X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
    For real? This is our new standard? There were all sorts of "jokes" (by Supreme Court standards) over the past 3 days of arguments, by all sorts of justices. Come on.

For instance, in the argument yesterday, Justice Kagan's question kind of got lost in the shuffle, to which she said:

ZOMG. HOW DARE SHE MAKE SOMEONE LAUGH?

This is seriously ridiculous.
    Oh don't be so melodramatic. It's his job to know and his decisions impact hundreds of millions of people. Joke all you want but if they weren't elected for life they wouldn't be so flippant about such comments. I'm sure doctors would have a lot of repeats if they kept joking about how little they paid attention to patients.

Comment

Haha, oh yes, I'm the one being melodramatic, freaking out over a joke.

Tel me by the way, when were our current crop of justices "elected"? I feel like I missed that election somehow.

Comment

Tel me by the way, when were our current crop of justices "elected"? I feel like I missed that election somehow.
        Sorry, meant to say appointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
          Sorry, meant to say appointed.
          Technically, they are appointed by the president and confirmed (or rejected) by the Senate.

Comment

You're a supreme court judge.... You shouldn't even joke about your job being easy. -_-

I don't think anyone should have to go throgh their work without having a laugh once in awhile. Scalia's bombastic but comeon...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Fascinating. Especially because this source has an article titled "Big Pharma Spends More On Advertising Than Research And Development." That would be $57B on promotion and less than $32B on "innovation."
              You asked for last year, you ******. Either contest the 2010 numbers or stop using decade old stats, you ******. Eat. It. You. ******.
              Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Those look like some good sources, how bout actual links?
                Google is handicap-accessible.

Not handicapped? Do your own work. I'm not here to hold your hand and feed you intelligence.
                Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
                  Google is handicap-accessible.

Not handicapped? Do your own work. I'm not here to hold your hand and feed you intelligence.
                  You volunteered to provide the information, it's not my job to back up your statements with sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
                    You asked for last year, you ******. Either contest the 2010 numbers or stop using decade old stats, you ******. Eat. It. You. ******.
                    2010 is last year?

I posted a source that not only refuted the numbers you posted, but showed that the pharmaceutical companies LIE in their statistics to show their R&D spending exceeds advertising when a more thorough examination of the facts shows advertising far exceeds when they report, and is closer to 2:1 spending on advertising than R&D. Further, the statistics I posted are from 2004 and show advertising spending at $57B and you expect anyone to believe that by 2010 that number had magically dropped to $4B? Riiiiight. And if we all clap really hard, Tinkerbell will come back to life.

Comment

Serious question. For the 4 liberal justices that are likely to approve of the individual mandate is there anything they think the federal gov't can't do outside of the Bill or Rights? I've always wondered where liberals put the limit to gov't power.
                      "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

The knucks' are a little sensitive today when asked for sources for their data aren't they? Not sure why they're so embarassed to tell us where they get their ideas from....

I'll take the bait MinnFan. The limit is if it doesn't affect interstate commerce. Clearly health care does (in fact despite having universal health care Mass has to pay for shiftless NH residents who cross the border to seek ER care). Eating a certain veggie does not. Hence the difference.

EDIT: I'll also carve out an exemption for national security. I thought the plaintiff's attorney screwed up royally when saying the feds couldn't quarrantine a section of the country if there was a disease outbreak or something. That's just stark raving stupid and doesn't reflect reality.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          EDIT: I'll also carve out an exemption for national security. I thought the plaintiff's attorney screwed up royally when saying the feds couldn't quarrantine a section of the country if there was a disease outbreak or something. That's just stark raving stupid and doesn't reflect reality.
                          Legally they can't (thank you Tom Clancy). But common sense would seem to make it practical.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'll take the bait MinnFan. The limit is if it doesn't affect interstate commerce. Clearly health care does (in fact despite having universal health care Mass has to pay for shiftless NH residents who cross the border to seek ER care). Eating a certain veggie does not. Hence the difference.
                            Eating veggies certainly does have an effect on commerce though when you consider that a it was ruled interstate commerce when a farmer grew wheat for his own consumption.

How is buying insurance from within your state's boundres interstate commerce?

Thats my point with all this. You can broaden anything to have an effect. So where is moral boundary for liberals?
                            "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

The knucks' are a little sensitive today when asked for sources for their data aren't they? Not sure why they're so embarassed to tell us where they get their ideas from....

Because then you'll have a hissy fit about how the source isn't credible.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
                                Serious question. For the 4 liberal justices that are likely to approve of the individual mandate is there anything they think the federal gov't can't do outside of the Bill or Rights? I've always wondered where liberals put the limit to gov't power.
                                It's sort of like the "penumbras" that "emanate" from the Constitution....even if they can't describe it to others, they know it when they see it, and we merely need to trust them.
                                Last edited by FreshFish; 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X