Whitetail deer hunting - 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whitetail deer hunting - 2009

Here's a story that hits close to home, why, I have deer all around my property.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues...ings/karenwood
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Here's a story that hits close to home, why, I have deer all around my property.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues...ings/karenwood
      i remember this well... we talked about it in my hunter safety course...

about a year later my father was almost shot by some ******* who was in a group that touched off a couple of rounds trying to jump something... a round hit the tree about 30 feet above my father's stand... he hasn't been back n the woods since...

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
        about a year later my father was almost shot by some ******* who was in a group that touched off a couple of rounds trying to jump something... a round hit the tree about 30 feet above my father's stand... he hasn't been back n the woods since...
        This is why deer drives should never be attempted by triggerhappy idiots. "Oh yeah, I'm just gonna randomly touch one off and try to scare them out of that swamp/thicket/whatever."

Honestly, my family has never seen it necessary to try and push deer out of hiding - go scouting early, find a place to put a blind or a treestand, and put your time in. If you did your homework, you should see something. Over a period of years, you can adjust a blind's location relative to deer patterns and habits until it produces deer a majority of the time (though I realize this is a lot easier when you hunt on private land).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold
          This is why deer drives should never be attempted by triggerhappy idiots. "Oh yeah, I'm just gonna randomly touch one off and try to scare them out of that swamp/thicket/whatever."
          exactly...

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          and put your time in.
          or as my father called it, "getting away from your (my) mother"

Comment

Got my buck late this afternoon. I was on stand, on a drive, once the drivers went past me, and I was out of the drive I walked back to the trucks, so I could go pick up the other guys, so they didn't have to walk so dam far. I get to the trucks, unload and case my gun, as I'm about to open the door of the truck I see a nice buck running across the corn field, so I hurry up and pull my gun out of the case. I only had enough time to get one shell in, pulled up and plugged him just as he was about to jump a line fence. Overall, I was mostly just lucky. The rack wasn't real impressive, it was a 9 point, because it had an extra brow tine on one side, but the body was HUGE, he weighed just over 200 lbs fully dressed out.

*****http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5255/dustindeer09r.jpg******
            Last edited by bigblue_dl; 11-25-2009, 10:16 PM.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Buck season doesn't start in PA until Monday. Most of the schools have that first day off (making a very long Thanksgiving weekend).

The three days before Thanksgiving are bear season.
              Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Was able to get in the woods today for my 1 day this season, ended up getting a 7 point tonight on afternoon watch, my first buck of my life. Roughly 110 pounds, probably 2 1/2 years old or so. I'll have pictures up later this week hopefully. Same thing happened last year (same stand, actually), except it was a 95lb doe instead.

Comment

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8...4614714983.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1...6629514983.jpg

Ended up dressing 115 or so.

My friend got this 9 pointer the week before, dressed 170.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2422/9point.jpg

Comment

If not for booze, this deer season would've been a total waste.

Muzzleloader season for the next seven days. Hopefully a turn in the weather will get the effers moving.
                    Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post

Muzzleloader season for the next seven days. Hopefully a turn in the weather will get the effers moving.
                      It has been real tough going over to the east too so far from what I've heard. Only this past weekend did anybody start seeing a lot of deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post

You aren't alone. My family's season was officially a bust.

My dad and uncle are looking forward to their third consecutive trip to Alabama in January, hopefully they can stock our freezer down there.

Comment

WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Comment

Originally posted by fritz View Post
                            *white deer video*
                            Does white deer meat taste like chicken? Until it snows they must be a lot easier to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Until it snows they must be a lot easier to shoot.
                              Except for the part about it being illegal. We had an albino "grey" squirrel around here for about a year, until it disappeared in the fall when the leaves fell. I'm guessing some hawk spotted a meal from a mile away.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X