This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XIII: Through the Group Stages

Boy, the Algerian keeper really misplayed the ball on the goal. He was trying to collect it when it looked like he should have just punched it away. Either that or it's one of those tricky new balls.

One of the cable channels here (BBC, Australia TV) said that the first two games were surprising in that the referees were not handing out too many cards, because they usually try to enforce things at the beginning of the tourney. That's clearly changed for the subsequent games.

I'm also beginning to hate those vulva horns, or whatever they're called. I'd prefer to hear the singing of the fans, not the incessant swarm of bees.

Edit: One of the announcers on Korean TV for the next game has a blonde mullet. And the "party in the back" is blonde. Wow. Just wow.
    Last edited by Hopkinja; 06-13-2010, 08:41 AM.
    Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

I think vuvuzela is the word you are looking for.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        I think vuvuzela is the word you are looking for.
        I like vulva better.
        Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
          I like vulva better.
          I'm not sure those make a buzzing noise...
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
            Seeing the game, I think the US has a definite shot of beating Slovenia.
            The US will be the favorite, and rightly so. If we can't beat Slovenia and Algeria, we don't deserve to advance...simple as that.

Saying that, I think we'll have some struggles, but should manage to grab two victories in our last two matches. At that point, goal differential will determine who places 1st and 2nd between ourselves and England.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Ghana/Serbia could be a great game.

Comment

As an eternal pessimist for the US National Team, I'm a little nervous.

I think our biggest defensive problem is an inability to deal with opponents speed and Algeria has speed up front.

As for Slovenia, our offense the last couple of years has centered around opponent's mistakes. I don't mean that as a jab at our attack, just as an honest observation. We don't break down defenses that well, we score by exploiting mistakes. Slovenia looks pretty well organized. That could make it tough for us to score.

Anyway, our path to the second round is a lot clearer now.

Beat Slovenia and we are probably through.

Lose to Slovenia and go home.

Tie Slovenia and pray.
                UMD

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  Saying that, I think we'll have some struggles, but should manage to grab two victories in our last two matches. At that point, goal differential will determine who places 1st and 2nd between ourselves and England.
                  I agree this is going to be a fun group to watch from here on out.

Personally, I'll be surprised if England and the US both get two wins from their last two matches. Capello is probably happy to have Algeria and a possible chance to regroup next match. If I were English, I'd be real nervous about facing Slovenia right now.
                  UMD

Comment

Originally posted by JohnN View Post
                    I agree this is going to be a fun group to watch from here on out.

Personally, I'll be surprised if England and the US both get two wins from their last two matches. Capello is probably happy to have Algeria and a possible chance to regroup next match. If I were English, I'd be real nervous about facing Slovenia right now.
                    As far as England is concerned, they should destroy Algeria, and get to 4 points. If the US exploits Slovenia (which I think they can) then I doubt England will be too worried about facing Slovenia.

I wasn't all that impressed with Slovenia. They didn't really generate much offense (not that they are set up to do that), and Algeria was able to generate a few chances. Along with that, the US did not play a good game against England, and I think we'll see a better American side in our next match.

But who knows, it's the World Cup, and anything can happen.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Well this thread lasted almost through the first three days of games.

The next thread will probably last a week.

Title for the next thread? I nominate "World Soccer XIV: Suck it, England"

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Well this thread lasted almost through the first three days of games.

The next thread will probably last a week.

Title for the next thread? I nominate "World Soccer XIV: Suck it, England"
                        Sorry, didn't know there was a nomination process

If you don't like mine, I can delete it.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Sorry, didn't know there was a nomination process

If you don't like mine, I can delete it.
                          LOL No, that'll do.

Comment

Working...
                          X