Minot, ND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minot, ND

So a friend of my girlfriend is an Air Force psychologist and recently got her first posting, and it's for Minot, ND. Is anyone here familiar with that city or its surrounding area and have any advice for what there is of note around there, what's good, what's bad, where to go, what to avoid, etc.?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Re: Minot, ND

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    So a friend of my girlfriend is an Air Force psychologist and recently got her first posting, and it's for Minot, ND. Is anyone here familiar with that city or its surrounding area and have any advice for what there is of note around there, what's good, what's bad, where to go, what to avoid, etc.?
    Sorry, no specific information from me. However, when I was in the AF, I recall people posted to Minot were eligible for "remote" pay. That may give you an inkling.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Wow, that's so far out in the middle of nowhere that people from Grand Forks think it's in the middle of nowhere.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        Ooh, my condolences to your gf's friend. I grew up in ND, so I actually requested a reassignment to Minot (from SW Idaho, so not much difference). There was a long pause on the phone before the personnel guy said, "So, you want to go to Minot?" That may be the first and last such request they've ever gotten.

Anyway, it is what you make of it, and the nice thing about the AF is there are others in the same situation, and usually there are social activities on the base to make up for the lack of a downtown scene. I could likely answer specific questions if she has them. Where is she from originally?

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Sorry, no specific information from me. However, when I was in the AF, I recall people posted to Minot were eligible for "remote" pay. That may give you an inkling.
        While this probably should be the case, it is not true.

Originally posted by jmh View Post
        Wow, that's so far out in the middle of nowhere that people from Grand Forks think it's in the middle of nowhere.
        As someone who's lived in both places I can say that this IS true.
        โ€œTwo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Iโ€™m not sure about the universe.โ€ โ€”Albert Einstein

"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan, 40th president of the US (1911-2004)

Just when I thought you couldn't be any dumber, you go and do something like this.....AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

Comment

Why not Minot?

Oh, we don't have time to get into the reasons.

This is the base where they lost the nuke a few years back, and the base where the lady pilot got punished for having an affair with a married subordinate that started up a big political furor, too.

From the people I know in ND, it's the least attractive part of the state. If not for the base, there wouldn't be much more than the occasional farm for miles and miles and tens of miles on end.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Never made it further west in North Dakota than Jamestown. Never wanted to either... I've heard it called Mindrot and their college is the Beavers.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Why not Minot?

Oh, we don't have time to get into the reasons.
              Never heard that one before...we always said: "Why not Minot?" "Freezin's the reason!" Winter sucks, of course. Summer can be nice, but it only lasts for 3-4 months. Level of suckiness also depends on what she likes to do for fun...Canada's not far away!

From the people I know in ND, it's the least attractive part of the state. If not for the base, there wouldn't be much more than the occasional farm for miles and miles and tens of miles on end.
              Yes, there is hardly any doubt that the town would not exist without the base there (pop. is roughly 37,000 & base personnel = 3,200 military & 420 civilian).
              โ€œTwo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Iโ€™m not sure about the universe.โ€ โ€”Albert Einstein

"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan, 40th president of the US (1911-2004)

Just when I thought you couldn't be any dumber, you go and do something like this.....AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

Comment

Originally posted by SIOUX4EVER View Post
                Never heard that one before...we always said: "Why not Minot?" "Freezin's the reason!" Winter sucks, of course. Summer can be nice, but it only lasts for 3-4 hours.
                FYP

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Fargo North, Decoder.

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Based on the responses thus far, I understand why they are sending a psychologist.
                    Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Hunting and fishing is great. But booze is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
                        Minot: think a desolate version of Bumf*, NE.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You know how people make fun of North Dakota for not having trees? In truth there are trees in the Red River Valley (Grand Forks, Fargo)...out west by Minot...not so much.

Get in contact with FightingSioux23...he is from there.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
                            This ^

I've spent a fair amount of time all over North Dakota and although it's far from cosmopolitan the people are some of the finest you'll ever meet.

Comment

I believe there is a very highly regarded golf course out there, ranked nationally. If she's into that.

Edit: Actually its not that close to Minot, its further west, deeper into BFE
                              Last edited by bigblue_dl; 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X