X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Now that's an image I didn't need!!!
    I didn't mean to offend your appreciation of a bearded Hillary. She'd certainly be free to shave, or not. But, I was trying to be bipartisan!
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

The ratio of people who brainlessly hate Obama to those who brainlessly follow Obama is about a million to one.

Most people I know were nervous about someone so untested assuming office, and yet were willing to give him a chance, especially based upon his insprirational rhetoric. I certainly hoped he'd at least live up to about 25% of it.

I don't think there are very many people who "brainlessly hate" Obama, outside of extremist political blogs. Anyone with eyes and ears can see the disconnect between Obama's rhetoric and Obama's actions.

and the word "hate" is a bit pejorative...."distrust" is more like it. When a person so frequently says one thing while doing another, how would you expect a rational person to respond?

Also, I don't see many people "follow" Obama as much as "grudgingly tolerate" him.

I have nothing against the man personally, I simply would prefer him on the golf course instead of in the White House. Let him take his pension and write a few more books, I don't begrudge him that. However, his failure to stand by the Iranian people during the "Green Revolution" and his failure to support the Syrian rebels in my eyes makes him untrustworthy in protecting long-term US interests overseas; and his tendency to tear down everyone who dares question him and to whine when he doesn't get his way....

Tip O'Neil was a far more formidable partisan warrior than John Boehner, yet O'Neil was co-opted into collaborating with Reagan (Dems controlled both Houses of Congress in 1982 when the first Reagan tax cut was passed; while Dems controlled both Houses of Congress in 2010 yet Obama still couldn't get the "tax the rich" passed!).
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

That hindsight must be really handy, given that at the time, everyone on both sides of the aisle pretty much agreed that US options in Iran were limited since we were hoping the undecided majority in the country and the Iranian regular army would come down on the side of the revolutionaries and American support would kill that hope.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Most people I know were nervous about someone so untested assuming office, and yet were willing to give him a chance, especially based upon his insprirational rhetoric. I certainly hoped he'd at least live up to about 25% of it.

I don't think there are very many people who "brainlessly hate" Obama, outside of extremist political blogs. Anyone with eyes and ears can see the disconnect between Obama's rhetoric and Obama's actions.

and the word "hate" is a bit pejorative...."distrust" is more like it. When a person so frequently says one thing while doing another, how would you expect a rational person to respond?

Also, I don't see many people "follow" Obama as much as "grudgingly tolerate" him.

I have nothing against the man personally, I simply would prefer him on the golf course instead of in the White House. Let him take his pension and write a few more books, I don't begrudge him that. However, his failure to stand by the Iranian people during the "Green Revolution" and his failure to support the Syrian rebels in my eyes makes him untrustworthy in protecting long-term US interests overseas; and his tendency to tear down everyone who dares question him and to whine when he doesn't get his way....

Tip O'Neil was a far more formidable partisan warrior than John Boehner, yet O'Neil was co-opted into collaborating with Reagan (Dems controlled both Houses of Congress in 1982 when the first Reagan tax cut was passed; while Dems controlled both Houses of Congress in 2010 yet Obama still couldn't get the "tax the rich" passed!).
          I am exposed to more people who hate the Prez mindlessly than those who have the ability to articulate what exactly they hate other than the idea of him. It is so frustrating to try to understand someone's objection to a proposal and watch their eyes glaze over the minute it is mentioned which party it comes from followed by a spouting of how horrible it is with no real reason.

I don't think he has lived up to what he could of but I also don't think the expectations that people have are reasonable in the slightest. The far right folk seem to think he has singlehandly managed to destroy the US as they would like to have seen it and the far left find him completely ineffectual at accomplishing anything. I sometimes wonder if he were not a black man would the judgement would be the same or if he was so good at stirring people up to dream of change that they forgot to be the slightest bit pragmatic. I don't think he as been particularly effective but I also don't ever remember expectations being so foolishly high. I don't care what he said. How could anyone believe, in the climate of the time, that he was going to accomplish much of anything? Did they think the Dems were going to have a sudden Epiphany and work as a group (heh) or that the GOP would even attempt to work with him?

