X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet © 2009

http://www.startribune.com/local/eas...3aPc:_Yyc:aUUT

47 trapped on 'nightmare' flight to the Twin Cities

Security and rules kept passengers confined all night in a small plane at Rochester due to thunderstorms.

When Link Christin boarded a Continental Airlines flight from Houston to the Twin Cities on Friday night, he expected to be on the ground in about three hours and ready for a comfy bed.

Instead, he was among 47 passengers who spent the night trapped inside a small airplane, parked at the Rochester airport, complete with crying babies and the aroma of over-used toilets.

The ExpressJet Airlines that operated the plane says the flight was diverted to Rochester because of Twin Cities thunderstorms, and that airline regulations prevented passengers from getting off the plane.

Christin is incredulous that the airline couldn't figure out an option besides trapping passengers on the plane for nine hours.

"It's not like you're on a [Boeing] 747 and you can walk around,'' said Christin, a professor at William Mitchell College of Law. "This was a sardine can, with a single row of seats on one side of the plane and two rows of seats on the other. And they've got about 50 people inside, including babies, for the whole night. It was a nightmare.''

Continental Airlines, which issued the tickets for Flight 2816, referred inquiries to ExpressJet Airlines. ExpressJet spokesperson Kristy Nicholas said the flight ran into several problems.

The airline crew on the plane reached their maximum work hours in the air, so another crew had to be flown in. The alternative of chartering a bus didn't work out. And letting the passengers into the Rochester airport was not possible because they would have to go through security screening again, and the screeners had gone home for the day.

What about just letting the passengers sleep in the airport terminal? "That was not provided as an option by ground services personnel at the airport,'' said Nicholas.

The flight left Houston about 9:30 p.m. Friday, said Nicholas, and was slated to arrive in the Twin Cities by midnight. But in Minnesota, passengers were told the flight was being diverted to Rochester because of thunderstorms and that it would refuel there, said Christin.

With the plane grounded in Rochester, the clock ticked from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m. and beyond. Christin said he tried dozing off. Passengers received no food, except for a bag of pretzels earlier, he said.

And "the smell of the bathroom was getting worse, the smell of the babies was getting worse.''

As light began to fill the cabin around 6 a.m., the plane doors opened and passengers were allowed into the airport terminal, Christin said. The airlines gave them one free beverage, he said. By about 9:30 a.m., the passengers were sent back on the same plane they had spent the night in -- which by this time had no functioning restroom. They landed in the Twin Cities about 11 a.m.

ExpressJet apologizes for the incident, Nicholas said. But passenger safety and the legal requirements of airlines were top priorities.

The attorney also wondered why Continental Airlines was not taking responsibility for the incident.

"My boarding pass has a huge headline saying Continental,'' said Christin. "The flight attendant said, 'Thank you for flying Continental.' The comment cards we were given said Continental. Continental is totally in charge, whether by ownership or agency.''

Comment

I bet they could have gotten off the plane if someone got up and walked toward the cockpit, or just opened an emergency exit. Sad thing is, even the local police probably would have played along and arrested the guy who had enough courage to stand up to that bull**** in the name of airport security. Hopefully the judge would have enough good sense to throw that one straight out of court though. What a joke.
      @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
      I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Originally posted by Boosh View Post
        I bet they could have gotten off the plane if someone got up and walked toward the cockpit, or just opened an emergency exit. Sad thing is, even the local police probably would have played along and arrested the guy who had enough courage to stand up to that bull**** in the name of airport security. Hopefully the judge would have enough good sense to throw that one straight out of court though. What a joke.
        I would've faked a heart attack or kidney stone. If that didn't work, I'd open up the emergency exit and leave. Being in the Olmstead County jail would've been better than that plane.

You have to love government, no common sense, policies...

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
          I would've faked a heart attack or kidney stone. If that didn't work, I'd open up the emergency exit and leave. Being in the Olmstead County jail would've been better than that plane.

You have to love government, no common sense, policies...
          Truth. I took a tour of the jail (if it's the same one you're thinking of) before it opened, years ago. It's nice....you know, for a jail.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Truth. I took a tour of the jail (if it's the same one you're thinking of) before it opened, years ago. It's nice....you know, for a jail.
            We'll have to send DormRat on a fact-finding expedition.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
              We'll have to send DormRat on a fact-finding expedition.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It sickens me that this is only a misdemeanor

Comment

13 year old girl kills man over milk

Comment

Bet he wish he hadn't been a dink and let her have the last of the milk for her fruit loops.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Re: Nice Planet © 2009

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                      Bet he wish he hadn't been a dink and let her have the last of the milk for her fruit loops.
                      Bet he's not wishing anything right now.

Comment

You DARE Yawn in my courtroom! 6 months in jail for you!
                        Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Teachers perceive boy to be gay, proceed to openly harrass him in the classroom

Three parts that I'm astonished with:

1. One teacher is reassigned to implement a cirriculum involving diversity and equality in the classroom. She works on the reassignment for exactly ONE day, and then CALLS IN SICK FOR THE ENTIRE REMAINDER OF THE ASSIGNMENT. A new semester starts, and she's back in her old classroom.
                          2. The superintendent says it was an "Isolated incident," despite the fact that both teachers harrassed the boy on multiple occasions. How is that isolated?
                          3. Both are still gainfully employed by the school district.

What a freakin' joke.

Comment

That's pretty pathetic.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Dude screws underage girl, fights with cops naked

Okay. Do what you wish with the first part of this story. But to take your underwear back off and then fight with the police officer after you're naked? If this idiot wasn't on drugs then I'm the King of England.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

2 Baby Skeletons Found in Impounded Car
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X