Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

There are very few that I did like in Detroit sports radio. I'm told that Sam Webb does a nice job in the mornings on TKA, but driving to work in the morning doesn't allow for enough signal strength for me to listen. As for DFN, the drive time morning shows have been unlistenable for over a decade. I liked Baligian until his jackhole producer started *ing with all the drops and the other bull**** they got into and ruined his mid-morning show. Stoney and Wojo got stale, plain and simple, although within a year I suspect that they'll be back together on XYT in the afternoons.

When XYT moved to 97.1 and WDFN did not follow suit by simulcasting on 106.7, that spelled doom for DFN. That gave XYT the home team broadcasts plus full time programming, plus a full time signal. DFN did not match, and from there the writing was on the wall. And what angered me was, DFN had XYT dead to rights and didn't finish them off, which is what would have happened had they gone to 106.7 instead of changing formats every 9 months.

My brother in law has done work for Valenti and tells me that he's actually a nice guy in person. I dunno, I'd rather the guy still get hit by a bus. While Terry Foster appears to be a nice guy, he is still clueless, and Matt Dery has always been a whiny little *****. Nothing but a crybaby, a typical Cleveland fan. Drew Sharp is tolerable in small doses only, if ever, and Matt Shepard gets to be too much of the bitter old man act as well. Caputo on XYT does absolutly nothing except to add about 400 pounds to the airwaves. It's my understanding that Karsch knifed everyone in the back on the way out the door when he left TKA and he just seems like a dunce. The only one I really miss is listening to Tom Kowalski, because he kept it light and could laugh at himself and not take himself too seriously, and still got me info I wanted to know about.

The national shows are absolutely self-absorbed and completely full of themselves. Since I dropped the XM radio into my office, the last sports show I listened to was Tirico and Van Pelt, and once Tirico left, so did I. There's just nothing left for me in sports radio that I didn't hear 5-10 years ago.
    Last edited by Hammer; 02-05-2010, 12:15 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

"There are very few that I did like in Detroit sports radio. I'm told that Sam Webb does a nice job in the mornings on TKA, but driving to work in the morning doesn't allow for enough signal strength for me to listen. As for DFN, the drive time morning shows have been unlistenable for over a decade. I liked Baligian until his jackhole producer started *ing with all the drops and the other bull**** they got into and ruined his mid-morning show. Stoney and Wojo got stale, plain and simple, although within a year I suspect that they'll be back together on XYT in the afternoons."

Webb does a good job specific to Michigan and to recruiting. Since I do most of my work at home these days, I can fire TKA up on the computer.

I was not much of a Baligian fan. Seems to be a fair guy, but too much rah-rah for me.

Stoney and Wojo started to slip when they talked about everything but sports. Too much sizzle and not enough steak. I have met both of them, actually sat with Wojo at a Mich/Purdue football game in W Lafayette, and he was very down to earth. They may team up together some day,I would hope at the expense of the XYT afternoon show. Doesn't seem that Wojo's job security in the print media is very safe.

"When XYT moved to 97.1 and WDFN did not follow suit by simulcasting on 106.7, that spelled doom for DFN. That gave XYT the home team broadcasts plus full time programming, plus a full time signal. DFN did not match, and from there the writing was on the wall. And what angered me was, DFN had XYT dead to rights and didn't finish them off, which is what would have happened had they gone to 106.7 instead of changing formats every 9 months."

Completely agree. And Rona Danziger and her hatchet bosses got blamed for it by many former DFNers.

"My brother in law has done work for Valenti and tells me that he's actually a nice guy in person. I dunno, I'd rather the guy still get hit by a bus. While Terry Foster appears to be a nice guy, he is still clueless, and Matt Dery has always been a whiny little *****. Nothing but a crybaby, a typical Cleveland fan. Drew Sharp is tolerable in small doses only, if ever, and Matt Shepard gets to be too much of the bitter old man act as well. Caputo on XYT does absolutly nothing except to add about 400 pounds to the airwaves. It's my understanding that Karsch knifed everyone in the back on the way out the door when he left TKA and he just seems like a dunce. The only one I really miss is listening to Tom Kowalski, because he kept it light and could laugh at himself and not take himself too seriously, and still got me info I wanted to know about."

I know a lot of MSU people- some are terrific, some are not. Valenti is not as honest as he makes himself out to be and takes every opportunity to propagate crap about Michigan. He is just a homer with a mic, and is as abrasive as sandpaper, but maybe that's his new york shtick.

Foster is also a biased columnist. Nuff said. Dery is as you describe, but I will give him some props for the work he does do outside of the studio. Shepard doesn't fit as a host, but I like his play by play. Caputo is as abrasive as Valenti. Don't know the story at TKA with Karsch, but that radio station is rinky-dink anyway. He probably made the right move since they were going to slash him like they did to Fithian. I heard an unsubstantiated report that he helped get Art Regner released also. he may be a dirty bastage, but I like his radio acumen. I never listened to Killer that much, but I can't disagree with you. I saved Drew Sharp for last, only because, as a journalist he has the credibility of TMZ, and the radio personality to match. After this last hatchet job on RR by the Freep, it is a wonder that they have any readership left.

