Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Genuinely Nice Planet

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Well, you did say "there's good in America". You can't just say that. The correct phrase is, "there's good in the commonwealth of all humanity".
    I suppose I'll be read my Miranda rights for posting this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/07...an-saves-flag/
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Only an azzhat would characterize my post as "injecting politics" into the thread. Why don't you take your striped shirt and whistle and blow them out your barracks bag, azzhat?

Just for the record, you pompous jerk, the media I was referring to include but are not limited to TMZ, the tabloids and other similar outlets.
      You're something else. It's a genuinely nice planet thread, so we'll leave it at that.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        You're something else. It's a genuinely nice planet thread, so we'll leave it at that.
        Why don't you climb down off the cross and explain how my post was political and not in keeping with the theme of this thread. Admittedly, saying something nice about America and Americans over the 4th of July weekend--in response to Johnny Pohlfan's post, is pretty controversial stuff. And while you're at it, why don't you reprint the memo announcing your appointment as referee in chief of what goes on around here?

Why don't we leave it like this--you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion about my post, issued some orders about what I should or shouldn't do and now you're posing as Ralph Bunche.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Why don't you climb down off the cross and explain how my post was political and not in keeping with the theme of this thread. Admittedly, saying something nice about America and Americans over the 4th of July weekend--in response to Johnny Pohlfan's post, is pretty controversial stuff. And while you're at it, why don't you reprint the memo announcing your appointment as referee in chief of what goes on around here?

Why don't we leave it like this--you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion about my post, issued some orders about what I should or shouldn't do and now you're posing as Ralph Bunche.
          Please change your tampon.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            Please change your tampon.
            Perhaps I could borrow the one between your ears, jerk.

Comment

Settle down, girls.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Perhaps I could borrow the one between your ears, jerk.
                Such a playground comeback. Maybe I should have said 'diaper'.
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.

Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Such a playground comeback. Maybe I should have said 'diaper'.
                  In fairness, you did tell him to change his tampon. Not exactly brimming with class.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Military couple join the "mechanical mile-high club."

Air Force Capt. Christine McLean pilots a refueling plane and Navy Lt. Jeff McLean flies an F/A-18 Super Hornet.

{I}it wasn't until last week, on Jeff McLean's final and 40th flight on this deployment that he rendezvoused with the air refuelers over Pakistan and was happy to see it was his wife's plane.

Though it was dark and turbulent - difficult conditions for aerial refueling - Jeff McLean said it was one of the highlights of the deployment. Fighter planes must refuel a few times on each mission over Afghanistan.

"After she gave me about 10,000 pounds of fuel, I flew right up next to her cockpit. She turned on the lights and waved, and I could see her, but it's pretty dark in my jet, so I'm not sure that she ever saw me waving . . .  We were able to fly together all the way out of country and back over the Arabian Sea at 500 knots, then I had to head back and land on the ship and she headed back to her base. As we broke apart, I lit my afterburner, which hopefully looked pretty cool in the dark. It was an absolutely perfect flight."
                    *****http://media.jsonline.com/images/mjs-refuel.jpg******
                    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      In fairness, you did tell him to change his tampon. Not exactly brimming with class.
                      Tampon implies I was dealing with an adult. I was wrong.

Comment

wow, this thread fall down go boom
                        Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

There is a whole award devoted to these sorts of acts, the Carnegie Medal for Civilian Heroism. Many awards are posthumous.

Here are this year's awardees (only the first half are quoted to avoid the word limit)

Note: Edward Jay Fillingham must be the toughest man alive.

Timothy Lucas Gibson
                          Cape Coral, Florida

Timothy Lucas Gibson saved Kerrigan Lawhorn from burning, Cape Coral, Florida, February 15, 2009. Kerrigan, 1, was in a bedroom of her family’s one-story house after fire broke out in the kitchen and filled the room with dense smoke. Across the street, Gibson, 29, air conditioning installer, was alerted to the fire. He and others responded to the front of the burning house, where entry was gained through breaking a bedroom window. Gibson climbed through the window into the bedroom, went to his hands and knees, and, despite there being no visibility in the smoke, searched the room. After returning to the window for air, he again penetrated the room and found Kerrigan at its opposite side. He pulled her to his chest, stood, and ran back to the window, where he handed her out to the others. Gibson then climbed through the window to safety. Kerrigan was hospitalized, and Gibson received hospital treatment for smoke inhalation, from which he recovered.

