Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If it harms no one, do it.
    Protect the weak from the strong.

Think these would work?
    Nope. Someone will always think of some excuse

Comment

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
      I don't doubt that to a certain extent. I also don't doubt that they'd be appalled that the federal government has grown to the size it has, wields as much power as it does and has amassed as much debt as it has.
      True, but they would also be appalled by a lot of Modernity. They'd hate the universal franchise: they would wonder how on earth we can expose the future of the nation to the mere whim and opinion of people who don't own an acre or a barn owl. And before the conservatives get too self-congratulatory, they'd hate capitalism. They felt the nation was a balanced organism that had natural boundaries -- in the same way that government should be delimited, so should business. Even a proto-industrial financier like Hamilton would hate that the only God left in America is the almighty dollar. Finally and most tellingly, consumerism would leave them more disgusted than the most radical modern environmentalist.

If you were born after 1900 the odds are very good that the Founders would not understand most of your values, and those they did understand they would loath.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Interesting, there is a lawsuit pending against Obama's so-called "recess" appointments to the NLRB (when the Senate technically was not in recess), and over 40 Senators have joined the suit by filing an amicus brief.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1432468.html
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Interesting, there is a lawsuit pending against Obama's so-called "recess" appointments to the NLRB (when the Senate technically was not in recess), and over 40 Senators have joined the suit by filing an amicus brief.

Sure. That's a reflection of how screwed up Washington is. They pass a law then the party that's ticked about it passing refuses too allow an appointment to the position that needs to be filled to run the agency, basically neutering the law.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

"Interesting" is the new "troubling"

Comment

I predict the suit goes no where. I think it was Truman who made recess appointments in the split second the Congress was adjourned. This is less egregious than that.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                I predict the suit goes no where. I think it was Truman who made recess appointments in the split second the Congress was adjourned. This is less egregious than that.
                Perhaps, perhaps not....that was secondary, the primary item of interest was that it was not the Senators who filed the suit, they merely filed an amicus brief to the original suit, which was from a private business who was adversely affected by the ruling that only was possible because of the supposedly unconstitutional appointments. Not sure that the Senators themselves would have had "standing" to file any suit on their own. There have been a surprising number of 9 - 0 rulings this year, primarily because of cut-and-dried procedural issues. It is my understanding that technically Congress was not adjourned.....most recess appointments happen when most Reps and Sens are out of town, and these particular appointments were made while most of them were still in DC. We'll see....if you give me odds, I'll probably take the bet....my $5 to your $12.50? and the vote is at least 6 - 3?

It's funny, one side always says it's the obstructionist Senate, while the other side always says it's the stubbornness of the President for not choosing a mutually-acceptable candidate. After all, Roberts and Alito received Democratic votes to confirm, and Sotomayor got Republican votes to confirm as well. Heck, Scalia was confirmed 97-0.

Even something "less egregious" than an unconstitutional appointment may still be unconstitutional in its own merits; one does not generally offer up as a defense, "well, maybe I did assault someone, but at least I didn't kill hiim." or pick a less extreme analogy if you want.
                Last edited by FreshFish; 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  "Interesting" is the new "troubling"
                  "Interesting" means "I'm telegraphing a talking point about my side." "Troubling" means "I'm telegraphing a talking point about the other side." Both words mean "I'm going to hide my personal opinion behind a fake objectivity." See also "Some suggest..."

Just translate "interesting" to "Me like" and "troubling" to "Me no like."
                  Last edited by Kepler; 04-17-2012, 08:13 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There have been a surprising number of 9 - 0 rulings this year...
                    Really? By what standard is it surprising?

In 2009, nearly half the decisions the court made were 9-0. Likewise 05-06. Here's the stats from October 2010. 48% 9-0, with 13% 8-1.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                      Really? By what standard is it surprising?

In 2009, nearly half the decisions the court made were 9-0. Likewise 05-06. Here's the stats from October 2010. 48% 9-0, with 13% 8-1.
                      Does that take into account concurring opinions?
                      Cornell University

Comment

In more important SCOTUS news, search on "hitting."
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          "Interesting" means "I'm telegraphing a talking point about my side." "Troubling" means "I'm telegraphing a talking point about the other side." Both words mean "I'm going to hide my personal opinion behind a fake objectivity." See also "Some suggest..."

My someone is testy. Did I forget to genuflect properly?

Comment

Even something "less egregious" than an unconstitutional appointment may still be unconstitutional in its own merits; one does not generally offer up as a defense, "well, maybe I did assault someone, but at least I didn't kill hiim." or pick a less extreme analogy if you want.
                            No, but one often offers up "John Doe did Y and received no penalty. I did Y or something less than Y, so I should also receive no penalty." Call it what you will, stare decisis, legal precedent, common law, judicial restraint - there's all sorts of reasons not to expect anything different than before.

This is especially so when it comes to political questions. SCOTUS rarely if ever gets involved in questions of pure politics, which this surely is. If it didn't strike it down 50 years ago, it isn't going to now, either.
                            Last edited by unofan; 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Does that take into account concurring opinions?
                              No, because concurrances, like dissents, really don't mean anything when it comes down to it unless it's the rare 4-1-4 split.

Comment

That's an *ahem* interesting take on this.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X