Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    The arbitration figures are in for Verlander.

He's asking for $9.5 million.
    The Tigers' number: $6.9 mil.

If it goes to a hearing, I'm leaning towards JV's number. If I had to guess they'll settle somewhere in the $8 mil range. If they're going to cut costs, this sure as hell isn't the place to do it.
    Hammer,

If they settle (say at $8m), is that then a done deal just for one year or could/would that possibly be for more yrs? Or, do we have to go through this whole arbitration deal again next yr?
    Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
    ECAC Tourney Champs 79
    Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
    Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
    Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
    NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

• Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Arbitration is a one-year deal. They are always able to come to terms on a multi-year extension. If a longer term contract is not signed, he would then be arbitration-eligible next season as well.

All signs point to either a long-term extension that keeps him here until around 2014-2015, or a 1 year deal and then a trade next winter. Guess which one I'm in favor of?
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
        streaker, Valverde is a closer.... the DH is an irrelevant difference as far as the NL is concerned for closers. That is, the NL closers only see legit hitters. The pitchers in the NL will rarely bat after the 8th inning (and most of the time are pinch-hit for as early as the 7th inning). Therefore this is a moot point.

Valverde's ERA and WHIP are both wayyy better than Rodney's. The two pitchers are not even close. Valverde is legit. Rodney is a roller coaster. The Angels may well find that out this year.

Saves is a really worthless category, IMO. So, if you come into a game with a 3 run lead in the 9th... give up two runs... and load the bases and then get the final out you earn a Save? Please. That is a crap outing. Your ERA for the game is 18 and your WHIP is off the charts practically, but somehow this has become some magical stat that everyone has to have if you are a reliever/closer.

Give me a reliever with a sub-3.00 ERA and a WHIP in the neighborhood of 1.100 and I would gladly take that any day of the week over a pitcher with the likes of Rodney's 4.40 ERA in 09 (4.28 career ERA) and his 1.467 WHIP in 09 (1.424 career WHIP).

Valverde was 2.33 ERA in 09 (3.17 career ERA) and 1.130 WHIP in 09 (1.168 career WHIP). Also, Valverde's BB/9 innings is stellar compared to Rodney's (3.5 to Rodney's 4.9 in 09 and Rodney was even worse in 08 at 6.7 walks per 9 innings... wow...that is horrible) and the K/9 innings is also well in Valverde's favor (9.3 to 7.3 in 09).

Just sayin... Valverde vs Rodney is a whitewash in comparison. It is not even close. Saves are an illusion... they really don't tell you how good a closer is. You have to look deeper. Valverde will improve the Tigers' back end of the bullpen immensely and make us a much more formidable team day in and day out entering late innings with leads.
        Valid points, but not a moot point on my part. AL Managers have more lineup flexibility to strengthen it with, as opposed to the NL, even in the late innings, because of the lineup jockeying the NL managers have to do. The DH comment aside, Valverde will see better every day hitters in the AL because their are less lineup changes. For example, even if he is to face an 8-9-1 order with a one run lead, the likelihood of a pinch hitter is the same in either league. But, if he is to face a 5-6-7 order, he will face tougher AL hitters because the DH pushes better hitters down the order. Maybe not as much in the AL central, but you get my drift- especially against the Yanks, Bosox and Angels. JMO.

The NL and AL are different. He's never pitched here before and he'll need to adjust. I've seen him pitch for Arizona and, like I said, when he is on, he's unhittable. When is isn't, it's like BP- rarely has happened the last couple of seasons, but ugly when it does.

I never cared for Rodney, so I hope you are correct.

Comment

The arbitration figures are in for Verlander.

He's asking for $9.5 million.
          The Tigers' number: $6.9 mil.

If it goes to a hearing, I'm leaning towards JV's number. If I had to guess they'll settle somewhere in the $8 mil range. If they're going to cut costs, this sure as hell isn't the place to do it.
          Carl Pavano got $7 mil from the Twins in arbitration and Verlander is worth quite a bit more than Pavano.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Interesting column on the Tiger's need for more offense in the lineup:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-their-offense

Ankiel would be an interesting acquisition. They need a lefty bat bad, though.

