Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

The wins they are supposedly vacating are from the year they went 13-0 (according to ESPN, which apparently I can't use as a source anymore...)
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
      Don't worry, USC isn't going to win enough to make it to any postseason with Kiffen there.
      Not to mention having to play Texas and OU every year.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        No, I meant sub Notre Dame in place of rutgers. Notre dame will go somewhere if the big ten and pac-10 go to 16 a piece, forcing the sec to go to 16. They'll go to where the money is and that's the big ten. Otherwise they will die a slow and painful death while the three mega conferences gobble up pretty much everything in terms of recruits, tv time, and cash.
        Uh, no. Wrong on all counts.

We'll jump only if the situation for either access to a championship or access for our non-football sports becomes untenable. Neither is true in the generic scenario you have posited.

As long as we have access to a championship, I'm fairly confident that the money will be fine. The Integer gets a similar payout to what we're getting right now, and they're going to need the TV network to be wildly successful to change that (particularly if they expand to 16 teams, because only ND and Texas have any prospect of paying for themselves).

That's why I said that you shouldn't sub ND for Rutgers. Rutgers and only Rutgers leaving the Big East is no threat to ND.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post

That's why I said that you shouldn't sub ND for Rutgers. Rutgers and only Rutgers leaving the Big East is no threat to ND.
          Exactly. For ND to join the Big Ten, they would probably have to invite Pitt and Syracuse. That would get ND's attention.

Even then, I'm not sure that ND would budge. They could still team up with the Catholic BE schools for basketball and other sports, if the BE Football Conference were to fold.

Various reports this morning suggest that Colorado has already been extended an invitation to the Pac 10. So it seems like they might be out regardless of what happens with NU and the rest of the B12.
          HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

We'll jump only if the situation for either access to a championship or access for our non-football sports becomes untenable. Neither is true in the generic scenario you have posited.

As long as we have access to a championship, I'm fairly confident that the money will be fine. The Integer gets a similar payout to what we're getting right now, and they're going to need the TV network to be wildly successful to change that (particularly if they expand to 16 teams, because only ND and Texas have any prospect of paying for themselves).

That second scenario is based on the assumption that the PAC-10 gets a second autobid if they go to 16 (which I don't think they will, so I guess this my discussion of it is pretty worthless; I'm sort of mixing two scenarios together big ten expansion and the pac-10 getting a second autobid). I think that would cause the Big Ten and SEC to both expand to 16 to get equal access. I think the big east would suffer in this extremely unlikely scenario, enough that notre dame would have to jump ship. Maybe not.

That being said, when it comes to Notre Dame, access to a championship is one thing, taking advantage of that access is another. With Notre Dame fading as a national powerhouse it once was, that money remains what it is, a pipe dream. So I don't see how mere access to a championship provides cash flow. Joining a conference with a TV network would not only make up for that lost cashflow, it would exceed it.

The other nightmare scenario for Notre Dame is if NBC doesn't renew. I have no idea which way NBC is leaning. So I'll leave that alone and hope someone with a better grasp on that comment. But if they don't renew, that's another chunk of cash no longer coming in.

Rutgers was originally announced as a team getting an invite, so I put this together back then. Obviously that didn't pan out and rumors of talks between Notre Dame and the Big Ten are starting to surface (but they are just that at this point, rumors). I'm not saying Rutgers leaving would cause Notre Dame to leave. I'm saying that it's possible for that 14-team scenario to work IF Notre Dame did leave.

Regarding your point about only Texas and Notre Dame paying for themselves, I disagree. A buddy of mine pointed out that Kansas would more than pay for itself as well. In fact, Kansas brought in $3 million more than Notre Dame in 2009.

So to sum it up, I guess I agree with you in that as long as cash flow doesn't become a problem, Notre Dame will probably remain where it is. However, if the landscape changes drastically, that's different.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

When is the NBC/Notre Dame deal up? That certainly could change the way things work out as far as them remaining independent.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

By "similar" payout, you mean "double the", right? And I doubt NBC will pay more than they do currently, since ND's 2.4 average last year lags behind CBS's 4.4 average for the SEC and ABC's 3.9 for the season.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

If Rutgers is the only team leaving the Big East, ND isn't going anywhere. Heck, the Big East might add KU to replace them, which would be a definite upgrade in basketball, a sometime upgrade in football, and I don't know about other sports.
                  If Rutgers is the only team to leave the Big East, we should say our hallelujahs that they took the least useful of the 8 football schools.
                  UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Yeah honestly this love affair the Big Ten has with Rutgers makes no sense. I think they would be a waste of a spot and make zero sense in the conference. Not to mention, for the majority of the time they are pretty average. Yippie they MIGHT add a new market, but there is no guarantee of that and even if they do so what? How does that make the Big Ten better?
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Yeah honestly this love affair the Big Ten has with Rutgers makes no sense. I think they would be a waste of a spot and make zero sense in the conference. Not to mention, for the majority of the time they are pretty average. Yippie they MIGHT add a new market, but there is no guarantee of that and even if they do so what? How does that make the Big Ten better?
                      I agree 100%. Rutgers would be subtraction by addition.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

It's official. Colorado to the PAC-10.

RIP Big 12.
                        Code:

Comment

Every year this stuff gets talked about and never comes about. Look how fast it has happened since the Big 12 meetings. This next month could get very very fun for those of us who subscribe to the George Carlin Love of Entropy
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Without me having to dig cause I'm sure it's posted somewhere. Why was the Big 12 so vulnerable?
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Without me having to dig cause I'm sure it's posted somewhere. Why was the Big 12 so vulnerable?
                              Some believe the schools still had bad feelings from when the SWAC broke up and they just festered for the last dozen years.

They were apparently an unhappy/uneasy conference to begin with.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                A handful of schools were carrying the load, financially. They never got a lucrative TV deal so the conference was making little money, compared to the others.

Comment

Working...
                                X