Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How rich are you?

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    I don't remember all the marginal rates, but the top rate is 8.5% for income over ~$19000.
    off topic, but...

unless the new law gets repealed Maine will have a pretty flat 6.5% income tax rate (people making over 250,000 will pay an extra .35%). The loss of income tax revenue will be offset by broadening the sales tax to some things currently untaxed, increasing meals and lodging taxes, and eliminating some exemptions. I'm all for this since meals and lodging taxes help shift more of the tax burden to tourists and part-time residents, and I don't spend a lot on the newly taxed items. Unfortunately the tea baggers and republicans are foaming at the mouth to repeal this before it goes into affect. The wall street journal called it the Maine Miracle: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124571672694839297.html

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      Our new administration's most notable accomplishment is covering an exposed boob on the state seal (the Goddess Virtus would otherwise corrupt us?)
      They loves the guns and hates the gays, though, so it really is the gummint most Virginians want and deserve.

When the Second Secession happens, NoVa is welcome to break off from Virtucky and join civilization.
      Last edited by Kepler; 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        off topic, but...

unless the new law gets repealed Maine will have a pretty flat 6.5% income tax rate (people making over 250,000 will pay an extra .35%). The loss of income tax revenue will be offset by broadening the sales tax to some things currently untaxed, increasing meals and lodging taxes, and eliminating some exemptions. I'm all for this since meals and lodging taxes help shift more of the tax burden to tourists and part-time residents, and I don't spend a lot on the newly taxed items. Unfortunately the tea baggers and republicans are foaming at the mouth to repeal this before it goes into affect. The wall street journal called it the Maine Miracle: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124571672694839297.html
        They're still going to raise the same amount of money and who's to say they won't raise the income tax back up next session?
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          They're still going to raise the same amount of money
          not from me.

They've already slashed tons of money from the state budget just to balance the budget. How do you expect them to raise less money? They can't borrow money from China like the feds. You're probably one of those teabaggers that would complain if we had a flat tax of $50/year.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            not from me.

They've already slashed tons of money from the state budget just to balance the budget. How do you expect them to raise less money? They can't borrow money from China like the feds. You're probably one of those teabaggers that would complain if we had a flat tax of $50/year.
            If they raise the same amount of money why are they cutting anything else? There are several bond issues on the ballot, my guess is they are borrowing money from someplace.

Comment

I'd rather have a sales tax than an income tax. Rather than take it away from you before you get it, they can take it away from you when you buy **** you don't need. Of course, I'm going to guess that they'll throw a VAT at us and keep the income tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                I'd rather have a sales tax than an income tax. Rather than take it away from you before you get it, they can take it away from you when you buy **** you don't need. Of course, I'm going to guess that they'll throw a VAT at us and keep the income tax.
                Maine wants to tax labor on car repair and equipment repair,communication wiring, not sure what else. They want to tax veterinary services. The bill was lobbied hard, golf course fees were in there but got taken out by some campaign contribution, I mean common sense

Comment

The bill was lobbied hard, golf course fees were in there but got taken out by some campaign contribution, I mean common sense
                  Oh sure, they pass taxes on everyone but themselves - since politicians love to golf.

Comment

Not sure that's possible Wait till we get Comrade Mitchell as our next Governor, then we'll show you.
                    You really think Libby is going to win? If the Republicans run Mills this time, I think he wins. If the Repubs run Otten he'll lose badly. Poliquin is hard to read...interesting tack to turn negative in the primary when it's almost universally positive until the general. It's weird too; I know Bruce (he was the baseball coach and head of the BoT for NYA) and you'll never meet a more friendly, affable guy but his attacks on Otten were stunning.

The Dem side is still wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if Rosa, Steve or Libby won... And since this is Maine, we'll end up with a Green and at least one Independent in the race...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      You really think Libby is going to win? If the Republicans run Mills this time, I think he wins. ..
                      I think Mitchell wins, she's leading the polls but more undecideds than anything else so I guess that could change. I doubt Abbott left Collins to lose so I think he wins for the repubs. 3 indies got enough sigs so should be a crowded ballot

Comment

Maine wants to tax labor on car repair and equipment repair,communication wiring, not sure what else. They want to tax veterinary services. The bill was lobbied hard, golf course fees were in there but got taken out by some campaign contribution, I mean common sense
                        At one point Maine wanted to tax business people coming to the state for meetings etc. Don't know if they enacted it. So, if a vendor or supplier came to visit you, they wanted to tax them for the amount of time they were 'earning a living' in Maine. Great plan.
                        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                          At one point Maine wanted to tax business people coming to the state for meetings etc. Don't know if they enacted it. So, if a vendor or supplier came to visit you, they wanted to tax them for the amount of time they were 'earning a living' in Maine. Great plan.
                          Dems have run the state for 30 something years, what do you expect

Comment

Working...
                          X