X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Genuinely Nice Planet

http://ask.metafilter.com/154334/Hel...y-friend-in-DC

http://metatalk.metafilter.com/19304...s-of-strangers

Just saw it and I'm passing it along... for all the white knights out there... occasionally one is able to save the day.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that. He did look truly surprised. I've been regretting that post, I'm the guy who cries at movies, and the national anthem at the Olympics. Who do I ask for a plenary dispensation?
      Dude, I'm the exact same way. I always get a lump in my throat for standing ovations. It doesn't matter who it is, or the occasion. I always find those to be the most awesome experiences.
      MICHIGAN STATE
      1966:1986:2007

Comment

Found a trailer for "The Long Green Line," check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Cf6nsG7YU
        Last edited by Old Pio; 05-22-2010, 03:27 AM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          The human race redeems itself
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I was running through my regular Copenhagen news streams when I ran across this story. Thought you guys would enjoy it. Turns out the event on the bus was part marketing for transportation, and part good will.

Link should be in english--my apologize if it goes to the Danish version.

http://jp.dk/uknews/article2075504.ece
            MICHIGAN STATE
            1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
              I was running through my regular Copenhagen news streams when I ran across this story. Thought you guys would enjoy it. Turns out the event on the bus was part marketing for transportation, and part good will.

Really nice and the fact that a lot of people were in on it doesn't diminish from the impact on the driver one bit. Hats off to our Danish friends.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post

There's a video of it at the top of the thread. Very cool.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Mayor Daley will hate this story:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...-resident.html

But everyone else in Chicago will want to take the old guy out for a beer.

Comment

Another subway hero
                    Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
                    I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5218228
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

My parents live on a lake in central MN. Every 4th of July, lots of people on the lake decorate their pontoons/boats in red, white and blue, and have a water parade, following the shoreline around the entire lake. This year, we were about halfway around the lake, having fun, drinking a bit, listening to Lee Greenwood, and waving at the people on the shore watching us in the parade. We come up to this tiny cabin and here comes an old (I'm assuming retired) military guy, dressed in his fatigues, and he proceeds to march down to the end of his dock. We are all holding little flags, and we see him so we stand up and cheer and wave at him. He doesn't wave back, but stands on the end of the dock, snaps his heels together, and formally salutes our flags as we drive by.
                        Its hard to put the picture into words on here, but suffice it to say we had a pontoon full of people with tears in their eyes after that. What a perfect summation of what that holiday is truly about. Here was this veteran (no one we talked to from the neighborhood knew who he was) who had obviously heard about the parade, and he was going to participate in the way he most saw fit.
                        Whoever you are, Sir: Thank you for your service and for teaching a boat full of civilians what its really all about.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
                          My parents live on a lake in central MN. Every 4th of July, lots of people on the lake decorate their pontoons/boats in red, white and blue, and have a water parade, following the shoreline around the entire lake. This year, we were about halfway around the lake, having fun, drinking a bit, listening to Lee Greenwood, and waving at the people on the shore watching us in the parade. We come up to this tiny cabin and here comes an old (I'm assuming retired) military guy, dressed in his fatigues, and he proceeds to march down to the end of his dock. We are all holding little flags, and we see him so we stand up and cheer and wave at him. He doesn't wave back, but stands on the end of the dock, snaps his heels together, and formally salutes our flags as we drive by.
                          Its hard to put the picture into words on here, but suffice it to say we had a pontoon full of people with tears in their eyes after that. What a perfect summation of what that holiday is truly about. Here was this veteran (no one we talked to from the neighborhood knew who he was) who had obviously heard about the parade, and he was going to participate in the way he most saw fit.
                          Whoever you are, Sir: Thank you for your service and for teaching a boat full of civilians what its really all about.
                          Despite the sensationalism, over generalization and appeals to prejudice in our media, there is an unlimited amount of good in America and Americans. Occasionally we need to remind ourselves of this indisputable fact.

Comment

That's twice you've tried to inject politics in. Just let it rest and enjoy the thread.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              That's twice you've tried to inject politics in. Just let it rest and enjoy the thread.
                              Only an azzhat would characterize my post as "injecting politics" into the thread. Why don't you take your striped shirt and whistle and blow them out your barracks bag, azzhat?

Just for the record, you pompous jerk, the media I was referring to include but are not limited to TMZ, the tabloids and other similar outlets.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                Only an azzhat would characterize my post as "injecting politics" into the thread.
                                Well, you did say "there's good in America". You can't just say that. The correct phrase is, "there's good in the commonwealth of all humanity".
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X