X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    There are a whole lot of assumptions built into what you've just said there though. I hesitate to discuss in detail because I'll get the usual assortment of folks climbing all over me. For example, you cite certain things that give rise to faiths. Suffice it to say, for example, Christianity didn't come into place because of aims like keeping kids safe or your tribe in ascendency. Life and existence and what we do are given purpose within God's created order and his plan for relationship with man. Very different than how Carl Sagan saw things. Now, on the surface they might seem to result in similar behaviors at times, but the underlying belief system and purpose for what is done are radically different.
    I'd love discussing the metaphysical and ethical aspects in depth but, as you said, not here.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      But not honestly.
      Makes me sad to see you say things like this.
      But such is the way many think these days.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Makes me sad to see you say things like this.
        But such is the way many think these days.
        Boo hoo. Let me get you a kleenex. You don't want gay marriage because it's written in a book of fairy tales that it's a sin. This is the same book of fairy tales that tells you not to eat shellfish, owning slaves is A-OK and working on Sunday will earn you a rock upside the head. It also has people than had hundreds of wives...how does that jive with the "one man, one woman" slogan?

Use whatever language you want to justify it. At the end of the day that is your argument. "Metaphysical and ethical aspects" aren't part of the equation.

Comment

Boo hoo. Let me get you a kleenex. You don't want gay marriage because it's written in a book of fairy tales that it's a sin. This is the same book of fairy tales that tells you not to eat shellfish, owning slaves is A-OK and working on Sunday will earn you a rock upside the head. It also has people than had hundreds of wives...how does that jive with the "one man, one woman" slogan?

Use whatever language you want to justify it. At the end of the day that is your argument. "Metaphysical and ethical aspects" aren't part of the equation.
          Sad. No two ways about it.
          Have a good weekend.
          Very well, said.
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Discuss whatever you want. At the end of this debate this statement sums up your side of the argument.
            Frankly I don't give a **** about gay marriage one way or the other - there are far more important issues of immediate importance.

But you really are being an *** on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              And this is a surprise to anyone?

Comment

I don't get the comment about going with your morals by screwing your political beliefs. For me the two go hand in hand.
                The problem is when some (not you) insist on applying relgious beliefs in place of moral beleifs when it comes to implementing govermental policy. One may morally oppose abortion, but the loudest advocates ignore morality and insist on applying God to the conversation which utterly destroys civil discourse on the matter.

Comment

Frankly I don't give a **** about gay marriage one way or the other - there are far more important issues of immediate importance.

Did I miss something? Priceless just made a claim about Bob's posting habits...in a civil manner. To me that's ok...if anything ask Priceless to prove it. Its much more immature to make personal shots...ie call someone brain damaged or a communist.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  The problem is when some (not you) insist on applying relgious beliefs in place of moral beleifs when it comes to implementing govermental policy. One may morally oppose abortion, but the loudest advocates ignore morality and insist on applying God to the conversation which utterly destroys civil discourse on the matter.
                  Don't know if your refering to me but...

Isn't behaving in the footsteps of God in the old testament or Jesus in the new...the same as having that morality? Basically what much of religion is based on...is a system of morality. And while old testament seems pretty reactionary by societal standards...IMO new testament morality is the direction society has been heading since the bible hit the hands of the people 400 years ago.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

If calling out bigotry makes me an ass then so be it.

Comment

If calling out bigotry makes me an ass then so be it.
                      That's not what makes you an ass. It does create a clever little workaround.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2010, 01:14 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

*****http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/fishing3.gif******
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Bingo!
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Judiciary committee votes 13-6 today in favor of Kagan. 12 Dems + Lindsey Graham.

Comment

Snowe falls.

So to nobody's surprised, Kagan's a done dealio.

Presumably Ginsberg will be next (by age and bad health). Perhaps she'll be the third annual Feb/Mar announcement.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

So if you're a religious person you are supposed to develop a separate set of morals that have no basis in your religious beliefs? That just doesn't make a lick of sense. Morals don't just come in the mail and you install them like a software program. If you are non-religious, then I can understand of course you'd look elsewhere for your basis for your morals, but if you are religious, I just don't get how your religious beliefs can't impact, very likely heavily, your morals.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X