Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented Movies: Now In Smell-O-Rama!

That's an interesting take on film I guess. Star Wars was a huge advancement in technology as well. Really offered nothing else at the time. Star Wars was nothing more than a Spaghetti Western placed in a futuristic world.

But, ok, technology has nothing to offer in film.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      True, with the story bit, but that's common with movies nowadays, so I can't use that with Avatar. Not having seen it, but having read enough about it, I'd say it's more with how the story is told that is the factor as far as "retread" is being used by you as a point.

Example: the whole Romeo and Juliet is more than a tired plot. However, to use a generally entertaining movie (although it's far from great), "Romeo Must Die" was worth a see. And that's on the lower end of a retelling.

Avatar offers nothng new except advancements in computer technology, in my eyes. And I don't find that entertaining, usually. I see nothing in this movie to catch my attention.
      To be clear, your problem isn't actually the CGI, it's the fact that there's nothing new in the movie other than the visual effects?
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
        Im with Brenthoven on this one. There is just nothing about that movie that truly interests me.
        I was in the same boat...until I saw it.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          That's an interesting take on film I guess. Star Wars was a huge advancement in technology as well. Really offered nothing else at the time. Star Wars was nothing more than a Spaghetti Western placed in a futuristic world.

But, ok, technology has nothing to offer in film.
          Let's take it to the extreme, shall we?

Star Wars had space, and honestly, as a movie? It wasn't Oscar worthy or anything. But it was entertaining as all hell. And again, it's how the story is told. Sure, Star Wars may have been a futuristic spaghetti western, but it was told in a certain way that made it good.

Heck, the Matrix was nothing more than "Our Saviour Has Come" movie, but it was told in such a way that it made it good.

And if you want to go back, "A Fistful Of Dollars" was a pure remake. I don't see anyone saying that it was a bad movie. It's the way it was told.

tcbg: pretty much. I feel (from viewing the trailers) that it takes away from the movie, rather than add to it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Ok, a better way to put it, I guess:

If the technology is the main selling point to watch a movie, rather than the plot, or the acting, or the action, or whatever, that's something I'm just not interested in.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Ok, a better way to put it, I guess:

If the technology is the main selling point to watch a movie, rather than the plot, or the acting, or the action, or whatever, that's something I'm just not interested in.
              Personally, I think that is short-sighted, and quite possibly disingenuous. Movies are a visual medium; visual effects are an integral part of what makes a movie watchable. Think of how many movies are panned because the visuals are terrible.

Again, I was of the same mindset as you. Then I was dragged to see it, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's no "Godfather", but it was pretty much thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                Personally, I think that is short-sighted, and quite possibly disingenuous. Movies are a visual medium; visual effects are an integral part of what makes a movie watchable. Think of how many movies are panned because the visuals are terrible.

Again, I was of the same mindset as you. Then I was dragged to see it, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's no "Godfather", but it was pretty much thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
                With special effects, I want it to complement the movie at hand. I don't want it to be the star. As for movies mentioned previously, and a couple others:

The Matrix: the effects were eye-candy, and were an aside, simply put. The true story (in my eyes) was the fact that we were in a fake world; the whole physical constraint vs mental freedom was fascinating for me.

Star Wars: same thing as far as the aside. It was basically a blend of action/drama/romance. Maybe you could even throw in a coming of age angle. But the effects were an afterthought.

Even combos of animation/live action fall into that. Roger Rabbit? Great comedy, with a touch of social commentary. Again, while the effects were front and center, the main push was on the slapstick comedy. To me, it was an animated movie with "live action" being the add-on, instead of the reverse.

The Labryinth/Neverending Story: while the movies sucked, the puppetry/etc were a complement to the main story. They weren't the star of the movie. It was a nice add-on for the people who were watching these.

Comment

With special effects, I want it to complement the movie at hand. I don't want it to be the star. As for movies mentioned previously, and a couple others:

The Matrix: the effects were eye-candy, and were an aside, simply put. The true story (in my eyes) was the fact that we were in a fake world; the whole physical constraint vs mental freedom was fascinating for me.

Star Wars: same thing as far as the aside. It was basically a blend of action/drama/romance. Maybe you could even throw in a coming of age angle. But the effects were an afterthought.
                  1) the effects were not one of the stars of The Matrix? Really?

2) I don't think you'd have found many people in 1977 who thought the effects in Star Wars were "an afterthought".

3) The visual effects in Avatar are so good that about 20 minutes into the movie, you forget that they are visual effects (also in part because the actors still have to act with more than just their voices).

I'm sorry, Brent, all of your counter-arguments just sound more and more like those of someone resisting, not because of the movie, but because of the hype. I'm done with this argument, though. There's no point discussing this any further.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Yes. That's how uninterested I am in Avatar. CGI can only go so far until it's a cartoon. I have nothing against cartoons, but I long for the days of classic animation.
                    http://www.pete.com/media/573/Avatar_like_Pocahontas/

I haven't seen it either, don't have any real desire to see Avatar, but I don't think I'm as gung ho about it as you.

To those who have seen Avatar, is there anything on the screen that's not CGI? I thought they used the same premise for visuals as that Jim Carey vehicle A Christmas Story released last holiday season.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Avatar's technological contribution is similar to Sin City, A Scanner Darkly or to go way back, The Cabinet of Dr. Calgari -- yes, the tech is the star and it's a gimmick, but it's also justified by the material. In SC it was comic-noir, in ASD it was the jumpy, creepy, paranoia of the vision, in CDC it's that gloriously disturbing German surrealism; in Avatar it was the softcore "Disney for adolescents" fantasy.

And honestly, Avatar wasn't nearly as horrible as it could have (with its budget, arguably, should have) been. There was nothing interesting or redeeming in the writing or direction, but the eye candy was staggering.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 06-09-2010, 12:45 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

We're really comparing A Scanner Darkly and Avatar?
                        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                          We're really comparing A Scanner Darkly and Avatar?
                          Sure, though I enjoyed A Scanner Darkly a lot more. At least it was funny.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's just not the same without someone yelling "MORTAL KOMBAT!" and then the techno kicking in...
                            Like the article said, it is probably just a live-action trailer for another game. If it does turn into a movie, it would likely suck. Looks better than the other attempts anyway though. I am biased however, Scorpion was my favorite.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

To those who have seen Avatar, is there anything on the screen that's not CGI? I thought they used the same premise for visuals as that Jim Carey vehicle A Christmas Story released last holiday season.
                              There's plenty that isn't and quite frankly if not it's hard to tell. That's the advancement.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm sorry, Brent, all of your counter-arguments just sound more and more like those of someone resisting, not because of the movie, but because of the hype. I'm done with this argument, though. There's no point discussing this any further.
                                I was getting ready to post something similar - that Avitar was the thing to see, and Brent is getting all arrogant, saying that he won't see it just because he wants to be that guy that sits back and is too cool to go see it...
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X