Minot, ND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minot, ND

Minot is considered to be amongst the worst postings in the AF. I have been there...can't say I was impressed. Better than Dunseith though.
    AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Does anyone go to Emerado (Grand Forks) anymore?
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
        It's a part of the world where:

* Windows don't have bars.
        * Doors have locks, but only half the people use them.
        * If your car breaks down outside of town, almost half the drivers will stop if you wave for help.
        * If you want to golf, you can usually hit the course and tee off within 15 minutes.
        * Sunrises and sunsets are magnificent. And, yes, there's nothing to block the view.
        * Almost as many women as men go duck hunting.
        * In school, the kids are expected to work, and most of them do.
        * Especially in the smaller towns, activities don't cut kids, they recruit them. You can get involved in everything you want.
        * You make your own fun. (This has good and bad sides.)
        * If you go on vacation, 20 people will be happy to take your dog for the week. (Pet hotel? what's that?)
        * You find out a lot about yourself.
        * With only 8 people per square mile, most folks are happy to welcome one more person.
        * Best of all, its only 3 1/2 hours from Fighting Sioux hockey.
        If the kids go to the high school, they'll be Magicians, and they'll face the Dickinson Midgets.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          So a friend of my girlfriend is an Air Force psychologist and recently got her first posting, and it's for Minot, ND. Is anyone here familiar with that city or its surrounding area and have any advice for what there is of note around there, what's good, what's bad, where to go, what to avoid, etc.?
          My father grew up in Minot, so I recall many visits there in the '60's as we visited my grandparents. I still have a good friend from college who lives there with his family. It's also the home to one of my favorite golf courses in North Dakota, the Minot Country Club, so I come at this with a bit of a biased outlook.

I'm sure your girlfriend's friend will hate it, but possibly because she won't give it a chance. There is no question that in the air force it's considered an undesirable post. Thus, she will be walking into a situation where most of her fellow air force personnel will perceive they've been posted at the South Pole. It's hard to look at the positives when everyone is negative.

It will depend upon her interests. If she likes the outdoors, or outdoor activities, she's been given a great opportunity. Let's assume she doesn't hunt or fish, she is still close enough to places like the Missouri River and the Roosevelt National Park that she can go for hiking, biking, cross country skiing, boating, etc...

Will she get traveling broadway plays, opera or similar events coming to town? No. Restaurants with 5-star rankings and French pastry chefs? No.

But there are little perks if you know where to look for them. Like 3 minute trips to the grocery store. More home than you could dream of for $75,000. Like walking into a hometown restaurant and being served a spectacular breakfast or home style meal and getting a bill for $7.

They have an airport with daily flights on major airlines. There is nothing like pulling up to a small terminal, parking your car for a few bucks a day, getting out, walking through a security line with 4 people into it, and onto your flight to remind you why flying out of Newark or MSP or some similar spot is no great treat.

My best advice to her would be to judge it for herself, and try not to let the opinions of others influence her before she gives it a chance.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            It's hard to look at the positives when everyone is negative.
            This should have been the official motto of the 2010 New York Mets.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              They have an airport with daily flights on major airlines. There is nothing like pulling up to a small terminal, parking your car for a few bucks a day, getting out, walking through a security line with 4 people into it, and onto your flight to remind you why flying out of Newark or MSP or some similar spot is no great treat.
              It's just Delta (and they're probably not even operated by Delta) and it's around 3 flights, only going to and from MSP and SLC.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
              X