Comment

I'd love to see the Tiges get Bedard and Sheets.
              TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                Valid points, but not a moot point on my part. AL Managers have more lineup flexibility to strengthen it with, as opposed to the NL, even in the late innings, because of the lineup jockeying the NL managers have to do. The DH comment aside, Valverde will see better every day hitters in the AL because their are less lineup changes. For example, even if he is to face an 8-9-1 order with a one run lead, the likelihood of a pinch hitter is the same in either league. But, if he is to face a 5-6-7 order, he will face tougher AL hitters because the DH pushes better hitters down the order. Maybe not as much in the AL central, but you get my drift- especially against the Yanks, Bosox and Angels. JMO.

The NL and AL are different. He's never pitched here before and he'll need to adjust. I've seen him pitch for Arizona and, like I said, when he is on, he's unhittable. When is isn't, it's like BP- rarely has happened the last couple of seasons, but ugly when it does.

I never cared for Rodney, so I hope you are correct.
                Fair points... I only brought it up because I feel the DH does not matter nearly as much to NL pitchers that are closers vs starters. Huge difference for starters, obviously. Thanks for straightening out your take on Valverde and the situation... much appreciated.
                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Saw this article, didn't see it posted here:

Cabrera Treated for Alcoholism
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Don't know if Hammer saw this one, too on his favorite Tiger:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...a-hit----twice

I especially enjoyed the comments made by people at the end of the article.

Comment

If Gerald Laird hits .300 with good power next season (15-20 bombs), I'll pay off our bet even if we win 140 games. Not only that, but I'll take apart both Zambonis at Joe Louis Arena using nothing more than a toothbrush and a butter knife, and I'll re-assemble them in front of home plate right before first pitch of Opening Day 2011.

This guy couldn't hit water if he was thrown off of a battleship.

God, that was fun...

Comment

If Gerald Laird hits .300 with good power next season (15-20 bombs), I'll pay off our bet even if we win 140 games. Not only that, but I'll take apart both Zambonis at Joe Louis Arena using nothing more than a toothbrush and a butter knife, and I'll re-assemble them in front of home plate right before first pitch of Opening Day 2011.

If this happens, I'd like a front row seat, please.
                        I was told there would be no math...

Comment

LO effing L. It will be at least humorous seeing you tonight. (Not that the game won't be.)

And believe me, the limb you just crawled out on is.. more sturdy than the one I crawled out on. But, a risk well worth an earned pitcher of suds for you. Even if that tuurd bats .260 with 15 HR's, he'll help that pathetic lineup.

(Notice I didn't place any disclaimers on it, such as the Tigers procuring a LH bat etc. before the season starts.)

Comment

That's fine. I didn't put any disclaimers on my end, either. Even if Zumaya runs Verlander over with a dirt bike in the parking lot in Lakeland, and Dontrelle Willis beans Miggy Cabrera in an intersquad game, one of us is getting a pitcher of beer at the end of the season.

As for tonight, I have no idea what's going to happen. You watch, they'll only call 3 penalties or something.

God, that was fun...

Comment

That's fine. I didn't put any disclaimers on my end, either. Even if Zumaya runs Verlander over with a dirt bike in the parking lot in Lakeland, and Dontrelle Willis beans Miggy Cabrera in an intersquad game, one of us is getting a pitcher of beer at the end of the season.

As for tonight, I have no idea what's going to happen. You watch, they'll only call 3 penalties or something.
                              Heh. yeah, wait until you see how colorful Valverde is. He'd probably help Zoom light firecrackers in the dugout.

My over /under on PM's tonight is 30. Michigan can't help but crap all over themselves like that this season, and Ferris has enough skill and firepower (like the Michigan of old) to play over their indiscretions.

If Llewellyn and Lebler are in the lineup, chances are they will be the first two to go. It all depends on who the CCHA sends to Yost- probably Shegos or McInchak.

Comment

Well, I do remember watching Jose Lima sit in the pen and interact with the fans, so that could be amusing.

They're likely to send Sergott to Adrian tonight, so I'm guessing Hall or McInchak. It's either going to be very clean or Slapshot-esque.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X