• Show
Clear All

• Lacrosse Tragedy at U of Virginia

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/...r_espn_5158985

Tragic on so many levels....

Re: Lacrosse Tragedy at U of Virginia

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Mein gott.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Mein gott.
      That was my reaction, too.

I can only imagine all the emotions in Charlottesville right now.

This goes so far beyond sports. So many dreams shattered....

Comment

so many questions right now...
        Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

i guess we will soon see how much/little espn learned from its reporting mistakes during the duke lacrosse fiasco.
          “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
          Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
          Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
          National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
            i guess we will soon see how much/little espn learned from its reporting mistakes during the duke lacrosse fiasco.
            Apparently not much... didn't take 'em long for them to connect that the accused went to the same prep school as the Dukies.

Absolutely horrible... as cliche as it is, rest in peace. Sounds like she was loved and respected by all who knew her. Justice will be served to those responsible.
            Originally posted by solovsfett
            To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Horrible tragedy. I haven't the words... these sorts of things leave holes in people's lives that cannot be filled.

As for ESPN... you know they'll exploit it and put the men's lacrosse tourney on the national spotlight. It's what they do.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                As for ESPN... you know they'll exploit it and put the men's lacrosse tourney on the national spotlight. It's what they do.
                It's strange. Yesterday, I was at the Denver vs Loyola game for the ECAC title (which DU won), and Loyola's star player was Colin Finnerty, one of the Duke players who was cleared of rape charges in 2008 and later transferred. I remember thinking what a great game this is, and that finally, the whole off-field craziness of the whole Duke scandal seemed to finally be over...

Now all the same satellite trucks will be racing for Charlottesville today...
                Last edited by Puck Swami; 05-03-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Lacrosse? Why? Such a small minor sport to have these two huge stories happen in such a short time.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    It's strange. Yesterday, I was at the Denver vs Loyola game for the ECAC title (which DU won), and Loyola's star player was Colin Finnerty, one of the Duke players who was cleared of rape charges in 2008 and later transferred. I remember thinking what a great game this is, and that finally, the whole off-field craziness of the whole Duke scandal seemed to finally be over...

Now all the same satellite trucks will be racing for Charlottesville today...
                    Colin went to my HS although many years after I went to it. That was such a sad situation and now this.......this is the unthinkable.
                    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Well, we shouldn't convict the guy yet but it's looking like he probably did it. His defense lawyer calls it an accident. I don't see how unless this story is false.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/04/...yeardley.love/

"George Huguely admitted on May 3, 2010 that he was involved in an altercation with Yeardly Love and that during the course of the altercation he shook Love and her head repeatedly hit the wall," Reeves wrote.

Love had "a large bruise on the right side of her face which appears to have been caused by blunt force trauma," according to the document. She was found face-down in a pool of blood.

"We are confident that Ms. Love's death was not intended, but an accident with a tragic outcome," defense attorney Francis Lawrence said after the hearing.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

How does repeatidly shaking someone's head into the wall become an accident? And with the force to cause death????? To me, accident seems like the wrong word.
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          How does repeatidly shaking someone's head into the wall become an accident? And with the force to cause death????? To me, accident seems like the wrong word.
                          I agree.

I'm coming up with second degree murder or manslaughter instead of accident after reading that.

Comment

The kid has essentially admitted he killed her in a rage, and he's knows he's going jail for a long time. Now it comes down to his lawyer spinning this away from premeditated murder life-in-prison crime to a 'spur of the moment altercation' that got out of hand, so he can get a reduced sentence for his client.

The scumbag is probably going away for at least 15-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              I agree.

I'm coming up with second degree murder or manslaughter instead of accident after reading that.
                              Well, right now it's 1st degree murder, so like Swami said, I guess he'll take what he can get.

Comment

Working...
                              X