"The national shows are absolutely self-absorbed and completely full of themselves. Since I dropped the XM radio into my office, the last sports show I listened to was Tirico and Van Pelt, and once Tirico left, so did I. There's just nothing left for me in sports radio that I didn't hear 5-10 years ago."

Oh yeah. Having XM was nice, when I could afford it in my car. Rome is a pompous azz, but he must be pulling in numbers. Dan Patrick left for richer pastures, but is still a dope. Tirico and Van Pelt were easy to listen to and were very cerebral. I still don't mind Van Pelt. Oh, and thank the heavens that Obermann is doing his brand of liberal hack politics instead of sports. He's exposed there, too, but I don't have to turn ESPN off as much now, as compared to never having to watch MSNBC.

Comment

Pitchers and catchers report 2 weeks from today.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Heh... where I can see that Hammer could probably hold his own in the manner of fisticuffs, I'd be more willing to bet he'd do more harm auditing that moron. After all, claiming your strikeouts as a valid business loss deduction is a no-no.
          No way, Hammer would cut him, slowly and many times with little paper cuts. It will wear him out a little and then BAM!!!! Lead Poisoning right to the Temple!!! Goodnight sweet Prince!!

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          He'd get a million dollar refund if he could.

And no, that wasn't me. I quit listening to sports radio in general about 2 years ago, and the Ticket in particular long before that. I got tired of Caller Linda and a few other booger-eaters asking in mid-March about why Lloyd Carr wasn't recruiting another fullback to replace the backup that is going to graduate in 2 years, and how the entire program was about to go straight to hell in a rocket sled because of it. That and Jeff DiFran's bitter old man act. At that point I clicked elsewhere and never looked back. Same thing with WDFN.

I avoid most all shows that take callers. The average caller to a sports talk show has an IQ slightly below that of a head of lettuce and are barely qualified to be ketchup engineers at Hot and Now. I have no tolerance for people like that.
          Yeah, I usually don't listen much to sports talk myself really, was just flipping thru my presets on my car radio because everything else was playing commercials at the time. And thats what they were talking about that caught my ear for a while.

and for rr, kinda surprizing that nobody has really brought that can of worms up yet.
          Last edited by bigmrg74; 02-05-2010, 02:57 PM.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

and how the entire program was about to go straight to hell in a rocket sled because of it.
            Actually, they kind of had that one right.

What's really sad is that as downhill as sports talk radio has gone in Detroit, it's still about a 100 times better than what is available in the Twin Cities. That's why I went to Sirius and never looked back.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              Actually, they kind of had that one right.
              Because Lloyd didn't recruit a backup fullback in 2001 to replace the backup that was going to graduate in 2003?

God, that was fun...

Comment

Because Lloyd didn't recruit a backup fullback in 2001 to replace the backup that was going to graduate in 2003?
                I just meant more generally the idea of recruiting Ryan Mallett and No One to play quarterback and Stevie Brown and No One to play safety sent the football program to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  I just meant more generally the idea of recruiting Ryan Mallett and No One to play quarterback and Stevie Brown and No One to play safety sent the football program to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly.
                  I had turned off TKA long before that. I was commenting more on the idiots that would call in during the middle of a Detroit Tiger spring training discussion and want to ask Peter Gammons about a backup TE or a 4th string K, or Caller Linda calling to tell us that the Tigers weren't going to contend until Isiah Thomas was back with the Pistons, and that his nuts tasted like cinnamon.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I had turned off TKA long before that. I was commenting more on the idiots that would call in during the middle of a Detroit Tiger spring training discussion and want to ask Peter Gammons about a backup TE or a 4th string K, or Caller Linda calling to tell us that the Tigers weren't going to contend until Isiah Thomas was back with the Pistons, and that his nuts tasted like cinnamon.
                    Thats one thing one dude should never know about another guy's nuts.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

And once this idiot woman got done with TKA, she got on the phone with DFN and later XYT. They even let her loose on the Jim Rome show one day and she proceeded to embarass half the Midwest.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And once this idiot woman got done with TKA, she got on the phone with DFN and later XYT. They even let her loose on the Jim Rome show one day and she proceeded to embarass half the Midwest.
                        You would think they would screen their calls a little better than that.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          You would think they would screen their calls a little better than that.
                          No, the retards that produce these shows think they're funny, and on the air they go. Now you understand why I don't listen to shows now that take callers.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Pitchers and catchers report 2 weeks from today.
                            and Lakeland has been put on defcon 3. The diners are already gearing up for those early bird specials.

Comment

Just be glad that Mickey Lolich and Denny McLain aren't invited as guest instructors. All the restaurants would be bankrupt from Orlando to Tallahassee, and McLain would steal whatever is left.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Just be glad that Mickey Lolich and Denny McLain aren't invited as guest instructors. All the restaurants would be bankrupt from Orlando to Tallahassee, and McLain would steal whatever is left.
                                Surprised Lolich isn't running a donut shop down there, too. (At least was here.)

Comment

Working...
                                X