X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biddco
    replied
    Re: A Thread for prayers, good vibes and what have you

Having my childhood and first dog put down later today. A 13 year old Basset Hound named Barley. He has major hip problems that limits his mobility, along with deafness and arthritis, he is in too much pain for us to keep him around. Gonna miss going home to my parents place to see him. Basset Hounds rule, I'm going to miss having one.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Prayers for her continued recovery!

And I've thought about it, asked my pastor and some trusted friends, and I've come to this conclusion: I need to leave my stepdad behind. I love him and I want the best for him, but I'm at the point where I've had it with his antics. I can't keep on him to do his part around the house, he's diabetic and I can't watch what he eats (I have enough trouble watching what I eat), and I can't sit and listen to him whine about our situation. I hear God asking us bluntly "what have you done to CHANGE your situation?" and right now, I don't have a good answer for God.
    I don't think the answer is you have done nothing. The answer is 'Insight' is your first step. Without it you didn't know to take the next step which is acknowledging that the right thing is not easy. Or the next step which is getting over the pain of knowing you have to to do something that is painful to you and someone else.

Painful as it is to move on- when someone is doing something unhealthy sometimes your moving on is what they need to make a step themselves. Your stepdad is a grown up. With you always watching over him he is the child and you are the adult. Time to let him revert to being a grown up. Gauranteed you will get a lot of emotional blackmail, either purposeful or not, as you move toward being healthy. One of the most powerful analogies I ever heard during psych classes likened a dysfunctional family as a group of things inside an elastic band. When someone starts to get healthy and distance themself it drew the rest of the family closer together and increased the pressure on the person to snap back to the center. As long as you know to expect that the behaviours will escalate as you get more healthy you can be ready for it and identify the increased crazy for what it is.

You did not sign up to support your Stepdad's crazy just because your Mum married him.

Prayers for you both. I always tell people that whoever said doing the right thing always feels right is a nutjob. Sometimes doing the right thing feels awful and uncomfortable. It is still the right thing.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by TJbadgerfan View Post
    What a great thread. I wish I had stumbled on it sooner but I don't check out the Cafe much.

My wife recently had a cold which then turned into a sinus and ear infection. The infection moved into a sinus behind the ear, eroded through the bone and into the brain resulting in meningitus. She was airlifted from Appleton (just south of Green Bay) on January 20th to UW Hospital in Madison. She has been home now for 2 weeks after 2 days in the ICU and a total of 10 days in the hospital. I am still doing IV infusions of antibiotics twice a day plus an oral antibiotic once a day. Infectious Disease Doctors at UW are optomistic and hopefully only 1 more week of the infusions.

The last 3 1/2 weeks have been really long and I feel so tired at times. I spent the entire 10 days in the hospital with her. Our church family has been so awsome with prayers and support. Prayer is so powerful and it is so reassuring that God always has us in his hands. (Don't know how many times I played "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns on the 100 mile drive to Madison. Over and over.)
    Prayers for her continued recovery!

And I've thought about it, asked my pastor and some trusted friends, and I've come to this conclusion: I need to leave my stepdad behind. I love him and I want the best for him, but I'm at the point where I've had it with his antics. I can't keep on him to do his part around the house, he's diabetic and I can't watch what he eats (I have enough trouble watching what I eat), and I can't sit and listen to him whine about our situation. I hear God asking us bluntly "what have you done to CHANGE your situation?" and right now, I don't have a good answer for God.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

That sounds like a really horrible thing to happen. Glad to hear your wife is home and improving. That kind of stuff doesn't always go well. Prayers for her continued recovery!

Leave a comment:

• TJbadgerfan
    replied

What a great thread. I wish I had stumbled on it sooner but I don't check out the Cafe much.

My wife recently had a cold which then turned into a sinus and ear infection. The infection moved into a sinus behind the ear, eroded through the bone and into the brain resulting in meningitus. She was airlifted from Appleton (just south of Green Bay) on January 20th to UW Hospital in Madison. She has been home now for 2 weeks after 2 days in the ICU and a total of 10 days in the hospital. I am still doing IV infusions of antibiotics twice a day plus an oral antibiotic once a day. Infectious Disease Doctors at UW are optomistic and hopefully only 1 more week of the infusions.

The last 3 1/2 weeks have been really long and I feel so tired at times. I spent the entire 10 days in the hospital with her. Our church family has been so awsome with prayers and support. Prayer is so powerful and it is so reassuring that God always has us in his hands. (Don't know how many times I played "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns on the 100 mile drive to Madison. Over and over.)
    Last edited by TJbadgerfan; 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Prayers for them and you too.

Leave a comment:

• MarkEagleUSA
    replied

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    My good friends Josh and Yvonne lost their son Nick to luekodystrophy tonight.
    Thoughts and prayers their way...

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

My good friends Josh and Yvonne lost their son Nick to luekodystrophy tonight. They need all the prayers an good vibes as you can muster right now. He was a great kid and a fought until the end.

Go with God, Nick.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Wouldn't he have been more qualified before the surgery??
    Good point.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Hope the visual recover progresses well!

PS- your thread is hysterical. I rarely go into the D I side. You guys are actually civil
    Red Cloud tries to stir us up.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Prayers for USCHO poster DrDemento who is recovering from cataract and retina surgery yesterday http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5613728. I posted that if he doesn't recover fully, he still would be qualified to be a hockey ref, but he didn't buy that.
    Wouldn't he have been more qualified before the surgery??

Leave a comment:

• MountieBoyOz
    replied

Hope you're feeling better, Dr. D.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Hope the visual recover progresses well!

PS- your thread is hysterical. I rarely go into the D I side. You guys are actually civil

Leave a comment:

• MarkEagleUSA
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Prayers for USCHO poster DrDemento who is recovering from cataract and retina surgery
    Get well soon DrD.

Now, be honest, it was the pictures, right?

Leave a comment:

• brookyone
    replied

Prayers to Dr.D for his complete recovery and future visual enjoyment!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X