X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Based on the feds using interstate commerce to justify raiding your pot garden grown for personal use in a state that doesn't forbid personal use, yes.
    So basically the interstate commerce clause is going to be used to justify any mandate the government wishes to foist upon us. Lovely, just lovely.

Oh well, at least we got abortion out of it, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Interesting speculation in the Wall St Journal today....basically, IF Kennedy decides to support the Constitutionality of PPACA, then Roberts also would vote in favor, so that he could write the opinion (and by implication make it as restrictive as possible).

How amusing would that be, if the PPACA is upheld yet the four liberal justices write a dissenting opinion anyway!!
      If they're in the majority, they write a concurring opinion (or concurring in part, dissenting in part)

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        If they're in the majority, they write a concurring opinion (or concurring in part, dissenting in part)
        I knew that, it was merely a lame attempt at wit on my part; as I figured that what you phrased as "concurring in part" to be about 1% and "dissenting in part" to be about 99%.

In other words, the so-called "concurring" opinon would be aptly summarized as:

"How dare you give such a [insert adjective here] justification for this bill!!!!
        WE think that the justification should be [whatever]."
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Here's a droll thought....whatever the decision on PPACA, each of the Justices writes their own opinion in support or dissent....that would be a good thing for the country, I think.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I don't quite understand how a single-payor system inherently eliminates personal responsibility.

Comment

I think for amusement's sake whenever Kennedy retires, he should get to pick his replacement. 5-4 forever!
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Congress didn't legislate it. That's why the SG explained that they are "societal norms." Congress didn't say, "We have a crisis where poor people go to the ER, are refused care and die." It's the other way around. People who don't have the economic means go to the ER and receive care. The cost is then spread out to everyone. The Congress is responding to the morality in society. We, as a society, are not willing to stomach people being turned away by the hospital because they can't pay for care. If someone has a heart attack, the first paramedics on the scene do not go through the victim's wallet to look for proof of insurance before putting them in the ambulance. Maybe in Scalia's view they should.
                This except they had court cases that held the hosp/ambulance drivers responsible for driving to hosp farther away d/t lack of financial means

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  I think for amusement's sake whenever Kennedy retires, he should get to pick his replacement. 5-4 forever!
                  Replacement? Just put a silver dollar on the Court and have it flipped by a robot for each decision. Heads = vote with the conservative wing; tails = vote with the liberal wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                    Replacement? Just put a silver dollar on the Court and have it flipped by a robot for each decision. Heads = vote with the conservative wing; tails = vote with the liberal wing.
                    If there is a case on gambling, does the coin get recused?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      If there is a case on gambling, does the coin get recused?
                      We're going to grab that computer that won Jeopardy in those cases.

All Hail Our New Skynet Overlords.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        This except they had court cases that held the hosp/ambulance drivers responsible for driving to hosp farther away d/t lack of financial means
                        Well, no, not "this".

Congress certainly did legislate it.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                          Wow. I am old. I didn't think that was that long ago. I do remember the coverage that led up to that law tho. It was all over the news.

This was about the same time they started to try capitated healthcare in our state. The insurances were paying a set figure for each patient in your panel (I think it was 11$ a month). The complex patients were being jetisoned from practices because they had the capability of bankrupting the practice if they were very ill or just if they needed to see you all the time because they were worried well. LIl was undertreated for his asthma and we switched Docs after the Doc he had was treating him suboptimally so he could save cash. Wanted us to use an inhaler on him (6 months old) rather than prescribe a nebulizer. They eventually legislated that away somehow (don't remember but it went away) but we don't learn. One of the Boston Hospital groups just signed an agreement with BCBS to try again. Bad motivation- you get the cash if you see the person less but if the person over-utilizes you lose big $. So the Docs see them less but the hospital takes the hit for the sequelae. Not that I haven't said this before but medicine should not be tied to for profit/cash.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                            So, like Justice Scalia, you would 'remove the obligation' and allow patients without means of payment to die. Make no mistake, when he blithely talks about not obligating yourselves, that's what he means. So if you're in a car crash and knocked unconscious, the first thing paramedics on the scene will do is look for an insurance card or call to check your credit score. That's a solid policy. That will certainly help the unemployment problem, welfare, Social Security etc. Dead people collect no benefits. Not only would you be eliminating the 40-50 million uninsured, you would knock off quite a few who are underinsured. I say "you" not because, like Justice Scalia, I'm excluding myself from society but rather I'll be among those no longer living. I hope you enjoy your new society.

Reminds me of a quote from Dickens...

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              So, like Justice Scalia, you would 'remove the obligation' and allow patients without means of payment to die. Make no mistake, when he blithely talks about not obligating yourselves, that's what he means. So if you're in a car crash and knocked unconscious, the first thing paramedics on the scene will do is look for an insurance card or call to check your credit score. That's a solid policy. That will certainly help the unemployment problem, welfare, Social Security etc. Dead people collect no benefits. Not only would you be eliminating the 40-50 million uninsured, you would knock off quite a few who are underinsured. I say "you" not because, like Justice Scalia, I'm excluding myself from society but rather I'll be among those no longer living. I hope you enjoy your new society.

Reminds me of a quote from Dickens...
                              Congratulations, you've managed to miss the point entirely.

EMTALA is just fine. But the fact that Congress passed it, contra the SGs argument, does not give Congress extraconstitutional powers to find a way to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Wow. I am old. I didn't think that was that long ago. I do remember the coverage that led up to that law tho. It was all over the news.

This was about the same time they started to try capitated healthcare in our state. The insurances were paying a set figure for each patient in your panel (I think it was 11$ a month). The complex patients were being jetisoned from practices because they had the capability of bankrupting the practice if they were very ill or just if they needed to see you all the time because they were worried well. LIl was undertreated for his asthma and we switched Docs after the Doc he had was treating him suboptimally so he could save cash. Wanted us to use an inhaler on him (6 months old) rather than prescribe a nebulizer. They eventually legislated that away somehow (don't remember but it went away) but we don't learn. One of the Boston Hospital groups just signed an agreement with BCBS to try again. Bad motivation- you get the cash if you see the person less but if the person over-utilizes you lose big $. So the Docs see them less but the hospital takes the hit for the sequelae. Not that I haven't said this before but medicine should not be tied to for profit/cash.
                                Les

Would you give RomneyCare a + or a -?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X