Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2010: Dude, Where's my Conference?

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    I still think Texas A&M would be better off in talking Baylor into jumping ship with them to the SEC. That would give the SEC two Texas teams to tap into the Texas Market, and well, hell, as competive as the SEC is, do they really need a juggernaught like the Longhorns in the conference? It might be nice for them to have a Texan alsoran in there to keep their teams from getting too beat up all of the time.
    A&M would be a great fit for the SEC should they be able to schedule Texas every year for a NC game. Joining the SEC would allow them to play their rivals LSU and Arkansas, and would greatly reduce traveling costs, not having to go to Arizona every year, or USC, Oregon, etc depending on the schedule.
    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
    2006-2007: 15-24-2
    2007-2008: 20-20-4
    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
      A&M would be a great fit for the SEC should they be able to schedule Texas every year for a NC game. Joining the SEC would allow them to play their rivals LSU and Arkansas, and would greatly reduce traveling costs, not having to go to Arizona every year, or USC, Oregon, etc depending on the schedule.
      Well they've already rejected the Pac-10 anyway, the choice now is between the SEC and a bandaged Big XII - knowing that their move to the SEC might undo those bandages.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I still think Texas A&M would be better off in talking Baylor into jumping ship with them to the SEC. That would give the SEC two Texas teams to tap into the Texas Market, and well, hell, as competive as the SEC is, do they really need a juggernaught like the Longhorns in the conference? It might be nice for them to have a Texan alsoran in there to keep their teams from getting too beat up all of the time.
        The problem with this scenario is that I just can't see the SEC having the slightest interest in Baylor. Baylor is one of the weaker links in the Big 12. I don't see any way the SEC takes Baylor over someone like Georgia Tech or Clemson or whoever they may raid from the ACC or elsewhere. A&M isn't a juicy enough target to take Baylor as part of the package.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          A&M isn't a juicy enough target to take Baylor as part of the package.
          A&M and Baylor offer a pretty good package for the SEC:

- Texas TV markets and recruiting
          - a cupcake for Ole Miss and Miss State
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The Big 12 is making a mistake giving Texas the lion's share of the revenue if this guy is to be believed.

It will only delay the inevitable, Texas will want more and more of a share of the revenue.

Then in 3-4 years the Big 12 will fall apart. Surely the other schools just have to understand that?

And for OK St and TT their piece of the pie was already bad and that's why they wanted out. Now they're going to give up more of the pie to satisfy UT?

My my my, have their fortunes changed.
            Last edited by Terrierbyassociation; 06-14-2010, 01:22 PM.
            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

You get the first part by taking just A&M, and I don't they are that interested in the second part. Remember, this is the SEC. They are stuffed on cupcakes by the time the non-conference schedule is finished.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                The Big 12 is making a mistake giving Texas the lion's share of the revenue if this guy is to be believed.

It will only delay the inevitable, Texas will want more and more of a share of the revenue.

Then in 3-4 years the Big 12 will fall apart. Surely the other schools just have to understand that?

And for OK St and TT their piece of the pie was already bad and that's why they wanted out. Now they're going to give up more of the pie to satisfy UT?

My my my, have their fortunes changed.
                I think they do realize that this would only delay the inevitable, but that would at least give them time to develop some contingency plans.
                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                  I think they do realize that this would only delay the inevitable, but that would at least give them time to develop some contingency plans.
                  There is no contingency plan, unless the Big 12 will bring in other powers into the conference.
                  Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                    Yeah, and hell, right now, the western division of the SEC is LSU, Arkansas, Old Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn and Alabama. Figure either Auburn or Alabama to go to the east division, with the understanding that the Iron Bowl will be played every year between the two. Or have them both move to the east and have Vandy go to the West. That leaves you LSU, Arkansas, Old Miss, Miss State and one of the Alabama schools or Vandy to go along with Texas A&M and Baylor. That would make the SEC west a nice little packed division that doesn't have a whole lot of crazy travel in it.

Plus, here's the additional bonus for Baylor. With going to the PAC with Texas, they get one, maybe 2 big draw games, and those would be every other year with Texas and whoever in Texas goes west with them. In the SEC, they would have to expand their stadium just for the visiting fans of the other schools that can't even get tickets at their stadium, but can swing a roadtrip to Waco. Maybe not so much for when the Far East schools like Georgia and Florida visit, as well, that is quite the haul, but they should still see a lot better number of visiting fans in the SEC than what they would in the PAC.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

The problem with this scenario is that I just can't see the SEC having the slightest interest in Baylor. Baylor is one of the weaker links in the Big 12. I don't see any way the SEC takes Baylor over someone like Georgia Tech or Clemson or whoever they may raid from the ACC or elsewhere. A&M isn't a juicy enough target to take Baylor as part of the package.
                      Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

You get the first part by taking just A&M, and I don't they are that interested in the second part. Remember, this is the SEC. They are stuffed on cupcakes by the time the non-conference schedule is finished.
                      Yeah, but hell, in these superconferences, you're still going to need teams you can beat. The SEC is pretty stacked as it is right now. Why add a Juggernaught like Texas when they could fairly easy get about as much of the Texas TV Market with A&M and Baylor, and with a little smart scheduling on Baylor's part as well. I don't know if Longhorn fans would really be lining up all the time to see them take on the Arizona's, Oregon's, Washington's and the Cali schools. If Texas has a night game or has a late game out on the coast, would be pretty easy for Baylor to schedual their home games at a time where most people in Texas could watch the Bears take on whatever SEC they face that week while they get ready for watching the Horns.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Yeah, but hell, in these superconferences, you're still going to need teams you can beat. The SEC is pretty stacked as it is right now. Why add a Juggernaught like Texas when they could fairly easy get about as much of the Texas TV Market with A&M and Baylor, and with a little smart scheduling on Baylor's part as well. I don't know if Longhorn fans would really be lining up all the time to see them take on the Arizona's, Oregon's, Washington's and the Cali schools. If Texas has a night game or has a late game out on the coast, would be pretty easy for Baylor to schedual their home games at a time where most people in Texas could watch the Bears take on whatever SEC they face that week while they get ready for watching the Horns.
                        But you don't add a team that doesn't increase the quality of your league. The SEC is football-centric to the extreme, and I just don't see them wanting to add one of the weakest football programs in any of the major conferences. I can understand adding A&M because they add the Texas market and they are historically a good team at least sometimes. Adding Baylor probably helps a little more in the Texas market, but I just don't see them being a big draw across Texas. Maybe someone who knows the Texas market better can tell us if Baylor would be valuable to the SEC. I just don't see it.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

