Acoustic Guitar Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Guitar Advice

My daughter (9 years old) just started playing, and I've decided to try to learn guitar as well. I've got a pretty good back-ground in music (played upright and electric bass for ~15 years), and am picking up the guitar just messing around on my daughters (Mitchell MDJ10 Junior). What I'm looking for is likely a used acoustic that is around $150, but would buy new if I saw something I liked. I love the look of an archtop (like a 1950's Kay), but those look out of my price range. So, any advice on a used acoustic in that price range (or an archtop that I'm missing)?
    Last edited by moose97; 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: Acoustic Guitar Advice

Look for a used Yamaha. They are inexpensive, sturdy, sound OK and, if you keep it up and learn to play, will make a great beach guitar after you buy a more expensive one. Archtops generally are used for jazz and some fusion sounds. Most, not all, are intended to be played through an amp.
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I'd agree on the Yamahas. They were my starter guitars and remained my camping guitars for years. Very respectable sound and playability.
      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

I've looked at a couple Yamahas. Anyone familiar with Indiana Guitars? I've read nothing but positive reviews online. Anyone know of dis-satisfied users? Reason I ask; I'm looking at this Arietta model from them since it looks similar to an archtop:

*****http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4122BAkphhL._SS400_.jpg******
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
        X