It continues to fascinate me that any president gets the blame for everything (or the credit) when they have a few hundred people on the Hill in who are determined to go in as many directions as possible but none of them in the general direction of progress. It also amazes me that people can be so entrenched in what they think a person is that they are totally able to see anything good (or bad) about that person. Politics is this in spades. I think they should not allow sponsors to Bills to be known. It would be absolutely brilliant if people were forced to actually think about things because they weren't labeled and then (horrors!!!) debate them on the merits rather than because the wrong person proposed it and all the person read was [democrat, democrat,democrat, democrat,democrat, democrat] or [GOP, GOP, GOP,GOP, GOP, GOP] instead of actual words.

I think I am past cynical and pessimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            I am exposed to more people who hate the Prez mindlessly than those who have the ability to articulate what exactly they hate other than the idea of him. It is so frustrating to try to understand someone's objection to a proposal and watch their eyes glaze over the minute it is mentioned which party it comes from followed by a spouting of how horrible it is with no real reason.
            Same experience, here.

Again, I wish someone would just publish a poll randomly ascribing nonsense sentences first to Obama and then to one of the right's adored -- say, Palin (and yes, I understand in the latter case they could simply use direct quotes) -- and then correlate approval and disapproval by the responder's political affiliation. That would be both funny and scary.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I wish someone would just publish a poll randomly ascribing nonsense sentences first to Obama and then to one of the right's adored
              For some reason this reminds me of a headline from the heyday of Pravda. The USSR and the USA would sometimes use athletic events as a way to "thaw the ice" during the Cold War.

Of course, if the USA won, then the Pravda headline would read: "Mighty USSR finishes 2nd, while impotent USA finishes 2nd to last."
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                For some reason this reminds me of a headline from the heyday of Pravda. The USSR and the USA would sometimes use athletic events as a way to "thaw the ice" during the Cold War.

Of course, if the USA won, then the Pravda headline would read: "Mighty USSR finishes 2nd, while impotent USA finishes 2nd to last."
                Very nice.

"In Soviet Russia, leader gives people four more years."
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Same experience, here.

Again, I wish someone would just publish a poll randomly ascribing nonsense sentences first to Obama and then to one of the right's adored -- say, Palin (and yes, I understand in the latter case they could simply use direct quotes) -- and then correlate approval and disapproval by the responder's political affiliation. That would be both funny and scary.
                  Hey, our Kenyan king shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as someone like Palin. He is all that is good and will take care of us all with his loving government programs, even if we don't get it. Such benevolence!
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                    Hey, our Kenyan king shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as someone like Palin. He is all that is good and will take care of us all with his loving government programs, even if we don't get it. Such benevolence!
                    *****http://us.acidcow.com/pics/20100528/hater_gonna_hate_02.jpg******
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      That hindsight must be really handy, given that at the time, everyone on both sides of the aisle pretty much agreed that US options in Iran were limited since we were hoping the undecided majority in the country and the Iranian regular army would come down on the side of the revolutionaries and American support would kill that hope.
                      The one thing that would push the undecided majority on the side of the fundamentalists would be for the revolutionaries to be seen as western/American puppets. Further, trying to do anything militarily would have made Iraq and Afghanistan seem like a cakewalk. It sounds nice to think we could have done something by snapping our fingers or bombing something, but frankly it would be for nothing more than show and would hurt the causes we were for a hell of a lot more than it would have helped them.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

*****http://us.acidcow.com/pics/20100528/hater_gonna_hate_02.jpg******
                        Yup, the hate for Palin has always been quite irrational. You got that one spot on.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Yup, the hate for Palin has always been quite irrational. You got that one spot on.
                          Apparently she didn't get her ratings bump on whatever TV show she was on, so the Never Was is now officially a Has Been.

I hope she saved her money.
                          Cornell University

Comment

The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
                            Good Morning Real America
                            www.thedailyshow.com
                            ****** style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:411655' width='512' height='288' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'>
                            Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Apparently she didn't get her ratings bump on whatever TV show she was on, so the Never Was is now officially a Has Been.

I hope she saved her money.
                              Haters gonna hate.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I don't know of anyone who truly hates Palin. Frankly I think most on the left would love it if she got the GOP nomiation. Dems would have a serious shot at the first 50 state sweep.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X