Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minot, ND

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
    Hunting and fishing is great. But booze is the answer.
    I asked a coworker who was stationed in Minot. His response in full was, "I hope she likes to drink until she passes out." This from a guy who liked Newfoundland.

It doesn't sound very nice.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-07-2010, 08:35 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My wife recalls a midwinter childhood overnight stop in Minot, where the Holiday Inn had an indoor pool with a waterslide. Don't know if that's still there, but if it is, it bodes well as your winter entertainment option.

I'm not surprised that psychologists are in such demand there. Sounds grim.

Comment

Look.... everyplace is what you make of it.

If you think or "know" it is going to suck, then it will. If you think or "know" otherwise, it will be that.

In the case of Minot, that's 200% the case.

It's not really out in the middle of nowhere. I like to say it is the NW corner of a square of civilization North Dakota. The other corners are Bismark (SW), Fargo (SE), and Grand Forks (NE).

If you don't live in or near one of those four corners, congrats. You live in the middle of nowhere.

Of the four "corners," though, Minot is the smallest. Definitely a small town feel (especially if you are moving from a big city or metropolitan area).

The people are nice. The drive there SUCKS even if it is easy.

I love ND and want to move back from Omaha, but yeah, Minot is a "love it or hate it" type environment.

And people do drink heavily there.
        Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Nice Post, RW77.

Minot AFB is 10 miles N of town, on a desolate flat prairie. The city sits astride a fairly deep river valley, making for some GREAT biking hills. All of the little valleys running down into the river valley also make for some nice secluded spots for High School keggers. Down in the valley, there are 2 city parks, lots of trees, 2 golf courses (one private), maybe more now.

Only 1 public HS - 2 campuses. grades 9-10 go to the older (remodeled) downtown campus, 11-12 go to the newer (1974 - i was in the first graduating class) campus.

College town - Minot State University is there. (The Beavers)

In July, the State Fair comes to town for about a week and a half.

In October, the biggest Scandanavian festival in the country is on (Hostfest) for 5 days.
          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

I grew up in a small town 80 miles NE of Minot (Bottineau)....truly BFE, but considered close to Minot in North Dakota terms. What Bottineau does have though is Lake Metigoshe. A nice area, somewhat similar to northern Minnesota, wooded, rolling hills, and a nice lake. So if she likes boating, waterskiing, swimming, camping, downhill skiing, snowmobiling, etc., this place is worth the drive.
            Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

GO SIOUX!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
              My wife recalls a midwinter childhood overnight stop in Minot, where the Holiday Inn had an indoor pool with a waterslide. Don't know if that's still there, but if it is, it bodes well as your winter entertainment option.

I'm not surprised that psychologists are in such demand there. Sounds grim.
              My friend's husband is from Minot...they stayed at that Holiday Inn last year with their family. That was the only nice thing she ever said about that town. Even her husband had nothing good to say.

Now Rugby, I have heard nice things about that place...well one nice thing.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Oglethorpe View Post
                A nice area, somewhat similar to northern Minnesota, wooded, rolling hills, and a nice lake. So if she likes boating, waterskiing, swimming, camping, downhill skiing, snowmobiling, etc., this place is worth the drive.
                Don't need a hill to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  Don't need a hill to do this?
                  Out on the prairie there's nothing to stop the wind pushing you harder than gravity could ever pull you. All they'd need is a miniature gauge train to bring you back west.

(This is only half in jest, having dealt with Kansas winds.)
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

there is a frisbee golf course on the base ...
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

It's a part of the world where:

* Windows don't have bars.
                      * Doors have locks, but only half the people use them.
                      * If your car breaks down outside of town, almost half the drivers will stop if you wave for help.
                      * If you want to golf, you can usually hit the course and tee off within 15 minutes.
                      * Sunrises and sunsets are magnificent. And, yes, there's nothing to block the view.
                      * Almost as many women as men go duck hunting.
                      * In school, the kids are expected to work, and most of them do.
                      * Especially in the smaller towns, activities don't cut kids, they recruit them. You can get involved in everything you want.
                      * You make your own fun. (This has good and bad sides.)
                      * If you go on vacation, 20 people will be happy to take your dog for the week. (Pet hotel? what's that?)
                      * You find out a lot about yourself.
                      * With only 8 people per square mile, most folks are happy to welcome one more person.
                      * Best of all, its only 3 1/2 hours from Fighting Sioux hockey.

Comment

You can always go see the Fighting Sioux... oh wait what's their nickname now?
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
                          It's a part of the world where:

* Windows don't have bars.
                          * If your car breaks down outside of town, almost half the drivers will stop if you wave for help.
                          * If you want to golf, you can usually hit the course and tee off within 15 minutes.
                          * Sunrises and sunsets are magnificent. And, yes, there's nothing to block the view.
                          * Especially in the smaller towns, activities don't cut kids, they recruit them. You can get involved in everything you want.
                          * If you go on vacation, 20 people will be happy to take your dog for the week. (Pet hotel? what's that?)
                          * With only 8 people per square mile, most folks are happy to welcome one more person.
                          * Best of all, its only 3 1/2 hours from Fighting Sioux hockey.
                          TRUTHS ALL.

Well said.
                          Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                            Fighting Sioux.
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
                              And they're burglarizing the houses of the people that don't.
                              Except that there's little to no traffic, so you might be waiting 3 days for help.
                              ... which is great except that golf season lasts about six weeks.
                              That's because there aren't any trees.
                              ...and they look exactly like the men who go duck hunting.
                              ...as janitors.
                              ...which sets them up well to attend SCSU, king of participation banners.
                              You make your own meth.
                              * If you go on vacation, 20 people will be happy to take your dog for the week.
                              ...so they can **** it.
                              No tv and no beer make Homer something something.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                The Fighting TBDs.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X