• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for prayers, good vibes and what have you

Thanks guys

Comment

Got a call last night around 8pm from the hospice nurse on duty. My heart about stopped when I answered the phone, but it wasn't THAT call. My aunt has started crying out in pain but can't articulate what's bothering her. After consulting with the MD, he prescribed a morphine pump. I think she said it was 2.5 mL (2.5 something's anyway) every 6 hours. I have no clue what that means other than the morphine should keep her comfortable.

I'm starting to ask, if there is a God, why is this happening? I feel so helpless, but at the same time know that they're doing everything they can to comfort her.
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
        Got a call last night around 8pm from the hospice nurse on duty. My heart about stopped when I answered the phone, but it wasn't THAT call. My aunt has started crying out in pain but can't articulate what's bothering her. After consulting with the MD, he prescribed a morphine pump. I think she said it was 2.5 mL (2.5 something's anyway) every 6 hours. I have no clue what that means other than the morphine should keep her comfortable.

I'm starting to ask, if there is a God, why is this happening? I feel so helpless, but at the same time know that they're doing everything they can to comfort her.
        That is a question I haven't come up with the answer for yet and have been asking for lots of yrs. I try to comfort myself with the knowledge when the person passes all the pain and suffering they endured here on earth is not something that will mean anything when they pass. It is something that stays with us but not with them. You are doing your best to make the right decisions and it sounds like they are doing everything humanly possible to make her comfortable.

The Morphine should begin to help. The pump allows for a pretty constant level of pain relief without waiting for med to kick in like when you give a shot. Sounds like she is nearing the end of her suffering. Will be thinking of you and saying a prayer.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          The Morphine should begin to help. The pump allows for a pretty constant level of pain relief without waiting for med to kick in like when you give a shot.
          I forgot to mention that she is unable to operate the pump herself so the hospice nurses are doing it themselves..

Sounds like she is nearing the end of her suffering. Will be thinking of you and saying a prayer.
          I certainly hope so. For as long as this has been going on (April will be 5 yrs since she went to the home) and for as bad as she's gotten, I always just wanted her to never suffer. She deserves better than that for being the person that she is (was).
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          Northeast Regional:

Comment

The hospice nurse in charge of my aunt's case spoke to my wife this evening... they're estimating a week or less as she's deteriorating fast. Suggested that anyone who wants to visit should do so this weekend.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

The hospice nurse in charge of my aunt's case spoke to my wife this evening... they're estimating a week or less as she's deteriorating fast. Suggested that anyone who wants to visit should do so this weekend.
              Sending good thoughts your way.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Comment

My aunt passed shortly after midnight. She had been unconscious for about the last 48 hrs and went peacefully in her sleep.

I was blessed to have this woman in my life and know she has gone on to a better place.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

My aunt passed shortly after midnight. She had been unconscious for about the last 48 hrs and went peacefully in her sleep.

I was blessed to have this woman in my life and know she has gone on to a better place.
                    My condolences, Mark. Being in the same situation, I know it's not easy to know that's she's now gone and at the same time give a great sigh of relief for the ease of her troubles. Alzheimer's is just pure hell.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      My condolences, Mark.
                      Thank you.

I know it's not easy to know that's she's now gone and at the same time give a great sigh of relief for the ease of her troubles.
                      It's only been a couple of hours so the grieving hasn't really set in. My first reaction was one of utter relief that she did not suffer. It actually took me several minutes to get emotional.

Alzheimer's is just pure hell.
                      This! It's right up there with cancer. What was hardest for me over the past 5 years was the fact that my aunt had no physical ailments... nothing. Alzheimer's robbed her of everything. I just pray that the experts are correct and she really didn't know what was going on. While she passed today, we actually lost her several years ago.

I'm thankful she had the foresight to save a lot of money as it was able to provide her some of the best care over the years. I was able to get her into one of the best facilities around here and the people there have been great in caring for her, and us. It's sad to think that all that money was spent in this way and she wasn't able to fully enjoy her retirement and the fruits of her labor, but sometimes that's just how life is.

The past couple of months have been really tough on me because we were running out of money and I couldn't find a suitable alternative for her care when the money was gone. Her current income was too great for state aid but not nearly enough to maintain what she had, and the options were very limited. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I've had over this. Thankfully, all that worry is over now.

Now it's up to me and my two daughters to carry on the family legacy.

Rest in peace, Aunt Lois.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      Northeast Regional:

Comment

MEUSA have been thinking of you these past days. I am glad your Aunt passed peacefully. It sounds as if she was truly blessed to have you watching over her and her affairs. Saying a prayer for you all. You have been mourning a long time, but the passing is so final.

Comment

My condolences Mark. Sounds like you have many wonderful memories of your aunt. Cherish them.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            You have been mourning a long time, but the passing is so final.
                            Thanks les... it's very much appreciated. You'd think that with almost 5 yrs to prepare for this that it wouldn't be that hard. Still hurts like he!!.

I'm trying to focus on the good memories and all the great things she did for my family and I. I'm trying to remind myself that we did all we could for her over these past few years. I'm trying to find comfort in knowing that hospice was able to make her last days comfortable and dignified. But it still hurts.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                              My condolences Mark. Sounds like you have many wonderful memories of your aunt. Cherish them.
                              Thanks Bob. I do, and I will.
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Thanks les... it's very much appreciated. You'd think that with almost 5 yrs to prepare for this that it wouldn't be that hard. Still hurts like he!!.

I'm trying to focus on the good memories and all the great things she did for my family and I. I'm trying to remind myself that we did all we could for her over these past few years. I'm trying to find comfort in knowing that hospice was able to make her last days comfortable and dignified. But it still hurts.
                                Sometimes it is easier to question yourself and wonder if you could have done more than to realize things are not in your control.

Comment

Working...
                                X