X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    Holy crap. Covington & Burling doesn't lose very often.
    It's only losing if you don't get paid.

Does this decision undermine MLB's status?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      It's only losing if you don't get paid.

True, but they're pretty tight with the NFL (have been ever since they gave Tagliabue to the NFL and maybe before). I'm sure they're not happy about it.

I'm also not sure how harmful the decision really is. I'm skeptical, but we'll see...
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. Honestly, I hope it doesn't. This is 100% SWAG at this point, but it probably has something to do with the CBA.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No. It probably should have, since the original exemption was based on an interpretation that hasn't been seen since the Great Depression, but it didn't. SCOTUS has said repeatedly they won't do it, either. It'll be up to Congress to remove it at this point.
          Last edited by unofan; 05-25-2010, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I was wondering the same thing. Honestly, I hope it doesn't. This is 100% SWAG at this point, but it probably has something to do with the CBA.
            The NFLPA is saying the decision will influence future labor agreements, while the NFL doesn't see it extending that far. As a practical matter, I think the NFL is probably closer to the truth at this point. And the anti-trust matter still has to go back for trial, so "it ain't over til it's over!".
            "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Sessions gives us some of that Olde Tyme Religion.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Good news! The SCOTUS has sided with the rich and powerful again. It was touch and go for awhile, but in the end, wealth won out.
                Phew

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Good news! The SCOTUS has sided with the rich and powerful again. It was touch and go for awhile, but in the end, wealth won out.
                  Phew
                  You think someone could go ahead and pull a Jack Ruby on him when he walks out of prison grinning like an idiot?
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Phew
                    9-nil.
                    Cornell University

Comment

The vote to get rid of the law entirely failed 6-3. Want to guess which three?

Comment

So next Monday is the last day to release decisions. The Chicago gun case should be decided, along with a couple other big ones.

Comment

Phew
                          Come on...what did Enron do that was so bad?
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Call me crazy, but when you can get scalia/thomas AND ruth bader ginsburg to agree on something, there must be something behind it.

I'm not saying it's the right decision or the wrong one since I haven't really read the law or the opinions. I'm just saying that when both of those camps agree on something, it's worth a look beyond face value.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Call me crazy, but when you can get scalia/thomas AND ruth bader ginsburg to agree on something, there must be something behind it.

I'm not saying it's the right decision or the wrong one since I haven't really read the law or the opinions. I'm just saying that when both of those camps agree on something, it's worth a look beyond face value.
                              Considering Ginsberg authored the decision and limited "honest services" to fraud and kickback issues, I would agree with your assessment. There are ton of white collar statutes in Title 18, and the honest services statute was bastardized by lazy DOJ careerists and political hacks. If you want to prosecute someone for wire fraud, securities violations or insider trading use the appropriate statutes you lazy ****s.
                              "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

As expected, the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of McDonald in McDonald v. Chicago.
                                Last edited by WeWantMore; 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X