Edward Russell Nye
                          Mechanicsville, Virginia
                          Michael Rangus
                          Mechanicsville, Virginia

Edward Russell Nye and Michael Rangus rescued Ronald A. Hairfield, Jr., from burning, Mechanicsville, Virginia, June 13, 2009. Hairfield, 37, was the sole occupant of a pickup truck that left a rural road, turned onto its passenger side, and caught fire at its front end. The sound of the crash alerted Nye, 28, store clerk, and Rangus, 57, manager, both of whom resided nearby. They ran to the scene, where they saw Hairfield emerge through the window of the driver’s door and shout for help. Despite high and growing flames issuing from the front of the vehicle, Nye, who was wearing only shorts, and Rangus approached the pickup, grasped Hairfield by his arms, and pulled him out of the cab and to the ground. Another man joined them in taking him farther away. Hairfield was hospitalized for treatment of serious burns and other injuries and died 18 days later.

Akasha Witchey Traver
                          Lexington, Virginia

Akasha Witchey Traver rescued Willow W. Scorpius from burning, Hot Springs, Virginia, January 15, 2009. At night, Willow, 1, was in her crib in a bedroom on the first floor of her family’s house after an accidental fire broke out in that room, near the crib. Her aunt, Akasha, 14, student, and other family members discovered the fire. Akasha entered the bedroom, in which dense smoke precluded visibility of everything except the flames, and attempted to get to the crib, but she stumbled and fell. Repelled by deteriorating conditions, she left the bedroom, but she re-entered after a moment and went to the crib, which was by then aflame. Akasha took Willow from the crib and carried her outside. Flames spread throughout the structure, destroying it. Willow and Akasha were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns, and they recovered.

Gary DeWayne Vinson, Jr., deceased
                          Sylvester, Georgia

Gary DeWayne Vinson, Jr., died helping attempt to save Joshua Perry from drowning, Albany, Georgia, August 3, 2008. Joshua, 11, and his brother had entered the swift water of the Flint River while playing on the bank and were struggling against a man who then attempted to save them. In another party, Vinson, 23, business operator, responded to the scene with friends after being alerted to the incident. From the bank they first linked arms to try to aid the boys and their rescuer, and then they swam out when Joshua became separated from the man. As the man returned Joshua’s brother to the bank, Joshua struggled against Vinson’s friends, and he then struggled against Vinson and submerged him as Vinson attempted a rescue. They did not resurface. Joshua’s body was recovered from the river two hours later, and Vinson’s was recovered the following morning. Both had drowned.

Willard Van Fleet, deceased
                          Factoryville, Pennsylvania
                          Mark W. Keene, deceased
                          Dalton, Pennsylvania

Willard Van Fleet died helping to save a girl from drowning, Dalton, Pennsylvania, February 21, 2009, and Mark W. Keene died attempting to help save the girl and her mother. A 5-year-old girl went onto an ice-covered pond but broke through at a point about 15 feet from the bank and fell into 12 feet of water. Her mother's friend, Van Fleet, 36, general laborer, immediately went onto the ice for her and then jumped into the water. He held the girl up while his stepfather, Keene, 55, builder, who was present, left to summon help. The girl's mother went onto the ice for her, but she too broke through and, unable to extricate herself, held to the edge of the ice. Van Fleet swam to her and handed the girl over to her before submerging. Keene, meanwhile, despite having a history of significant heart disease, returned to the pond from his nearby home with an extension ladder, which he placed on the ice within reach of the girl’s mother. She did not have the strength to grasp it. As a responding firefighter then removed both the girl and her mother from the open water to safety, Keene suffered a fatal heart attack and collapsed to the ice. The girl and her mother were taken to a hospital for treatment of hypothermia, from which they recovered. Van Fleet was removed from the pond by divers about three hours later. He had drowned.

