X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for prayers, good vibes and what have you

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
    My wife's lung cancer started growing again and they found a second (new) tumor. They changed her chemo and mow she'll lose her hair. As promised to her, I shaved my head. I wish it was May!
    I know it sounds lame - but you might have her try positive imaging every few days. Have her picture the cancer as an enemy and picture chemo as something positive. When I worked in the hospital, the nurses would have the kids in pediatrics draw armies of teddy-bears fighting cancer cells that looked like boogers. It sounds cheesy, but something like that might help keep her spirits up. She doesn't even have to put it on paper, just picturing it mentally might help. I suppose meditation on the good things in life might also work - or prayer, if you're of a religious inclination.

Awesome that you are able to support her in that way - solidarity! *fist up*

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
      I know it sounds lame - but you might have her try positive imaging every few days. Have her picture the cancer as an enemy and picture chemo as something positive. When I worked in the hospital, the nurses would have the kids in pediatrics draw armies of teddy-bears fighting cancer cells that looked like boogers. It sounds cheesy, but something like that might help keep her spirits up. She doesn't even have to put it on paper, just picturing it mentally might help. I suppose meditation on the good things in life might also work - or prayer, if you're of a religious inclination.

Awesome that you are able to support her in that way - solidarity! *fist up*
      I had a boss who was a terrible, evil nazi cow, but she said one good thing in 10 years. My best friend was heading into chemo for Hodgkins's disease, and she said he should imagine the chemo as being like Pacman. Just chowing down cancer cells. Even though it sounded like a kid's thing, and my friend was in his thirties, he said it really helped him get through it. And he's been cancer free for nearly 20 years.
      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
        Bob,

I know what you're going through, as I lost my Mom last November to interstitial lung disease, just before Thanksgiving. It was especially hard, as my Mom went unexpectedly quickly. My wife and I had make plans to go back and be with her for Thanksgiving and we'd bought open-ended tickets to stay with her awhile. I spoke with her and my Stepdad the friday before Thanksgiving about holiday plans and all. We were arriving on Monday to be with them. Then we got a call late Friday night that she had unexpectedly gone downhill quickly and passed that night, just two days before we would have been there. Very tough weekend.

Other than my wife, my Mom was the person I was closest to in the whole world. I just spent ten days back in Minnesota, part of which was spent going through her things with my siblings. Even now, ten months after she passed, the emotions well up every so often and I'll start to cry. Oftentimes it's just little things I'll see that make me think of her. But, you know, that's ok. Sometimes we think we have to have our guard up and not show our emotions, but it's really ok to grieve, and everyone grieves in their own way and on their own timetable. I think when you lose someone that important to you, there's an empty spot in your life that never gets filled again, even though as time passes, the pain gradually fades. But, again, that's ok.

One thing I spent some time doing was going back through a file where I had kept letters from my Mom over the years. One was especially meaningful, as it was a letter my Mom had sent me when my grandfather had just passed away. To quote a bit of it:
        "We are praying for you and love you. The Lord worked things out for your return to Minnesota for Grandpa Gray’s funeral. I have not known a grandfather who truly loved his grandchildren so. (I know Grandpa Cedar would have, if he had lived to know his). You have been blessed, and you will have precious memories, which will be with you for your lifetime. As your sorrow eases, your memories will become more precious."
        Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
        I am so sorry this is late, I didn't see it. But my prayers are with you Bob. Anything I can do to help let me know and God Bless. I am so sorry for your loss.
        Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        I too am late and just catching up.

So so so sorry to hear this Bob! Prayers for you and your family. Cry all you want! You lost your mother!!!!
        Originally posted by legal_hit View Post
        Well said.

My husband was very close to his mom who passed away almost four years ago. He still tears up about it from time to time.
        Bob, that was beautiful. And I'm learning to let it out whenever I feel it coming on; cried on Saturday during the Old Boys' half and after I crossed the finish line. Before I left for the race on Saturday, I took a blue Sharpie wrote "This One's For Mom" on my arm:

*****http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs630.snc4/59043_642226456277_40601541_36366355_378117_n.jpg******

Monday was my first birthday without her, and I cried at least twice.

Also, it has been difficult trying to separate the memory of Mom from her belongings. My friends have been over twice in the past couple weeks to help box up her stuff and get it out of here, and I've had to answer a lot of questions on whether to keep her things, donate them to Goodwill, or throw them out. Thankfully we found someone to take her craft supplies, my church is getting her old Sunday school supplies, and I've got another car load of things going to Goodwill today.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Hang in there Bob! healing, time, healing, time.

Love your "tat" for the race!!
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            Hang in there Bob! healing, time, healing, time.

Love your "tat" for the race!!
            One other thing I'm doing is I'm looking for something of Mom's that I can turn into a necklace.

And maybe it's just a coincidence, but since Mom passed, every time I go for one of my early morning runs lately, Neil Diamond appears on my iPod at least 4 times, the constellation Orion is always above me and to the right, and I'm hearing her say "come on, come on..."
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              One other thing I'm doing is I'm looking for something of Mom's that I can turn into a necklace.

And maybe it's just a coincidence, but since Mom passed, every time I go for one of my early morning runs lately, Neil Diamond appears on my iPod at least 4 times, the constellation Orion is always above me and to the right, and I'm hearing her say "come on, come on..."
              That stuff isn't coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                That stuff isn't coincidence.
                If it's not coincidence, then what is it?

And some more of her stuff went out the door today; I'm still amazed at how much stuff she collected over time. At least I know it's going to a thrift store and to people who can use it; throwing it out would have been wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  If it's not coincidence, then what is it?

And some more of her stuff went out the door today; I'm still amazed at how much stuff she collected over time. At least I know it's going to a thrift store and to people who can use it; throwing it out would have been wrong.
                  Act of God.

Comment

Act of God.
                    Amen.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

To ShirtlessBob,

While I don't know the pain of losing a parent, my heart and prayers go out to you. I hope that you can find strength through it all.

God go with you in your next race.
                      Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                      www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

If so inclined please say a prayer for the family of Craig Charron who passed away of stomach cancer this AM at age 42. He played at UML when they were ULowell. A great guy. Left behind a wife and 2 children Cancer sucks!

Comment

For those who are aware about my wife's condition, she's having a good week. She'll have an awesome day today when our youngest arrives at our home today on a surprise visit from Korea. I can't believe I haven't blown the surprise.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                            For those who are aware about my wife's condition, she's having a good week. She'll have an awesome day today when our youngest arrives at our home today on a surprise visit from Korea. I can't believe I haven't blown the surprise.
                            Awesome!
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

If so inclined please say a prayer for the family of Craig Charron who passed away of stomach cancer this AM at age 42. He played at UML when they were ULowell. A great guy. Left behind a wife and 2 children Cancer sucks!
                              Nephew of former Team USA goalie Jim Craig.

Comment

Pro- good to hear. Hope the visit is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X