Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ernie Harwell: A summertime companion

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    I had the opportunity to go by Comerica Park this morning and pay my respects. Mike Illitch and Dave Dombrowski were both there to greet each and every fan. It was a classy way to honor the classiest guy I have ever known.

Ernie Harwell is the single reason I liked baseball growing up. The Tigers were terrible when I was a kid, but every single night I listened to Ernie because I loved the way he made the game come alive in my mind.

As Ernie once spoke about Tiger Stadium, we say to him today..."Farewell ole friend...we will remember."
    Yeah, I went there myself on Thursday afternoon as well. Got in line there at about 2 with the line just a little past the Lot 3 exit/entrence on Montcolm Street, and was probably just a little more than a half our later I was shaking hands with Dave. Hope he soaked that arm in one of the pitchers tubs afterwords, he was going to feel it.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

one of the things I loved about Ernie - he didn't talk all the time. long pauses where you could hear the crowd. he also called the game, he didn't give opinions. d^mn he was good.

I also had the good fortune to meet him. a gentleman through and through.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

From Steve Simmons in today's Toronto Sun:

The late Ernie Harwell didn’t just talk baseball. He wrote the poetry of the game, also. And here is a sampling of that love of the game:

“Baseball is Tradition in flannel knickerbockers. And Chagrin in being picked off base. It is Dignity in the blue serge of an umpire running the game by rule of thumb. It is Humor, holding its sides when an errant puppy eludes two groundskeepers and the fastest outfielder. And Pathos, dragging itself off the field after being knocked from the box. Nicknames are baseball. Names like Zeke and Pie and Kiki and Home Run and Cracker and Dizzy and Dazzy. Baseball is a sweaty, steaming dressing room where hopes and feelings are as naked as the men themselves. It’s a dugout with spike-scarred flooring. And shadows across an empty ballpark. It’s the endless list of names in box scores, abbreviated almost beyond recognition.”
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Howard Berger of TheFan 590 has a unique perspective on Mr. Harwell by another legendary play-by-play announcer.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            As these old time broadcasters pass away, we lose not only great people, but our intimate connection with baseball on the radio, which for many of us, helps define the Sound of the American summer.

Baseball, with its languid pace, is built for radio. You can relax on your back porch on a summer evening, and hang out with with your dad and the game on in the background, and just enjoy that almost daily bond that develops between families, communities and their team. Most of us who grew up with limited baseball on TV have a true fondness for baseball on the radio, and with all the games on TV now, I think we are losing something...

RIP, Ernie.
            Well put, Swami.

I grew up in Detroit in the fifties and sixties and can remember listening to many a game on radio, and Ernie's smooth southern drawl, and yes, baseball is made for radio, absolutely.

Ernie, you will be missed! You made baseball what it is for me today. I still get the "tingles" when I walk into a ball park (I really do miss old Tiger Stadium), or pick up a glove and go out and play catch with my son, or a neighbor, or drive an hour and a half to play ball in an over 60 league on a cold Saturday in May. I don't think I would be so hooked on base ball without you Ernie. Thanks, and God Bless you!

A side note: I didn't realize that it has been FIFTY YEARS since the Tigers traded Harvey Kuenn to Cleveland for Rocky Colavito, who became my neighbor for a couple years. I always enjoyed hanging out there game day mornings, as Al Kaline and Dick McAuliffe came by and picked him up; my heros of the era.

Ah, the good old days, and I am very proud to say, even though I never met Ernie in person, he has been a factor in my life! Again, Thank you Ernie Harwell, and God Bless you!

Comment

Working...
            X