Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yellowstone/Mt. Rushmore Advice

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    I forgot about the grand canyon of Yellowstone!! its another amazingly beautiful site.
    Yeah the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is amazing, with the yellow colored canyon walls, there are some fumorales where steam is still escaping from the canyon walls. It is a GREAT place to find ospery nests (there are usually 2-3 nesting pairs in the canyon. Last year there was one right near the edge on the North Rim (I cant remember which lookout sorry.)

Inspiration point is also a great overlook, it is way back (even further back) than artist point. Along the north rim they have kind of redone the road so you can drive along to each look out, hop out for a short walk and then go to the next one. There is also a nice trail along the north rim. The south rim travel is a little more jagged, but really on the south rim I would just do uncle Tom's and artist point. Those are the coolest parts of the south rim and the north rim is kind of set up better for viewing and traffic flow.

You can not see both falls at the same time.
    www.karenwingerphotography.com

Comment

Moose - I lived in Billings, MT for a while, and our second office was in Jackson, WY., so I had to "cut" through Yellowstone quite often and I've been to the Black Hills a couple of times as well. Everybody has pretty much covered everything.

The things I will add or agree with are; definately get to Devil's Tower as somebody said. It is very cool and allow for a few hours there as you can walk a trail around the whole thing.

Jackson, WY is a very cool town, but expensive.

Look up Quake Lake north of West Yellowstone. It and the story with it are impressive and IMO interesting.

I assume you will pull a trailer...I can't remember what you said right now. The Big Horns are underrated as mountain, but as Tim A. said, it will suck pulling a trailer, but doable, I wish I had been able to spend more time exploring them. IMO, the Beartooth Pass and NE entrance are overrated, but then I drove the **** thing about 15 times. However the NE and east entrances are the best two, with the East being the better of the two, again in my opinion. Personally, Beartooth is more impressive as in a "Holy Crap this is high", the east to Cody is more beautiful. Since you are headed to Yellowstone first, I'd go in the NE and out the East. Red Lodge is also a neat little town and the least pretentious of the "entrance" towns, although Red Lodge is more the gateway to the Beartooth Pass than an entrance town. Finally that late in August, plan for cool weather, especially in Yellowstone, it'll be good campfire weather.

Also, if you get out of your car and take a picture of the Bison, don't be the dolt that has to see how close he can get before he takes his picture. On my many trips through the Hayden Valley and numerous delays for Bison on the road, I was actively hoping some of the Bison would teach some of the bigger idiots a lesson.
      Last edited by Larch; 06-01-2010, 01:16 AM. Reason: Bison info.
      Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

I worked for a summer at Flagg Ranch Resort, which is in the small parkway between Yellowstone and the Tetons. Go to see the Grand Teton- it's worth it- and gives you an alternate way back- you can keep heading down to Laramie, and take the freeway back for a quick return.

Since this appears to be a pretty long vacation, I'll suggest treating your daughter somehow- and IF she likes horses (what little girl doesn't...)- try to take a horse ride in the Tetons. Not sure how expensive they would be, but in terms of giving her something to anticipate and be able to tolerate the motion sickness of sitting in the back seat going over the passes- I think it would be worth it. There are a few places where you can do this- even outside of the park in Jackson Hole.

And I'll second the comment about Jackson- it's borderline touristy....

I've been to many of the national parks in the US, and my favorite is Grand Teton- although I'm biased, as I could see the Grand from my bedroom window in Idaho.

Comment

Where are you driving from Moose?

Took the family on this exact same trip last year. Hit Yellowstone first, followed by the Black Hills. We went in July, just before the Sturgis Rally.

My recollection is that you're a BSU fan. If you're coming from northern Minnesota, I have a suggestion. Head to Yellowstone on what I would refer to as the northern route, through North Dakota and Montana. Here is why.

First, you don't take the same road out and back, which I hate on driving trips.

Second, you'll get a chance to see the Theodore Roosevelt National Park in western North Dakota, also part of the Badlands, and it is beautiful. It would also make a good first night's camping spot.

Third, your route in takes you within an hour's drive the Little Bighorn Battlefield, which is interesting if you've never had a chance to see it.

Finally, I really think the beauty of the northern route into Yellowstone is underappreciated. The drive from Red Lodge Montana, through the Beartooth Pass and Cooke City, Montana is spectacular.

People are correct when they say you will enjoy Hwy 14 and the trip through Wyoming, but you're going to see that anyway on your way to Rapid City.

I echo the suggestion to see Devil's Tower. Again, you will be so close it doesn't make sense to drive by it. I regret not having spent more time in Cody, WY.

Deadwood is touristy, but young kids have fun.

Enjoy your trip. We had a great time last year.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I echo the suggestion to see Devil's Tower. Again, you will be so close it doesn't make sense to drive by it. I regret not having spent more time in Cody, WY.
            Good call on Devil's Tower. Very cool.

And Cody has the Buffalo Bill Historical Center which is probably is the best museum (s) on the American West you ever see, if you are into it.