Edward Jay Fillingham
                          Henderson, New York

Edward Jay Fillingham saved Amanda L. Roberts, Kiefer S. Hockey, and Douglas Daury from drowning, Henderson, New York, April 17, 2009. The paddleboat that Roberts, 22; Hockey, 17; and Daury, 27, were operating overturned in Henderson Bay of Lake Ontario in water about 20 feet deep at a point about 1,500 feet from shore. They shouted for help as they struggled in the 41-degree water. At his home on the shore in that vicinity, Fillingham, 75, retired mason, witnessed the accident. He assembled a paddle and life jackets and then, despite suffering from Parkinson’s Disease, which compromised his swimming ability, launched a 12-foot aluminum canoe and rowed through choppy water out to the victims. They grasped the sides of the canoe as Fillingham retraced his course to shore, towing them. The victims left wadable water and were taken into Fillingham’s home, where they warmed.

Jared J. Champayne
                          Chicago, Illinois
                          Jeremy S. Cobb
                          Muskegon, Michigan

Jared J. Champayne and Jeremy S. Cobb saved Catherine A. Hamlin from drowning, Muskegon, Michigan, August 3, 2009. Hamlin, 41, was wading in Lake Michigan when she was pulled away from shore by a very strong current. Struggling to return to the beach but making no progress against the current and five-foot waves breaking over her, she shouted for help. Friends Champayne, 23, and Cobb, 27, were swimming closer to shore in that vicinity and heard Hamlin call out for help. They swam to her, Champayne reaching her first at a point about 200 feet from shore. He grasped Hamlin by an arm and supported her until Cobb arrived soon and grasped her other arm. The men struggled against the current and waves in their efforts to reach shore, Cobb submerging to push Hamlin from behind in their attempts. Once able to touch the lake bottom, Champayne and Cobb walked Hamlin to the beach, where she collapsed. Hamlin and her rescuers were tired and winded, but they recovered.

Chad J. Tolstedt
                          Monroe, Michigan
                          Paul M. Marks
                          Monroe, Michigan

Chad J. Tolstedt and Paul M. Marks saved Timothy D. Kundrat from burning, Monroe, Michigan, June 30, 2009. Kundrat, 54, was in the living room on the first floor of his two-story apartment after fire broke out in that room at night. Tolstedt, 33, police officer, was dispatched to the scene, where he learned that Kundrat was inside the unit. He kicked open the front door, entered, and, hearing Kundrat, started to crawl through a smoke-filled hall that extended 15 feet to the living room. Standing to advance, Tolstedt took in too much smoke and had to retreat to the front door for air. He re-entered the apartment, walking crouched over, and struggled against the smoke and intense heat to reach the living room. Another responding officer, Marks, 32, entered the apartment at about that time and, yelling to Tolstedt, also made his way, crawling, through the hall to the living room, where he joined Tolstedt at Kundrat. Each grasping Kundrat by a hand, the officers dragged him to the front door and outside to safety. Kundrat was taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries. Tolstedt recovered from inhaling smoke.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Here is the second half:

Larry Brian Jordan
                            Poland, Maine

Larry Brian Jordan helped to save Robert G. Evans, Jr., from burning, Poland, Maine, May 20, 2009. Evans, 38, was the driver of a pickup truck that in an accident left the roadway and overturned in a ditch. The truck came to rest on its driver’s side, its roof against the slope of the ditch, and flames broke out on its exposed underside. Evans remained conscious but was trapped in the vehicle. Jordan, 48, production operator, drove upon the scene, finding other men fighting the flames with fire extinguishers and attempting to open the passenger door, which was jammed shut. He mounted the passenger side of the truck for better access and, using a pry bar, popped open the passenger door. Jordan then went to the ground and opened the door farther. He reached inside the truck, grasped Evans by the arms, and pulled him from the vehicle with the help of one of the other men. Evans was able to walk away from the vehicle, most of which became engulfed by flames. He was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries, from which he recovered.

