Road Bike Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Bike Advice

I know there are a lot of cycling enthusiasts around these parts, so I figured I'd ask for some advice on 2 things:

1) Recommended bikes (full bikes and parts suggestions welcome)
    2) Things to look for when purchasing used - I might go the craigslist route once I've had a chance to narrow down my criteria and figure out my frame size

Details:

I am shopping around for a road bike. As I explained to a friend of mine, it's like I've got a station wagon for everyday use and now I want a sports car for the weekends. My current bike (the station wagon) is a 2004 Gary Fisher Nirvana. It's reasonably light (without loaded panniers, anyway), but it's a mid to low-end hybrid and the gearing just can't keep up with even a bottom-end road bike, much less a lightweight racing class ride. I'd like to get a faster machine for weekend jaunts, longer local trips, and those times when I need to get to work in a hurry/want to ride a bit during lunch.

Here's what I'm looking for:

General: Bike for riding moderately long distances (generally 10-50 miles) on pavement. The guy at the shop told me a compact gear with something like a 50-11 (approximately what he said - I didn't write it down) at the upper end would be a good transition from what I've got on the hybrid, but I don't know that much about gearing so I'll have to do some reading and test riding. If nothing else, it'll be good to learn that stuff before I start compulsively watching the Tour de France.

Terrain: road/paved paths, and around these parts a good percentage of the rides will feature some decent hills.

Weight: lighter is better (duh), but I don't feel the need for a full carbon fiber frame or crazy ultralight wheels.

Components - I don't need top-end components, but I don't want junk either.

Budget - Roughly $1500 at the high end. I'm willing to spend a little bit more for the perfect ride, but cheaper is obviously better, and I'm not willing to dial it up to the next level unless I get a crazy bargain (see below).

I'm currently in the idle shopping phase of my search. I went to a bike shop in SF last weekend, and the guy there gave me some great info. It sounds like I'm looking at bikes that retail new at around $1200-1500 - mostly aluminum or aluminum with a carbon fiber fork. I don't think that particular shop had any steel frames on the floor - their visible selection of interesting road bikes was limited to Fuji aluminum frames and Too Expensive - but I'm guessing I could find some steel frames in my price range as well.

From what the guy at the shop told me, the main differences between the $1200 and $2500 bikes are weight and durability. The components are more precise and more durable at the higher level, and the frames tend to be carbon fiber rather than aluminum or aluminum/carbon mixes. I don't currently feel the need for a carbon fiber frame, and I get the feeling the extra durability and precision of the higher-end components would probably be wasted on me at this stage. I'm a recreational/short commute rider, I don't have a ton of experience and therefore I'm not picky about my shifters and such yet, and I'm unlikely to hit the 3k mile mark on this bike for 3+ years so the components on the $1200 models shouldn't wear out until I'm ready to either upgrade the whole thing or replace all the parts. I won't turn my nose up at a carbon fiber frame with high end components if one falls in my lap, but as far as I can tell I don't need anything quite that good.

So, any suggestions? Do my criteria sound reasonable? Is there a good argument for me to hold out for a great deal on a bike with better components? I don't feel like I need them, but I'm basically ignorant so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Re: Road Bike Advice

I'm not really up on current bike tech, but there's a few generalities that still hold.

1. Fit is the most important thing. You need to be comfortable on the bike, not always shifting and moving about to find the best position.

2. The frame is the most important part of the bike. Parts wear out, and need to be replaced, so buying a bike based on what it has hanging on it is backward. That said, most bikes these days come with pretty decent frame construction, so if one offers better parts spec for the same or cheaper price, and it fits, then go for it.

Used to be, you'd have a frame, and the framebuilder would just slap a complete Shimano group on it, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, in order of quality. These days, bikemakers prowl the parts bins looking for any sort of price advantage, and mix and match parts accordingly. They might spec a 105 crank, and then use Tektro brakes, some no-name or house brand Taiwanese
    hubs, bars and stem, etc. It's hard to tell who makes what, and what is quality and what isn't. Odds are that Trek 'Bontrager' labelled parts, and Specialized house branded, or Ritchey components, came out of the very same Taiwanese plant.