Comment

Devils Tower is worth a quick stop.
              I love Little Big Horn battle site. would go there ever year but the mister thinks I'm a little off.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

First off, thanks to everyone - and a special thanks to Winger. I even got my wife to read this because of the quality of the info here... Second, SJ, you are correct in that we'll be leaving from Bemidji. We are already planning the ND/Montana route there and SD back. I'm not sure Little Bighorn can be worked in, but Devils Tower sounds like a possibility.

Just so everyone knows, we are looking at a week total, with five days at Yellowstone and two at Mt. Rushmore. We've already decided to do the Tetons one day, and have a day set aside for whitewater rafting in Gardiner (with a visit to Mammoth Hot Springs that day too) at Montana Whitewater (we're looking at the "Yellowstone Half Day Paradise"). Anyone rafted, or used this company? That leaves three days for the hydrothermal areas and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. We're planning a stop in Cody on the way back east (and maybe Devils Tower), and I think the plan is to get to Rushmore in time to see it lit-up.

That's what we have as of now - subject to change, of course. We do have our reservations in for both yellowstone and Rushmore, but haven't made them yet for rafting - that will happen this week when I've got some spare time...
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                  We were looking at camping at the Canyon campground run by Xanterra. Definatly not looking at backcountry camping. We don't necessarly need electrical hook-up, but it would be nice.
                  Great suggestions by all here and since you're doing more of the standard family trip as opposed to anything crazy, I think the basics (as awesome as they are in this case) have been covered.

I will add one thing I don't believe has been mentioned. Old Faithful gets all the press and is worth seeing while there, but if you have the time you might want to check out a geyser like Lone Star.

Not quite the bohemoth that Old Faithful is, but it's not small, you (last time I was there) can pretty much walk right up to it and it's a very nice easy hike in and out. There are a few others that are quite impressive but require going off-trail to access, but I'd recommend this one if it fits into the schedule at all.
                  I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    I worked for a summer at Flagg Ranch Resort, which is in the small parkway between Yellowstone and the Tetons.
                    Ever take Grassy Lake Rd. out the back of the Flagg Ranch parking lot (more or less)? There are some awesome camp sites right on water if you go far enough and it always amuses us that complete solitude can be found back there despite it being right between two highly visited national parks.
                    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Bring mosquito spray. Lots of it. We camped (is staying in an RV camping? ) at fishing bridge the second or third week in July and the mosquitoes were as big and mean as buzzards there.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        Just so everyone knows, we are looking at a week total, with five days at Yellowstone and two at Mt. Rushmore. We've already decided to do the Tetons one day, and have a day set aside for whitewater rafting in Gardiner (with a visit to Mammoth Hot Springs that day too) at Montana Whitewater (we're looking at the "Yellowstone Half Day Paradise"). Anyone rafted, or used this company? That leaves three days for the hydrothermal areas and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. We're planning a stop in Cody on the way back east (and maybe Devils Tower), and I think the plan is to get to Rushmore in time to see it lit-up.
                        I haven't used the rafting company, but I will add a heads up. August is low water time on the mountain rivers and many companies shut down by then, not certain on yours but the white water may be running a little clear by then. We went on a company raft trip out of Cody in early August and it was fun, but probably the quietest of any of my white water trips...they didn't even go their normal full route because of low water levels. I know many areas had a low snow year and if there is a warm summer out there...

Not saying scrap it, just a heads up. You might put a raft in below the Power Dam and float it to Andrusia...it might be the same, depending on the section of the river they use.
                        Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          Bring mosquito spray. Lots of it. We camped (is staying in an RV camping? ) at fishing bridge the second or third week in July and the mosquitoes were as big and mean as buzzards there.
                          If having electricity and/or running water is camping, then having an RV is camping.

It's not hardcore, but it's camping.

And yes, I've done hardcore camping, too. As in, build your lean-to with branches and stuff.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                            Ever take Grassy Lake Rd. out the back of the Flagg Ranch parking lot (more or less)? There are some awesome camp sites right on water if you go far enough and it always amuses us that complete solitude can be found back there despite it being right between two highly visited national parks.
                            Being 20 years ago, I can't remember the name of the road, but is that the one that leads toward the two hot springs where people liked to sit and relax in? There were two areas- one that was a "built" pool area, just sitting water, and the other has a small waterfall to have the warm water massage you gently. I lightly burnt my foot in the hot mud in the second one once.

For some fun swimming, just inside the south entrance of Yellowstone from Flagg Ranch, there was a river that was very much fed by the warm springs, so one could comfortably swim in the water all day. It was pretty sweet.

Having a working pass- we had free reign over both parks. That was pretty awesome.

Comment

Granted its been awhile since I've been there, but I don't recall there being anything to do at Mt. Rushmore that would warrant a 2 day stay. You could probably do everything there is to do in a couple hours.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                Granted its been awhile since I've been there, but I don't recall there being anything to do at Mt. Rushmore that would warrant a 2 day stay. You could probably do everything there is to do in a couple hours.
                                I might have over-stated the "two day" thing. We're getting there, spending the night and leaving again the next day heading home by afternoon... So, technically two days, but really not
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X