Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    That does sound like BK.
    Not enough bleeps for it to be BK. It sounds like it was filtered through an SID or two.
    This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      1) I disagree. They're fair. But similarly this is a gut feeling for me as well and I have no evidence either. Besides, you still have to go through the top team in the other division to make it to a championship/preferrable at large.

2) I agree, but will defer to badger fans. If they don't care in general, then I don't have a problem with it.

3) What hard decisions? It's not a cop out at all. If an easy decision exists you should probably make it. This was an easy decision. Sure a couple of these cross division rivalries blow but you weren't going to please everyone.

4) True, but I don't see this as a problem.
      The cross-division rivalries blow because this wasn't about rivalries at all, it was about getting as many big-time matchups as possible.

This picture really says it all about how this sucks for UW:

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/20...ision-palooza/
      *****http://frankthetank.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/big-ten-divisions.jpg******

Frank the Tank's earlier suggestion for divisions was far better, IMO:

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/20...ke-conference/

To me, there are 3 “pods” of schools in the Big Ten:

POD A:
      Michigan
      Ohio State
      Penn State
      Michigan State

POD B:
      Illinois
      Northwestern
      Indiana
      Purdue

POD C:
      Nebraska
      Iowa
      Wisconsin
      Minnesota

Here are my division alignment parameters:

(1) 2 teams from each pod are in each division
      (2) 1 permanent intra-pod cross-division opponent
      (3) Michigan and Ohio State are kept together (meaning Penn State and Nebraska must be together)
      (4) Don’t let either Penn State or Nebraska be on islands
      (5) Equal access to prime recruiting territories means as much as competitive balance

So, here’s my proposed division alignment:

DIVISION A
      Michigan
      Ohio State
      Wisconsin
      Minnesota
      Northwestern
      Purdue

DIVISION B
      Penn State
      Michigan State
      Nebraska
      Iowa
      Illinois
      Indiana

PERMANENT CROSS-DIVISION RIVALRIES
      Michigan – Michigan State
      Ohio State – Penn State
      Wisconsin – Nebraska
      Minnesota – Iowa
      Northwestern - Illinois
      Purdue – Indiana
      That has balance, it has all the rivalries protected (except for UW-Iowa, but that was kinda doomed from the start - and UW and Iowa both get Nebraska in exchange), and maintains potential big matchups in the championship game.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
        Not enough bleeps for it to be BK. It sounds like it was filtered through an SID or two.
        He can turn on the charm when he wants to. It was really only at practice and at the game when Drunken Irish Sailormouth was in use.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
          It was on camera. I watched the video at NBC somewhere. Someone asked him if Williams was banged up, and Kelly said that no, he'd just turned 21 and was feeling a little older.
          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Minnesota traveling to Mid Tenn State to play tonight? They should never have to travel to play MTSU...ever!

eta: Also these announcers seem to think MN is cold year round as the 88 deg temp and 40% humidity might wear out the gophers late in the game since they are from up north...
            Last edited by JF_Gophers; 09-02-2010, 06:38 PM.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              Minnesota traveling to Mid Tenn State to play tonight? They should never have to travel to play MTSU...ever!

eta: Also these announcers seem to think MN is cold year round as the 88 deg temp and 40% humidity might wear out the gophers late in the game since they are from up north...
              They also referred to the gophers as "a good football team" so they obviously don't know too much about college football.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Someone needs to intervene at ESPN and put a stop to this South Carolina opening the season nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                  Someone needs to intervene at ESPN and put a stop to this South Carolina opening the season nonsense.
                  Much like Christmas shopping, the fluffing of the SEC begins earlier every year.

I do like what I see from future Pac 10 member Utah tonight. The Big East over the Mountain West Conference for BCS bids was always dubious on merit these past few years.

Comment

Anyone watching this Utah/Pitt game?

Unreal ending to regulation.

30-yard field goal attempt for Pitt to tie it up in Utah.

Kicker kicks it true on the first attempt with three seconds left. (Utah called a time out at the last second)

Kicker hooks it left on the second attempt (Utah called a time out again at the last second)

Kicker just puts it inside the left upright on third attempt (Utah doesn't use their third time out.)

We're going to Overtime tied at 24!
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

and on the first play of overtime...Utah true freshman intercepts Pittsburgh's freshman QB.

Utah can take it with a field goal.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        and on the first play of overtime...Utah true freshman intercepts Pittsburgh's freshman QB.

Utah can take it with a field goal.
                        And ultimately did so.

Utah's visit to Notre Dame at the beginning of November really worries me.
                        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                          And ultimately did so.

Utah's visit to Notre Dame at the beginning of November really worries me.
                          Doesn't worry me. I think they may beat us handily, but nothin' I can do about it.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            They also referred to the gophers as "a good football team" so they obviously don't know too much about college football.
                            That's right...Mighty Minnesota, founding member of the Big Ten, home of 18 conference titles, 6 Nat'l titles, 19 College Football Hall of Famers including Bronko Nagurski, Carl Eller, and 1941 Heisman Trophy winner Bruce Smith, has been reduced to considering a win on the road vs. Middle Tennessee State an upset.
                            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                            UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Just be thankful they haven't fallen as far as Syracuse has.
                              Twitter: DanMountSports
                              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                Just be thankful they haven't fallen as far as Syracuse has.
                                Charlie Weis begs to differ...
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X