• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genuinely Nice Planet

This.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Re: Genuinely Nice Planet

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Didn't understand a word, but no human being would need to.
    Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      Awesome.
      This.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        Awesome.
        This x1,000.

Loved the "protest"
        Originally posted by solovsfett
        To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

I love Denmark. I've been there many times. It is considered the happiest country on earth. The people there are as genuine in day to day activities as they appeared in this video. I only understood about half the words, but that was still really cool.
          MICHIGAN STATE
          1966:1986:2007

Comment

It sure looked like a real warm fuzzy. However, I hate to be the one to point out multiple cameras/angles. And apparantly the "protest" was formed in the middle of the street with no traffic and no interferance from police, just in time for our honoree to come rolling up an empty street. My second instinct was to wonder if this deal was about as spontaneous as some reality TV segments. It struck me as a little too "spontaneous." Of course, it could be that a reality TV show helped set it all up, which would explain the polished nature of the production.

I surely hope I'm wrong because my first instinct was to feel just like everyone else.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 05-19-2010, 07:23 PM.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
              It sure looked like a genuine, warm fuzzy. However, I hate to be the one to point out multiple cameras/angles. And apparantly the "protest" was formed in the middle of the street with no traffic and no interferance from police, just in time for our honoree to come rolling up an empty street. My second instinct was to wonder if this deal was about as spontaneous as some reality TV segments. It struck me as a little too "spontaneous." Of course, it could be that a reality TV show helped set it all up, which would explain the polished nature of the production.

I surely hope I'm wrong because my first instinct was to feel just like everyone else.
              These things are never spontaneous. However it is possible the people with the exception of the driver were in on it.
              MICHIGAN STATE
              1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                These things are never spontaneous. However it is possible the people with the exception of the driver were in on it.
                Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that. He did look truly surprised. I've been regretting that post, I'm the guy who cries at movies, and the national anthem at the Olympics. Who do I ask for a plenary dispensation?

Comment

Could have been that people (not regular passengers, but people the regular passenger contacted) told him that they were filming some sort of news report or commercial or something. He looked truly blown away by it.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

That was sweet, thanks for posting.
                    Orginally Posted by Sloe Gin - Legal is the Queen of the board.

Race Diva and "Ruler of the South"

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1
                    I must say that I was impressed by the amount of alcohol she coud handle.

Originally posted by Markt
                    That almost lifts the sadness of realizing just how far out of my league Legal is. Almost.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      It sure looked like a real warm fuzzy. However, I hate to be the one to point out multiple cameras/angles. And apparantly the "protest" was formed in the middle of the street with no traffic and no interferance from police, just in time for our honoree to come rolling up an empty street. My second instinct was to wonder if this deal was about as spontaneous as some reality TV segments. It struck me as a little too "spontaneous." Of course, it could be that a reality TV show helped set it all up, which would explain the polished nature of the production.

As to the "just in time" angle, it is a bus; they run on a set schedule. It wouldn't take that much effort to know about when the bus was coming through.
                      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                      -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                        As to the "just in time" angle, it is a bus; they run on a set schedule. It wouldn't take that much effort to know about when the bus was coming through.
                        Maybe. I've come to the conclusion that the driver was genuinely surprised and touched. But all of the organization and production values involved had to derive from some serious planning and help from professionals. It couldn't have happened any other way, IMHO. BTW, that doesn't mean the episode was a phony and certainly doesn't diminish the thoughtfulness of his passengers.

Comment

Let me try to recover from my initial skepticism about the bus driver by offering another example of a genuinely nice planet. Let me recommend to you a little movie called "The Long Green Line." I found it on Hulu. It's about the cross country team at York HS in suburban chicago and its amazing coach Joe Newton. Joe has coached York for over 50 years and has won 26 state championships, been runner up 12 more times and 22 national championships.

He gets over 200 kids to come out for XC every year, a number which would cause the average coach to wonder where he's gonna get 175 new warmups. About 1/10 of the total student population comes out for his team, more than show up for football. And if you know how XC is scored (only the top seven runners can get any points) you realize the vast majority of those kids will not figure in the results of any meet and are doing the hard work because of Joe and the atmosphere he creates.

Full revelation here--I managed the cross country team of a school that competed against Joe and he was respectful and friendly on the occasions we met. The guy made a big impression on me nearly 50 years ago.

He makes a point of talking to each of those 200 plus kids every day, gives each one of 'em a nickname. And he treats the 200th kid the same way he treats his state champions. As he says, he's built this team from the bottom up.

We're sports fans or we wouldn't be posting here. And I understand XC is a backwater of sport. But believe me when I say "The Long Green Line" will give you a lift and make you remember all of those coaches and teachers who made an impression on you in your youth. It's just that Joe has achieved a level of success unparalleled in his sport, or any other for that matter.

Trust me. Set aside a little time and watch this film. If you like sports, I believe you'll like this film. And I'm offering a double your money back guarantee.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out.
                              It will be worth your while, I guarantee it. Over 200 kids out for cross country! That's unbelievable notwithstanding all the championships.

Comment

Working...
                              X