big Ten Hockey Conference?
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                  I don't at all understand the Iowa State hate. In terms of academics, their US News and World report rank is 88th, only 17 spots behind Iowa, Michigan State and Indiana and ahead of (future Big Ten member) Nebraska as well as Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

Obviously the football team is one of the least successful in major college history,however, the Cyclones have won 19 total National Titles in other sports, 14 of those are NCAA titles. They have a decent basketball program, with a good fanbase. Their avg men's basketball attendance was 12,491, which was good for third in the Big XII and beat four Big Ten teams, including Iowa. Their women's basketball attendance was third in the nation at over 9,000 per game. Even their terrible football teams draw more than 40,000 per game (not including games vs. Iowa), which is, of course, more than Indiana and Northwestern. They have also beaten Iowa in the Cy-Hawk series (an all sports comp, much like the Minnesota-Wisconsin Border Battle and the OK-OK State Bedlam Series) 3 of the 6 years the competition has existed, including this past year.

The school has a reasonably large enrollment of nearly 28,000 and, despite its location, the campus is gorgeous. I see no reason why it wouldn't fit in the Big Ten any worse than any of the other schools being thrown around.
                  This is all about 1a through 1f- football and 1g- new tv markets for the Big Ten network to charge extra for. Iowa State bring neither. Which also is why Pitt hasn't got a chance in hell of being invited.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    This is all about 1a through 1f- football and 1g- new tv markets for the Big Ten network to charge extra for. Iowa State bring neither. Which also is why Pitt hasn't got a chance in hell of being invited.
                    Although they would be dumb not to consider a team like Kansas and their big money basketball team if it comes down to it.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Excellent thread title.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        I do understand that, and will be surprised if they do end up in the Big Ten, but someone saying they are closer to Boise State and Wyoming than Nebraska and Missouri (other than success in football) is preposterous.
                        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

So Iowa State is destined to become Indiana State.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

In other non-expansion news, bye bye Masoli.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

There is some options out there for Big 12 teams, but not much in the way of BCS conferences.

Mountain West is at 9 teams and informally said they don't want to expand. But its pretty likely they will take on Boise State at some point.

That puts the WAC at 8 teams and they could support 2 more. They cover from Louisiana to Hawaii, so the Big 12 teams are all within that footprint.

Sun Belt is also at 9 teams and they have a Texas school so again their footprint at least touches the Big 12 area.

MAC is at 13 split into 2 divisions. They could feasibly go to 16.

Big East is only at 8 teams, and has an auto bid to BCS. So they would be somewhat more attractive then these other choices.

If Notre Dame isn't coming to the Big Ten, I think I'd like them to cap the league at 12 and only take Nebraska. If they are going to invite others, than I'd prefer they go to 16 (Neb, ND, Mizzou, KU, KSU).
                              Last edited by JF_Gophers; 06-09-2010, 07:00 PM.
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                              X