Unless you're absolutely certain of what size you need, buying used might be a tough task. Just visit as many bike shops as you can, ride as many different bikes in your price range and size as you can,. and buy the one that speaks to you. Replace and upgrade the parts as they wear out, or the upgrade bug bites you.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

If you are in a hilly area and want some gears that will help you out with that, you should look for either a compact double or a triple on the front. Triples are a bit higher maintenance and need to be adjusted more often to shift well, so compact double might be the best bet. Shimano 105 level components are very nice in a moderate price range. Tiagra are just OK, and I probably wouldn't buy a bike with Sora. As mentioned above, fit is pretty important so make sure you take the bike for a test ride or two and it is comfortable. Also if buying from a local bike shop, they should offer fitting including putting you on a trainer and taking measurements and adjustments to seat position and possibly stem length and handlebar height.

Comment

So, My story is horribly outdated, but here goes. I got a Cannondale R-500 long time ago at a bike fair in Mpls at the fairgrounds. it was a great bike, much better than I was a cyclist. about 5 years later, I was biking to work when a car cut me off and I smashed into it. I took out her entire windshield, but had no major injuries. The fork snapped off, and after calling the Cannondale company I got a formal letter that that type of accident would probably have permanently damaged the frame. So, I got a replacement bike from her insurance company. It was a R500, but all of the components were upgraded. It's about 15 years old now, but is a WONDERFUL bike. Aluminum frame, great components. 3 gear front crank, with 7 rear gears.

I'm a big fan of Cannondale bikes. look at them. I don't think they sell the R500 anymore, but they sell the same sort of bikes.
        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

UPL, you can't wait until Oct when hopefully my bike shop will be open and just get it from me?

After all, it will be the Official Bike Shop of USCHO.
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
            UPL, you can't wait until Oct when hopefully my bike shop will be open and just get it from me?
            when is this going down, where, and why have you not told me about this yet?????
            Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
              when is this going down, where, and why have you not told me about this yet?????
              Early Oct (hopefully)
              West Phoenix
              I have.

I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                Used to be, you'd have a frame, and the framebuilder would just slap a complete Shimano group on it, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, in order of quality. These days, bikemakers prowl the parts bins looking for any sort of price advantage, and mix and match parts accordingly. They might spec a 105 crank, and then use Tektro brakes, some no-name or house brand Taiwanese
                hubs, bars and stem, etc. It's hard to tell who makes what, and what is quality and what isn't. Odds are that Trek 'Bontrager' labelled parts, and Specialized house branded, or Ritchey components, came out of the very same Taiwanese plant.

Unless you're absolutely certain of what size you need, buying used might be a tough task. Just visit as many bike shops as you can, ride as many different bikes in your price range and size as you can,. and buy the one that speaks to you. Replace and upgrade the parts as they wear out, or the upgrade bug bites you.

Thanks for the pointers, very useful. Riding lots of bikes is pretty much my plan. I figured I'd get fitted before shopping used, but then of course I'd feel compelled to buy from the local bike shop so there's a good chance I won't bother to prowl the used lists anyway. Besides, there are other benefits to buying from a shop.

Funny you should mention those brands for the mish-mash parts - my current bike has Shimano shifters and derailleurs, Tektro brakes, and some Bontranger parts (the stem and handlebars, I think, but I haven't looked in ages).

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
                If you are in a hilly area and want some gears that will help you out with that, you should look for either a compact double or a triple on the front. Triples are a bit higher maintenance and need to be adjusted more often to shift well, so compact double might be the best bet.
                This is exactly what the guy at the bike shop told me. I'll probably go with a compact double, but it depends on how the test rides go.

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                So, My story is horribly outdated, but here goes. I got a Cannondale R-500 long time ago at a bike fair in Mpls at the fairgrounds. it was a great bike, much better than I was a cyclist. about 5 years later, I was biking to work when a car cut me off and I smashed into it. I took out her entire windshield, but had no major injuries.
                Wow. Glad you're ok. I'll check out whatever the local shops happen to have, but I'll keep Cannondale in mind. Based on my 10 seconds on Google it looks like they don't make an R500 anymore, but that's about the right price point.

After all, it will be the Official Bike Shop of USCHO.
                I don't think I can wait until October. Maybe you want to give me an early-bird deal on a custom build before you officially open. . .

Tell you what - if I'm still shopping at the end of October I'll go visit some friends in Phoenix and stop by to see what you've got.

Comment

Early Oct (hopefully)
                  West Phoenix
                  I have.

I believe we need to have a chit-chat about sponsorship, sir.
                  Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Working...
                  X