But you don't add a team that doesn't increase the quality of your league. The SEC is football-centric to the extreme, and I just don't see them wanting to add one of the weakest football programs in any of the major conferences. I can understand adding A&M because they add the Texas market and they are historically a good team at least sometimes. Adding Baylor probably helps a little more in the Texas market, but I just don't see them being a big draw across Texas. Maybe someone who knows the Texas market better can tell us if Baylor would be valuable to the SEC. I just don't see it.
                          Baylor is going to be happy with whatever deal the SEC gives them, and does help the SEC round out some of their other sports as well, which would be good if they want to go to their own network as well. Texas, well, they're used to ruling the roost, and would likely want to make a lot of demands on the SEC, and in general be a pain in the *** to deal with knowing that they could pack up their bags at any time for the Big Ten or the PAC perhaps. Why deal with that headache and devil when you could have somebody who's going to be very loyal to the SEC, and gives you a slightly better team to beat up every year. Sure, they're Baylor, but in a few years they can point and say, well, they play in the SEC vs. a directional school from Louisiana.

It just happens.

Comment

Baylor is going to be happy with whatever deal the SEC gives them, and does help the SEC round out some of their other sports as well, which would be good if they want to go to their own network as well. Texas, well, they're used to ruling the roost, and would likely want to make a lot of demands on the SEC, and in general be a pain in the *** to deal with knowing that they could pack up their bags at any time for the Big Ten or the PAC perhaps. Why deal with that headache and devil when you could have somebody who's going to be very loyal to the SEC, and gives you a slightly better team to beat up every year. Sure, they're Baylor, but in a few years they can point and say, well, they play in the SEC vs. a directional school from Louisiana.
                            Of course Baylor would be happy with whatever the SEC gave them, given that going to the SEC is a better scenario than Baylor could possibly imagine. If the Big 12 breaks up, Baylor from all reports is likely left out in the cold with Iowa State, etc. I don't think the SEC is interested in a really weak football school that could possibly round out some other sports. It's not like Baylor is some dynamo in every other sport or something, though they've had recent success in basketball. I haven't seen any reports that indicate Baylor is even in the mix at all for joining the SEC, which is something, given all the crazy scenarios that have floated around the last week or so.

Regarding Texas, the reports I've seen are that Texas isn't interested in the SEC, not the other way around. Texas might be a pain, but they'd bring more $$ to every SEC school. And this is driven primarily by $$. One of a number of stumbling blocks though is that Texas much prefers the Pac Ten over the SEC in the area of academics, and there's no way that's going to change anytime soon.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                              There is no contingency plan, unless the Big 12 will bring in other powers into the conference.
                              The contingency plan is that they will have a couple years to figure out where to go and strike a better deal. There is less of a hurry factor.

That the Big 12-2 is going to cater to Texas is just laughable and proves that their "leadership" is as gullible as has been hinted at. Assuming Texas stays this year, in 3 years they will jump ship for a better deal.

A&M should ditch them for the SEC and the Big 12-2 North should sign on with the Big 10 + 2 and the MWC and that way Texas can see what their arrogance got them
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Of course Baylor would be happy with whatever the SEC gave them, given that going to the SEC is a better scenario than Baylor could possibly imagine. If the Big 12 breaks up, Baylor from all reports is likely left out in the cold with Iowa State, etc. I don't think the SEC is interested in a really weak football school that could possibly round out some other sports. It's not like Baylor is some dynamo in every other sport or something, though they've had recent success in basketball. I haven't seen any reports that indicate Baylor is even in the mix at all for joining the SEC, which is something, given all the crazy scenarios that have floated around the last week or so.

Regarding Texas, the reports I've seen are that Texas isn't interested in the SEC, not the other way around. Texas might be a pain, but they'd bring more $$ to every SEC school. And this is driven primarily by $$. One of a number of stumbling blocks though is that Texas much prefers the Pac Ten over the SEC in the area of academics, and there's no way that's going to change anytime soon.
                                Either way they slice it, the SEC will be making money just from having Texas A&M in the conference, and does give them an excuse to have Jerryworld bid on hosting the SEC championship game, which would then boost the bids from the Superdome and the Georgia Dome respectively to stay in the mix. Realistically, Adding Texas over Baylor would only give each of the current SEC schools another Million or so, and they're all turning a pretty penny right now?? Are they that hard up for cash to go after Texas and put up with the headaches that the Longhorns would give them, both in the AD meeting and for their poor Football Coaches as well. Adding Texas to the mix only makes it that much harder for schools like South Carolina, Kentucky, Old Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy and Tennessee to win the SEC and thus by default almost, earn an automatic birth into the BCS Bowl* Game that they award the big crystle football as the Bowl Trophy. *Not a Championship yet! You add Texas, and those schools would be lucky to ever earn a bid to the Cotton Bowl any more.

It just happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X