Keith E. Melton
                            Troy, Illinois
                            Terry L. Bullard
                            Worden, Illinois

Keith E. Melton attempted to rescue Frederick H. Winters from assault and with Terry L. Bullard helped to save an indeterminate number of other persons, Maryville, Illinois, March 8, 2009. During a morning service being attended by about 100, Winters, 45, was preaching in the church where he was pastor when a man entered the sanctuary, proceeded down the center aisle, and stood in front of him. The man produced a semiautomatic pistol and shot at Winters but missed. As Winters moved along the platform, the assailant pursued him, firing twice more. Melton, 51, programmer analyst who was in the congregation, left his seat and ran to Winters and the assailant, who were struggling on the sanctuary floor. He reached them as the assailant fired again, striking Winters and mortally wounding him. Melton grasped the assailant and struggled against him, the assailant producing a knife that he used to stab Melton in the chest. Melton was sent to the floor but regained his footing and charged the assailant, as did another congregant, Bullard, 39, repair shop manager. Blocking the assailant’s path, Bullard grasped him about the shoulders to take him to the floor and was stabbed repeatedly in an ensuing struggle. Melton, Bullard, and other congregants subdued the assailant until police arrived and arrested him. Melton and Bullard received hospital treatment for their stab wounds, Bullard requiring surgery for a chest wound and physical rehabilitation. They recovered.

Alexander G. Glass
                            Newport, North Carolina

Alexander G. Glass saved Karrissa N. and SuAnna L. Willis from drowning, Cape Lookout, North Carolina, May 25, 2009. Sisters Karrissa, 18, and SuAnna, 23, struggled to stay afloat in the Atlantic Ocean after a strong current took them out from the beach and thwarted their efforts at returning. On shore, their mother screamed for help, attracting the attention of Glass, 33, teacher, who was in another party in the vicinity. Glass waded and swam about 250 feet out to SuAnna, who then directed him to Karrissa. Glass swam about 50 feet farther out to Karrissa, established a rescue hold on her, and swam back to SuAnna. SuAnna held to Karrissa as Glass, outweighed by the women, towed them toward shore. En route coming upon a submerged sandbar, they stood in wadable water to rest. Glass then resumed towing the women toward shore, where they were aided to the beach from wadable water. The women were taken to the hospital, where SuAnna was detained overnight. They recovered. Glass was fatigued, and he too recovered.

Branden L. Bonge
                            Valley Mills, Texas
                            Cody L. Clemmons
                            Crawford, Texas

Branden L. Bonge saved Mallery and Megan Smith from burning, and Cody L. Clemmons helped to rescue Lisa K. Bowdoin, Waco, Texas, March 25, 2009. Sisters Mallery, 10, and Megan, 9, were passengers in a sport utility vehicle driven by Bowdoin, 34. In a two-vehicle highway accident, the sport utility vehicle left the roadway, overturned onto its roof, and started to burn at its front end. Bonge, 28, general manager, drove upon the scene and responded to the passenger side of the vehicle. Despite flames entering its front interior, he kicked out a window and, partially entering it head first, pulled Mallery out. After taking her to safety, Bonge returned and crawled inside again, farther, to grasp Megan, who was unconscious. He removed her from the vehicle. Clemmons, 44, business operator, also drove upon the scene and stopped. Informed that Bowdoin was trapped by her safety belt, Clemmons obtained a knife, partially entered the vehicle through a window on its passenger side, and gave the knife to Bowdoin, who freed herself of the belt. Despite a rush of flames then occurring at the vehicle, Clemmons grasped Bowdoin, who outweighed him, by the hands and pulled her out, others then helping to take her to safety. Flames grew to engulf the vehicle shortly, and they spread to the other vehicle, nearby, that was involved in the accident. Mallery and Megan required hospital treatment for their injuries, as did Bowdoin, whose injuries included burns. Bonge and Clemmons also received hospital treatment, for minor injury.

Nickolas J. Edwards
                            Salem, Oregon

Nickolas J. Edwards saved Destiny E. Edwards from burning, Salem, Oregon, October 17, 2009. Destiny, 21, was the driver of an automobile that, at night, left the roadway, overturned, and came to rest on its driver’s side. Flames broke out in the car’s engine area. Unable to exit the vehicle, Destiny screamed for help. Driving on the same road, Nickolas, 19, high school student, came upon the scene. He approached the car and attempted to gain access to it through its passenger door but was unsuccessful. Despite growing flames at the front end of the car, Nickolas went to the windshield and kicked it repeatedly, creating a small hole. He pulled at the windshield to enlarge the hole and then extended his arms inside the vehicle and grasped Destiny. He pulled her from the vehicle, and they ran to safety. Flames grew and spread to engulf much of the car. Destiny required hospital treatment for her injuries, and Nickolas was treated at the scene for minor cuts to his hands. He recovered.

