Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Good god, Dombrowski, pick a lane and go with it.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Damon would be a nice fit in Detroit. Based on his numbers, it's his favorite park to hit in. I love the Valverde signing as well.
      TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
        Damon would be a nice fit in Detroit. Based on his numbers, it's his favorite park to hit in. I love the Valverde signing as well.
        I don't get the strategy. It sounds like Dombrowski is going through traders remorse.

BB, I think you saw enough of Valverde in Phoenix to see when he is on, he is great. When he isn't he is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
          Damon would be a nice fit in Detroit. Based on his numbers, it's his favorite park to hit in.
          Yes. Against the Tigers' pitching staff. Including the first half of the decade.
          Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

Local sports radio is reporting that Dombrowski is rebuking the rumor that the Tigers have any interest in signing Damon.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              BB, I think you saw enough of Valverde in Phoenix to see when he is on, he is great. When he isn't he is terrible.
              Isn't that Fernando Rodney?
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Dear Tigers:

Thanks a lot!

Signed,

the rest of the AL Central
                US Olympic Team

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton View Post
                  Yes. Against the Tigers' pitching staff. Including the first half of the decade.
                  I think the whole league hit about .472 against our pitching staff the first half of the decade.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

There's yet another rumor floating about that the Tigers might be looking at Johnny Damon.

So let me get this right... Dombrowski gets rid of Granderson because they want to cut back on money yet adds Valverde and potentially Damon? 0% of that makes sense and it'll be less than zero if they put Damon in center.
                    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

0% chance that Damon ends up in center. If they sign him he's the new left fielder. Either Austin Jackson or Casper Wells is going to open the season in center. And if neither one of them is the answer, we're in trouble.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Isn't that Fernando Rodney?
                        Yes, but it depends on who you talk to. Valverde is a fastball / curveball pitcher. Rodney is a fastball/ changeup pitcher.

Valverde has better ERA and BB's stats, but is just as erratic and wild. Rodney didn't give up as many walk-offs. Both put a bunch of runners on. Valverde has the reputation of getting through innings quickly when he in "on". Rodney likes to make things interesting first, no matter what kind of stuff he has.

Valverde has never pitched in the A.L. and will potentially see better hitting with the DH in the lineup.

Either way the Tigers would have a closer that will help them more than hurt them, depending on the defense behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                          There's yet another rumor floating about that the Tigers might be looking at Johnny Damon.

So let me get this right... Dombrowski gets rid of Granderson because they want to cut back on money yet adds Valverde and potentially Damon? 0% of that makes sense and it'll be less than zero if they put Damon in center.
                          Dombrowski has repeated that there is no interest in Damon:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010011...n-Johnny-Damon

Also- Laird wants arbitration for hitting .225?

Comment

Damon's agent is Scott Boras. Odds are that he's throwing half those rumors out himself.

Comment

The arbitration figures are in for Verlander.

He's asking for $9.5 million.
                              The Tigers' number: $6.9 mil.

If it goes to a hearing, I'm leaning towards JV's number. If I had to guess they'll settle somewhere in the $8 mil range. If they're going to cut costs, this sure as hell isn't the place to do it.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                Valverde has never pitched in the A.L. and will potentially see better hitting with the DH in the lineup.
                                streaker, Valverde is a closer.... the DH is an irrelevant difference as far as the NL is concerned for closers. That is, the NL closers only see legit hitters. The pitchers in the NL will rarely bat after the 8th inning (and most of the time are pinch-hit for as early as the 7th inning). Therefore this is a moot point.

Valverde's ERA and WHIP are both wayyy better than Rodney's. The two pitchers are not even close. Valverde is legit. Rodney is a roller coaster. The Angels may well find that out this year.

Saves is a really worthless category, IMO. So, if you come into a game with a 3 run lead in the 9th... give up two runs... and load the bases and then get the final out you earn a Save? Please. That is a crap outing. Your ERA for the game is 18 and your WHIP is off the charts practically, but somehow this has become some magical stat that everyone has to have if you are a reliever/closer.

Give me a reliever with a sub-3.00 ERA and a WHIP in the neighborhood of 1.100 and I would gladly take that any day of the week over a pitcher with the likes of Rodney's 4.40 ERA in 09 (4.28 career ERA) and his 1.467 WHIP in 09 (1.424 career WHIP).

Valverde was 2.33 ERA in 09 (3.17 career ERA) and 1.130 WHIP in 09 (1.168 career WHIP). Also, Valverde's BB/9 innings is stellar compared to Rodney's (3.5 to Rodney's 4.9 in 09 and Rodney was even worse in 08 at 6.7 walks per 9 innings... wow...that is horrible) and the K/9 innings is also well in Valverde's favor (9.3 to 7.3 in 09).

Just sayin... Valverde vs Rodney is a whitewash in comparison. It is not even close. Saves are an illusion... they really don't tell you how good a closer is. You have to look deeper. Valverde will improve the Tigers' back end of the bullpen immensely and make us a much more formidable team day in and day out entering late innings with leads.
                                Last edited by Malts18; 01-19-2010, 07:43 PM.
                                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Working...
                                X