This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 2010

Death penalty for 5th offense drunken driving or higher. For or against?

Only half kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Recruit the kid.
      Get to know the family.

Send flowers to the funeral ... of the recruit ... and get an NCAA violation.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/8/4/160...ations-contact
      I don't get this as a violation. You can't contact the recruit- are they going to use a meduim at the funeral? The recruit is dead. How does contacting the family a violation. Are they thinking the kid is going to be resurrected? The NCAA is nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
        Death penalty for 5th offense drunken driving or higher. For or against?

Only half kidding.
        I think three should be a life sentence. Only about 12.5% kidding. Seriously, three is insane. At that point you've absolutely PROVEN without a shadow of a doubt you can't control yourself around alcohol and cars. Get off my roads.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I think three should be a life sentence. Only about 12.5% kidding. Seriously, three is insane. At that point you've absolutely PROVEN without a shadow of a doubt you can't control yourself around alcohol and cars. Get off my roads.
          3 should be a soft life sentence (rehab, good behavior, work programs, etc for early release). 4 should be hard life sentence (no parole, dunzo).

But I think 1 should be easy (anyone can make a mistake; depending on how obscene it is, anywhere from prison to community service), 2 is hard prison term (no parole).

All of this assuming no deaths, btw.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            3 should be a soft life sentence (rehab, good behavior, work programs, etc for early release). 4 should be hard life sentence (no parole, dunzo).

But I think 1 should be easy (anyone can make a mistake; depending on how obscene it is, anywhere from prison to community service), 2 is hard prison term (no parole).

All of this assuming no deaths, btw.
            There wouldn't be anybody left in North Dakota, Minnesota(outside of the Twin Cities) and Wisconsin.

Comment

I'm hardly unbiased here. I've posted previously about the drunk who came within an inch of wiping out me and a big chunk of my family at Christmastime a few years ago. And I believe I've mentioned looking into the haunted eyes of the president of my fraternity whose fiancee had been killed in a head on with a repeat drunk driver. What do you say to this boy? What do you say to any survivors?

So, yes, I favor the most draconian possible punishment and it seems to me that 3 DUI convictions is where things should get very unpleasant for these people. They're drunks. And they drive drunk all the time. And they should be gotten off the road, forever.

I want to reduce the number of times anyone has to look into the eyes of a young man whose life has been damaged, perhaps beyond repair, trying to find the appropriate cliches to utter.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Recruit the kid.
                Get to know the family.

Send flowers to the funeral ... of the recruit ... and get an NCAA violation.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/8/4/160...ations-contact
                Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                I don't get this as a violation. You can't contact the recruit- are they going to use a meduim at the funeral? The recruit is dead. How does contacting the family a violation. Are they thinking the kid is going to be resurrected? The NCAA is nuts.
                Certainly not at Boise State. Maybe at Notre Dame or BYU perhaps...
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  Certainly not at Boise State. Maybe at Notre Dame or BYU perhaps...
                  You must spread....

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    You must spread....
                    That's what... he said?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      That's what... he said?
                      heh.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        ... the drunk who came within an inch of wiping out me ...
                        I'm only here because the car I was driving when the drunk hit me had a full frame and a big engine block.

What's wrong with a "three strikes" DUI law?
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I'm only here because the car I was driving when the drunk hit me had a full frame and a big engine block.

What's wrong with a "three strikes" DUI law?
                          Nothing. Despite the best efforts of MADD I believe too many of us still think "there but for the grace of God go I," when it comes to DWI. The majority of the problem is not the dude who had a beer on his way home from work. It's the hopeless boozer who drives drunk all the time.

The lady who very nearly wiped out my family had spent the evening in
                          Bob's Country Bunker (where they have both kinds of music, country and western) and by around 9:30 blew a .25. This was on a Wednesday night and I'm pretty sure it would be true just about any night of any week.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 08-13-2010, 06:24 PM.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

What should we do to the sober old goat who ignored a red light and t-boned me, rolling me completely over before I slammed into a light post Friday afternoon at about 2:30? Is that really any more forgivable?
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              What should we do to the sober old goat who ignored a red light and t-boned me, rolling me completely over before I slammed into a light post Friday afternoon at about 2:30? Is that really any more forgivable?
                              First we say "glad you are typing on here", sounds like you could have been in a lot worse shape. Thankfully it wasn't worse.

Was he too old to drive or just careless?

I do think there should be some kind of aditional screening made during license renewal for folks over a certain age. Both my parents are in their 80's and drive well, they aren't breaking the speed limit but they appear to drive responsibly. So, I'm not for a mandatory age cutoff but do think it would be legal to have them all perform some kind of test.

But, old people, your guy notwithstanding, probably cause fewer accidents per capita than previous DUI offenders.

As somebody who lost an older brother to a DUI driver, I have very little sympathy. To the point made a while back, I guess anybody could make a mistake one time, but 2 times and you're out as far as I'm concerned.
                              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

I suppose the very existence of Tila Tequila warrants an entry in the Nice Planet thread.

You could probably say the same about Insane Clown Posse fans (aka Juggalos).

So what happens when you put the two of them together? You can probably guess, especially since it's being posted here and not in the music thread.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/when-...dy-wins,44201/

An interesting first hand account from AV Club contributer Nathin Rabin:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/when-...-the-ti,44221/

I had come to the Gathering to research my third book, a collection of pop-anthropological essays about strange musical subcultures. I wanted to study the mysterious Juggalo in its native environment, and pretty much every Juggalo I spoke to attributed the year’s lackluster attendance—the Gathering seemed to have attracted half the audience of the previous year’s 10th-anniversary festival—to the mainstream acts littering the bill.

“No offense or nothing, but a lot of these acts, like Naughty by Nature, I didn’t even know they were around any more. What are Juggalos going to want with washed-up acts from the ’90s?” groused an attendee. No one drove for ten or 15 or 20 hours from **** towns throughout our fine land into a semi-domesticated hamlet filled with clapboard churches, rusted-out trailers, and endless stretches of nothing much at all in order to see someone like Tone Loc or Vanilla Ice.

No, they came to see what Juggalos approvingly describe as “the wicked ****,” the kind of bloody, gothic “horrorcore” espoused by Insane Clown Posse and its acolytes and protégés. The Gathering was above all else a family reunion for a sprawling aggregation of misunderstood misfits who luxuriated in Juggalo love and the camaraderie of their fellow ninjas. For a few magical days, they were the normal ones, and the preferred Juggalo beverage Faygo was more popular than Pepsi or Coke. Suddenly neck tattoos of the Insane Clown Posse’s hatchet-man logo became sources of intense pride rather than obstacles to securing even the sketchiest employment. The inmates were running the asylum.

Tila Tequila, friends, did not bring the wicked ****. She did not represent the Hatchet or the ideology of Psychopathic Records. She did not rep the underground. If anything, she represented the antithesis of the wicked ****.

This invites the question: What the **** was Tila Tequila doing at the Gathering in the first place? Who couldn’t have seen this train wreck coming from half a hemisphere away? Every Juggalo I spoke to that day seethed with rage and suggested that something very, very bad would happen to Tequila that very night.

“Juggalos don’t play,” insisted a young man by a trailer. “If we don’t like an act, if they don’t bring the wicked ****, we’ll throw **** at them. When Andrew W.K played here they were chucking all these water bottles filled up, like 90 percent with ****, and then partially unscrewed so it ****ing got all over him.”

If Andrew W.K, the human personification of partying, got abused at the Gathering, what chance did Tequila have of making it out of a nightmare gig with her dignity intact? For that matter, did Tequila have any dignity to imperil? (Quick answers: very little and no.)
                                Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X