Cameron T. Andersen
                            Mill Valley, California
                            Gregory R. Thomson
                            Corte Madera, California

Cameron T. Andersen and Gregory R. Thomson helped to save a girl from drowning, Stinson Beach, California, May 16, 2009. While swimming in the Pacific Ocean, a 16-year-old girl was pulled seaward by a very strong current and was unable to return against it. On the beach, Andersen, 23, laborer, became aware of her situation. He removed his outer attire and waded and swam out to the girl, allowing another man who had swum out to her to return to the beach. Andersen positioned his body beneath the girl, who was nearly exhausted, to keep her afloat. They were joined shortly by Thomson, 50, tutor, who also swam out from the beach on being alerted to the girl’s needing help. The two men attempted to swim back to shore with the girl, but they made no progress against the current. Supporting her, they were carried farther seaward as they awaited help. After several minutes, two lifeguards, one with a paddleboard, reached them. Andersen and Thomson helped place the girl on the paddleboard, and she was returned to the beach by one of the lifeguards. The other lifeguard remained with the men as they swam back to shore, resting en route with the aid of the lifeguard’s flotation device. The girl required overnight hospital treatment, and she recovered. Andersen and Thomson were cold and tired, and they too recovered.

Donald Arthur Morrison
                            Dutch Valley, New Brunswick

Donald Arthur Morrison rescued a woman from burning, Norman Wells, Northwest Territories, May 24, 2008. A 27-year-old woman was the pilot of a helicopter that was transporting Morrison, 43, diamond driller, and a coworker to a work site in a remote area. As the helicopter was descending to land, a mechanical failure sent it out of control. It dropped 75 feet to the ground, crash landing on its left side. The craft’s fuel tank was punctured, and flames erupted immediately and grew quickly, entering the cabin. Morrison unfastened his safety belt, kicked out a section of the windshield, and stepped from the helicopter. Although severely bruised in the crash, he then turned and reached back into the cabin. He grasped the pilot by her jacket, pulled her from the helicopter, and dragged her away. Rapidly advancing flames that consumed the cabin precluded his attempt to rescue the other passenger, who died at the scene. Evacuated by helicopter, the pilot required hospitalization for fractures and minor burns to her back, and Morrison was treated at the hospital for contusions and abrasions. He recovered.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

And the last person:

Donald George Gough
                              Summerland, British Columbia

Donald George Gough helped to save Gordon R. Kingston from drowning, Manning Park, British Columbia, May 23, 2007. Kingston, 83, remained in the driver’s seat of his car after it left the highway, went down an embankment and entered the Similkameen River, and, overturning, was swept downstream by the very swift current. Its windows broken out, the car righted itself, facing upstream, at a point about 35 feet from the bank in water about four feet deep. Kingston, who was a nonswimmer, climbed partially out of the car through the window of its driver’s door and sat on the window ledge with his legs inside the vehicle. Motorists who stopped at the scene included Gough, 60, environmental monitor contractor. As no rescue aids were then available, Gough left the scene and obtained lengths of fire hose. Returning, he tied one end of the hose around his waist and, still wearing his boots, entered the river as men on the bank held the other end. Gough walked upstream and then started to approach the car, but the current overtook him. He swam to the car and mounted it and then lowered himself into the water next to the driver’s door. Gough removed the hose from around his waist, tied it around Kingston, and then pulled Kingston from the car and released him. The men on the bank pulled Kingston to the edge of the river. Untethered, Gough swam from the car, the current taking him farther downstream as he made his way to the bank. Kingston was moved up the embankment to the highway and then taken to the hospital, where he was admitted for treatment of hypothermia and lacerations. He recovered. Gough was cold and tired but fully recovered within a few hours.
                              82257-9353
                              Cornell University

Comment

Tampon implies I was dealing with an adult. I was wrong.
                                Ah yes, because tampon was the adult route to take. "Hey look everyone, I can call names and imply someone is a female which obviously means he's inferior to me, a man. And because I say so, I'm an adult and he's not."

Perhaps the adult method would have been, oh I don't know, IGNORE HIM if you don't like what he's saying?

Look in the mirror before you start casting stones.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X