Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_1...50-504564.html
    It'll be interesting how she treats the hearings, which she called a "vapid and hollow charade" and a "farce".

    She better not duck any questions, making statements like that.

    This has to be a shot at Roberts right?
    "She identified a specific justice who she thought was not appropriate in responses," said Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter after he met with Kagan. "I'm not going to tell you who it was, but I'm going to take a look at that record in preparation for the questioning."
    Last edited by WeWantMore; 05-14-2010, 10:08 PM.

    Comment


    • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

      Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...operty-rights/

      Interesting read. I like the fact that she takes a more sane approach to personal property. I still can't believe the court sided with eminent domain on that...
      I read that article on the train ride home tonight (somebody left the paper on the seat) which sparked my comments... not bad from DC's moderate paper.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

      Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey


      NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

      Comment


      • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

        Originally posted by Patman View Post
        I read that article on the train ride home tonight (somebody left the paper on the seat) which sparked my comments... not bad from DC's moderate paper.
        "moderate"? Uhhh, no.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

        Comment


        • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

          Originally posted by Patman View Post
          I read that article on the train ride home tonight (somebody left the paper on the seat) which sparked my comments... not bad from DC's moderate paper.
          For me, it's property rights that always gets my goat. I take a somewhat Lockean approach to property rights.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

          Comment


          • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

            Originally posted by jmh View Post
            "moderate"? Uhhh, no.
            what? its between of the left paper (the Post) and the right paper (the Examiner)... its the definition of moderate

            Remember this the next time we talk about moderates. If liberals don't play fair then neither shall I.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

            Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey


            NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

            Comment


            • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

              Why don't we just call it what it is. The Daily Moonie.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

              Comment


              • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                Why don't we just call it what it is. The Daily Moonie.
                in either case its DC's moderate paper and should be respected as such.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey


                NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                Comment


                • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                  Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  He wasn't seriously tested, though. He only had to last through two terms of republican rule. Now if McCain had won, and Stevens had to survive another 8 years before retiring, that would have been impressive.
                  Stevens' "test" was he should have retired around 1998. He definitely stayed on throughout Shrub's nuclear winter as a stall tactic. Justices seem to be doing that more and more. The Court is highly politicized (I know, no sh it).

                  The Washington Times is, as Patman knows, toilet paper. There's more intelligent political commentary in the Boston Herald or the New York Post, and that's about as low as the print bar gets. He's just playing games.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                    Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    Stevens was already 80 when Bush was elected! If Obama wins a second term, at the end of that term Scalia will be 80, and then he'll have to stay on the Court another eight years after that to be as old as Stevens was when he announced his retirement.
                    80 is the new 70.

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                      Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      in either case its DC's moderate paper and should be respected as such.
                      You've been around these parts way too long for anyone to believe you're a relativist.

                      D.C. has two conservative newspapers.
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                        Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                        You've been around these parts way too long for anyone to believe you're a relativist.

                        D.C. has two conservative newspapers.
                        Yes, but its between the one on the left and the one on the right... so its moderate. If this is the working definition of the Democratic party then its mine too. You see, I have been around way too long... long enough to notice its a label and image game... whatever you can get people to believe and no less. My goal is to spin the Wash Times as the moderate paper. Sorta like how universal health care is a "moderate" ideal. All in the spin and what you want to believe.

                        Its not that I don't recognize moderates... moderates take positions "in the middle"... the problem with that idea is that if one stakes out an extreme plank then what you want or accept becomes moderate. So, why not work this in reverse. Lets polarize further in the direction I want... but I won't call it that. I suppose the problem here is that nobody here reflexively believes that I'm reasonable. But, if you did then I would stake out a further extreme position because I know you'll jump when a "moderate" takes the "middle" position.

                        That being said, thankfully the Examiner changes the game... and makes the Washington Times the moderate paper.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                        Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey


                        NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                        Comment


                        • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                          Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          My goal is to spin the Wash Times as the moderate paper.
                          Thanks for the warning.

                          I suppose the problem here is that nobody here reflexively believes that I'm reasonable.
                          Of course people do. That's why the stock market tanked after health care passed...just like reasonable you said it would.

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                            No offense, but it sounds a little Don Quixote to me.

                            You know too much math to equate median with a quality like moderation.

                            Besides, both parties do this sort of thing all the time.
                            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

                            Comment


                            • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                              Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              That's why the stock market tanked after health care passed...just like reasonable you said it would.
                              A government power grab on health care is the least of the stock market's concerns right now. Government defaults and the potential collapse of the Euro? Slightly bigger worries.

                              Comment


                              • Re: The Power of the SCOTUS II: "Release the Kagan!"

                                Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                Yes, but its between the one on the left and the one on the right... so its moderate. If this is the working definition of the Democratic party then its mine too. You see, I have been around way too long... long enough to notice its a label and image game... whatever you can get people to believe and no less. My goal is to spin the Wash Times as the moderate paper. Sorta like how universal health care is a "moderate" ideal. All in the spin and what you want to believe.

                                Its not that I don't recognize moderates... moderates take positions "in the middle"... the problem with that idea is that if one stakes out an extreme plank then what you want or accept becomes moderate. So, why not work this in reverse. Lets polarize further in the direction I want... but I won't call it that. I suppose the problem here is that nobody here reflexively believes that I'm reasonable. But, if you did then I would stake out a further extreme position because I know you'll jump when a "moderate" takes the "middle" position.

                                That being said, thankfully the Examiner changes the game... and makes the Washington Times the moderate paper.
                                I expect more out of a stats man like you. If there's one paper at -10 and another at +10, and somebody starts one up at +11, the +10 paper doesn't suddenly get to claim the mantle of "moderate." Completely preposterous.

                                Between != middle.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X