Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Continue when the other one is done.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

From the other thread. picking up where we left off:

Originally posted by Hammer
    Well, here's where we're at. 7 games left for each team. 4 against each other right here and now, then Detroit is at home against the White Sox, and Minnesota finishes at home against KC.

2 game lead. The magic number sits at 6. 3 out of 4 here closes the show and makes this coming weekend nothing more than a glorified celebration just for fun while we get a little rest and our pitching in order. A split and things are still in order and the heat is really on the Twins, as the lead would still be 2, but with 3 to go instead of 7. Lose three out of 4 here and all bets are off. Get swept and we have a full blown disaster and I'll end up saying things that will get someone banned, likely me.

It's all come down to the next four days. It's all in your hands, good, bad, or otherwise.

Please to not respond to this here. Let this be the last post for this thread, and let's take everything to the new one. It's only fitting.
    All right. Let's go, for better or for worse.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Re: Detroit Tigers, 2009, Part III: How long does it take for Leyland to screw this up?

Originally posted by Hammer View Post

For what it's worth, I think this series has split written all over it.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

No sense getting banned for a team that is gonna get embarrassed by the NYY's for the 2006 thing, unless they let the Twins take the fall for them.

FSD put up a graphic that the Twins (up until today) were 11-1 in their last 12, leading the AL in BA, ERA and saves. I think they are not gonna just roll over like the last time they were in here.

Comment

No, I don't think they're rolling over either. They've slid enough over the past month or so. It just so happened that the Tigers were rolling in the mud at the same time. The only way the Tigers are going to win this division is if they go out and take it directly to the Twins, very similar to what they did about 6 weeks or so ago against the White Sox when CWS caught us in the standings. You know which series I'm talking about. Another performance like that is necessary here, especially tomorrow night, as the '84 team is being honored.

If we get the first one, then it's a best of three series to wrap up the division before the weekend. I don't want to drag this out very long if at all possible.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I just want to comment on the comments Sparky made during their honoring of the '84 title team. That was one of the classiest speeches (albeit short) that I have ever heard. I guess it just wouldn't be Sparky if he didn't spend nearly his whole speech complimenting Jim Leyland and the opponent's manager Ron Gardenhire. We need more Sparky's in the game today.

BTW, game is on MLB Network for those unable to see the game elsewhere.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

No game tonight.

Split doubleheader tomorrow. 11 AM and 5:30 PM
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

That's noon and 7pm here. The pregame for tomorrow night actually starts at 6:30.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  No game tonight.

Split doubleheader tomorrow. 11 AM and 5:30 PM
                  For those of you not in (scoffs) Central Time, the first game is at noon EDT. The second game will be at the regularly scheduled 7:05.
                  Originally posted by Jon
                  You call everything.

Comment

That's noon and 7pm here. The pregame for tomorrow night actually starts at 6:30.
                    FSD and MLBN were blacked out so the times obviously came from FSN.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Original pitching rotation, assuming the race goes down to the last game:
                      Monday--Porcello
                      Tuesday--Verlander
                      Wednesday--Bonine
                      Thursday--Robertson
                      Friday--Jackson
                      Saturday--Porcello
                      Sunday--Verlander

Now, we are in a little trouble if this weekend's games are meaningful:
                      Tuesday--Porcello & Verlander
                      Wednesday--Bonine
                      Thursday--Robertson
                      Friday--Jackson
                      Saturday--Miner (?)
                      Sunday--Verlander

The rain just took a start away from Porcello and gave it to Miner.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                        The rain just took a start away from Porcello and gave it to Miner.
                        If its a race you don't let something like normal rest bother you. You start the guy a day earlier than he's used to.
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          If its a race you don't let something like normal rest bother you. You start the guy a day earlier than he's used to.
                          If he weren't 20 years old, I would agree with you. He was in high school in 2007, Class A ball in 2008. I don't think he would handle short rest very well.

Obviously, your other choice is to start Verlander on short rest and go with Porcello on Sunday on regular rest. I still think Miner might be a better option than a start for either of them on short rest.

Tough call either way.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Runner on 2nd no out, Tigers don't scratch anything across...over and over again. Runner on 2nd no out for the Twins, run scores. This offense sucks donkey ****.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Nick, I think they even stranded you and I in the 4th. I don't have a good feeling about this game. I have a feeling that this game will set the tone for the rest of the series, and the rest of the season for that matter.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X