Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lacrosse Tragedy at U of Virginia

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
    Well, right now it's 1st degree murder, so like Swami said, I guess he'll take what he can get.
    I'd be thrilled with first degree. I was thinking crime of passion immediately based on the circumstances of them having dated. I'm not seeing the first degree evidence reported yet.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm no lawyer, but it will be very, very hard for the prosecution to prove pre-meditiation beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence we've heard and seen so far.

So far, this looks to be a case of a stupid, out of control, and possibly drunken, breakup rage,with intent to injure, that resulted in death.

Not an accident at all, but probably not pre-meditated first degree murder, either.

My guess this will be plea-bargained before it gets to trial. I'm sticking with 15-20 years for now.

Comment

The local Charlottesville paper reported that death threats were made to the young women for a few weeks before she was killed. If that is correct, its going to be a lot tougher to argue this shouldn't be first degree murder. I don't know what constitutes mitigating circumstances in Virginia, but the usual suspects don't appear to be present here.

This guy could get life in prison and even the death penalty is possible (VA is number 2 behind Texas in number of executions)

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
          The local Charlottesville paper reported that death threats were made to the young women for a few weeks before she was killed. If that is correct, its going to be a lot tougher to argue this shouldn't be first degree murder. I don't know what constitutes mitigating circumstances in Virginia, but the usual suspects don't appear to be present here.

This guy could get life in prison and even the death penalty is possible (VA is number 2 behind Texas in number of executions)
          If thats true... Plea bargain to avoid the needle might be his only option. So sad.
          Originally posted by solovsfett
          To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Death threats would indeed prove premeditation if I were on the jury. It would be extremely sad if those threats ended up being true and this somehow wasn't prevented.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

My local radio host ranted about how the media was quick to pigeon hole lacrosse as a whole. I'm from Northern New York where there are a lot of quality players. Are there a few bad eggs? Yes, but that is with everything. The majority of lacrosse players are quality people.

As for the victim, what a tragedy. From what I gathered, she was a great person and student. Really sad.
              Twitter: DanMountSports
              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

In order to be convicted of first degree (intentional) murder, the Prosecution needs to prove the Defendant had a SPECIFIC INTENT to kill another. This speaks to one's state of mind, not their actions, and is very difficult to prove. There is an important distinction between intending to kill and intending to seriously injure, i.e. murder v. aggravated assault. What you might imply from the lawyers statements is that the Defendant has admitted to being angry and becoming violent, maybe even intending to injure. That does not mean he intended death. If that was the case the murder would be reckless or negligent, but not intentional. I.e. 2nd or 3rd v. 1st degree murder.

If there were written or witnessed verbal death threats, they would implicate some level of pre-meditation. But the context is critical here...

Comment

awful
                  “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                  Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                  Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                  National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Here's my viewpoint: this would be covered much differently if these two people were African American. This dude has been in jail for resisting arrest and other sorts of aggravated assault. If he had been black (with the same rap sheet), ESPN wouldn't be labeling it a "tragedy;" even though it is, regardless of race. Anytime someone is murdered it's a tragedy.

Not me being racist...I'm saying that the media has those tendencies.
                    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                      Here's my viewpoint: this would be covered much differently if these two people were African American. This dude has been in jail for resisting arrest and other sorts of aggravated assault. If he had been black (with the same rap sheet), ESPN wouldn't be labeling it a "tragedy;" even though it is, regardless of race. Anytime someone is murdered it's a tragedy.

Chris Henry, anyone?
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Chris Henry, anyone?
                        Pretend Chris Henry wasn't a professional athlete, for all intensive purposes this guy was a nobody.
                        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                          Pretend Chris Henry wasn't a professional athlete, for all intensive purposes this guy was a nobody.
                          There might be a class element mixed into this too. I'm not sure what the victim's socioeconomic status is, but the accused definitely comes from a privileged background and rich kids gone bad is always a story that sells.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                            Doesn't really matter, IMO.

Then how about Sean Taylor, who was charged with three felony counts (later plea bargained)? That's a little worse than being drunk, resisting arrest and such, and should bridge that pro-college gap.

I don't think this would be covered any differently.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Chris Henry, anyone?
                              No one committed a murder in that case.
                              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post

You are 100% correct. Many lacrosse players are white and tend to play at elite schools and often come from elite, upper income backgrounds. Thus, they are thought by the meida to have more "promise" and a far greater media interest. If these were two African American track athletes at Troy (Ala.) State, the story would be a lot smaller.

Comment

Working...
                                X